• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Long crank

Joseph

TJ Enthusiast
Hey all, started the Jeep cold this morning no issue. Only thing is that i’m the first 20 seconds the idle will dip down briefly for a second or two then go back up.
I went to start it at work again about 4 hours later and it had this really long crank before it started.
I already replaced the entire fuel pump assembly within the last 6-7 months, including the pressure regulator. I replaced all this because of having a long crank, as well as a totally inaccurate fuel gauge.
Haven’t checked the IAC or throttle body yet because I didn’t have a long enough torx to fit in there. The Jeep has a decent list of dealer maintenance and I’m not sure if it’s already been done or not.
Spark plugs were done around 115k, I just rolled over 140k.
Should I start with the IAC? Planning on doing a tune up and all that stuff this weekend anyway.
Thanks.

OP
Joseph

Joseph

TJ Enthusiast
I’d start with checking fuel pressure at the rail. Just because it’s a new pump doesn’t mean it’s still functioning properly.
True. I have not had a long crank at all since, so who knows. I’ll see if I can get a pressure tester from advance auto this weekend too.

Reactions: ranger101

tquig01

TJ Enthusiast
Could it possibly be my injectors?
While it could be, it isn't as likely. It is also way easier to start with the simple things to check first. Rule out fuel issues from the rail back before you start turning wrenches. There are only two places to lose pressure, the pump or the injectors. A bleed-down test will help you isolate the issue to 50% of the system.

OP
Joseph

Joseph

TJ Enthusiast
I’ll just stick with the plan of pressure testing then. I’m gonna do the IAC and sparkplugs anyway. Won’t hurt to change the oil either now that I’ve hit 4k since the last. Gonna be gorgeous out all weekend

Reactions: ranger101

Goatman

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
If replacing the fuel pump cured the long crank issue I would think the injectors should be ok. After you get the fuel rail pressure tester you will have a better idea where to look.