Long start after sitting, then starts up fine

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
Need some help diagnosing this: After sitting for a few hours, the engine won't crank on the first try. After the first try, it starts right up no problem. Here's a quick video.

I think I remember reading something about injectors leaking fuel into the cylinders, which needs to be burned off (during the long first try), then the engine starts up fine. Honestly, IDK. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Try cycling the key to the run position for a couple of seconds and then back off a few times before starting it to prime the fuel system. If it starts right away after, it's probably the anti-drainback valve.

Reactions: CODE5 and Tob
X3 the check valve in your fuel pump is leaking, replace the fuel pump. Avoid Airtex, Spectre, or any store brand. If you are handy and can replace just the fuel pump inside the fuel pump assembly, go for a Bosch. If you want an easier job replace the fuel pump assembly with a Delphi. Www.rockauto.com has them. Bosch, the OEM, no longer sells the entire assembly or I'd recommend that one.

Fuel pump replacement is relatively easy. Hardest part was putting the ill-conceived ring that holds the fuel pump in the tank back on. If you choose to replace the pump yourself, be prepared to curse that ring to hell. You will feel a great sense of acheivement when it finally threads on right

Fuel pump replacement is relatively easy. Hardest part was putting the ill-conceived ring that holds the fuel pump in the tank back on. If you choose to replace the pump yourself, be prepared to curse that ring to hell. You will feel a great sense of acheivement when it finally threads on right
The big white nylon ring that holds the entire assembly down in the tank? Yeah that can be a little difficult but a big strap wrench helps there a lot.

The big white nylon ring that holds the entire assembly down in the tank? Yeah that can be a little difficult but a big strap wrench helps there a lot.

Yeah. That's the thing. Problem I had was that it kept wanting to cross-thread no matter how carefully I lined it up and put even pressure on it while trying to get it started. Once I finally got it, it screwed all the way down smoothly. A couple of taps with a large flathead screwdriver and hammer put the final torque on it.

@SecondChanceTJ couple of things

1. I used a combination of the service manual and some YouTube videos to do the job. It is pretty straightforward.

2. since your pump is good, run the tank down low before you do the job. It will be much easier to lower and raise the tank with less fuel in it. Since you will be trying to route the filler tube down and out of the Jeep, this will make your life easier.

3. The difference between the whole pump and the Bosch pump module is labor when it's out of the tank. I don't know if the Bosch pump module has the anti-drainback valve. Maybe @Jerry Bransford can comment on that. If not, get the complete pump.

Reactions: Tob
@Jerry Bransford my 97’ 2.5l is having the exact problem. Just replaced the starter but still has a problem turning on until the second one like the video shown. Will the screenshot I took be the right choice?

794688DB-915A-4FE2-A7A6-98FECFFB753A.png

@Jerry Bransford my 97’ 2.5l is having the exact problem. Just replaced the starter but still has a problem turning on until the second one like the video shown. Will the screenshot I took be the right choice?

View attachment 167796
That is not the number I used for a 2003 but yes, that is what you want. Check the pert number for your year. I found them cheaper on amazon.

Reactions: jesuspalomino

View attachment 167796
I'm confused what you mean by not 'turning on'. Do you mean the starter motor cranks the engine normally but the engine isn't starting?

I'm confused what you mean by not 'turning on'. Do you mean the starter motor cranks the engine normally but the engine isn't starting?
Yeah sorry, that’s I meant. So pretty much after a night of sitting, when I go to crank it on, it doesn’t turn on till the second time just like the guy in the video on this thread showed. After changing my starter I still haven’t solved the issue. Is the pump I screen shotted from Delphi good or not the one for the 2.5l? I believe it’s 15 gallons if I’m correct

Yeah sorry, that’s I meant. So pretty much after a night of sitting, when I go to crank it on, it doesn’t turn on till the second time just like the guy in the video on this thread showed. After changing my starter I still haven’t solved the issue. Is the pump I screen shotted from Delphi good or not the one for the 2.5l? I believe it’s 15 gallons if I’m correct
I'm still confused, please don't use the term "turn on" again it is misleading me by what you mean. Do you mean the starter cranks the engine normally but the engine simply doesn't start while being cranked by the starter motor?

Yes the FG1355 is the correct Delphi fuel pump if you're absolutely certain you have the 15 gallon tank. Generally speaking even the 2.5L Wrangler SE came with the 19 gallon tank unless it was a very stripped down/basic SE.

"Yes the FG1355 is the correct Delphi fuel pump if you're absolutely certain you have the 15 gallon tank. Generally speaking even the 2.5L Wrangler SE came with the 19 gallon tank unless it was a very stripped down/basic SE. "

And if you have the slightest bit of uncertainty you can enter your VIN into this website to get your build sheet (All caps, starting after the equal sign) https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=