Long term satisfaction with the first JKU as a daily driver?

BoldlyGoing

TJ Addict
Other than the known issues with the 3.8L in terms of being short on power and an oil burner, anyone have any thoughts on the early Jk’s?

Can’t seem to convince the wife that a TJ/LJ is right for her and the kids- she’s convinced she needs 4 doors.

At any rate, I’ve got a line on an ‘08 for 13k with a handful of bolt on mods. Everything else looks good.

@StG58 has a JKU so he can comment on this. @MikeM and several others do as well, so hopefully they'll chime in. I believe @glwood used to have one as well.

There's actually a number of members on here who have both JKUs and TJs (hell, I almost did at one point too!).

Reactions: Starrs
Drove my JKR for 6 years, relatively trouble free. Had the computer lock up on me once. No start, doors wouldn't unlock, etc. Pulled the negative battery cable, and that seemed to reset it. Didn't do that again while I had it. There were 2 or 3 recall fixes I had done at the dealer. Can't speak to the 4 door, mine was a 2 door.

Do real Jeeps have 4 doors? :)

Reactions: jeep_boss and Chris
Mine is a 2011 JKU and was a two person choice, better ride great for long trips like 1500 miles plus to Utah and yes I/we take it off road here in WA. I have had no issues with oil burning or lack of power and the mileage has been very good for the size and box shape. If I was going alone and doing hardcore back country rock crawling then the smaller TJ would have been fine as I like them both. But short trips around here are an average of 5 hours windshield time one way and the next one is 1306 miles (Mt Rushmore) through Idaho Via Lolo pass and we need the interior room and comfort in our old age!! I know some on here hate the JK but I just wanted a Jeep the served our purposes and this model has. It will cruise at 80 MPH and still get reasonable gas mileage. My two cents!

utah-sage-brush.jpg

I don't think there can be any argument that the JKU is a much better highway (and long trip) rig than a TJ, period.

It's quieter, smoother, and more comfortable for long trips. I wouldn't ever buy a TJ with the intention of making it a vehicle for long highway trips.

Now having said that, we regularly drive our TJ on highway trips that are about 200 miles each way and it does just fine! With the hard top on, it's not that loud inside either (we have All Terrain tires too, which help).

Reactions: MikeM
Had a 10 jku, very nice ride the down sides were: short clutch life (probably would have been reasonable if I wasn't on 35s with 4.10 gears)

Power steering pump failure (you can still turn if you rev to at least 2k)

Catastrophic engine failure at 60k km.
Symptom: burned 5L of oil per tank of gas and ran like a diesel
(probably partly due to some water ingestion over time, never hydro locked, but the intake tube had mud stains inside. Partly due to build quality)
Prognosis: 2 cracked heads, bad pcv, 2 pistons had all the ring gaps lined up, scored cylinder walls on at least 2 pistons.
Fix: long block

Other common issues: like a tj, check your frame. (on the jku crud collects between the frame and the gas tank on top, at the bottom of the rear dogleg, it's hard to see with inner fenders)

Body control module rots from the inside as it's not waterproof. (bcm is the underhood fuse box but it's also a computer)

Roof leaks (worse then my LJ on its worst day)

Crappy headlights (worse than stock tj sealed beams)

Weak brakes (its a 5k lbs jeep what did you expect)

Other than that stuff it's a nice vehicle, I'd consider another for dd use but not for wheeling.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Chris
I don't think there can be any argument that the JKU is a much better highway (and long trip) rig than a TJ, period.

It's quieter, smoother, and more comfortable for long trips. I wouldn't ever buy a TJ with the intention of making it a vehicle for long highway trips.

Now having said that, we regularly drive our TJ on highway trips that are about 200 miles each way and it does just fine! With the hard top on, it's not that loud inside either (we have All Terrain tires too, which help).

Yes to me your correct both can be run on the highway for some people. To me it boils down to what your really going to use your Jeep for and how often you actually all are in the vehicle at the same time. I have had mine in the snow, mud, rocks and rough steep back country one lane roads and it did the job. It really is a personal like/dislike the same as Chevy VS Ford VS Dodge thing. The same with getting a lemon versus a vehicle that just keeps on going with no major issues. Test drive different models and vintages because the first Jeep I drove was one from the military bone yard that I rebuilt for an uncle and at the time (back in the late 60's) I felt it was the cats meow. but we towed it to Utah for hunting as it was too slow and rough riding to drive from California to Utah in the winter time. In the Utah woods with mud and snow it was almost unstoppable and that was with the old style military tires. Your choice has to be what is best for you.

Reactions: Chris
Strangely, I didn’t get any notifications that anyone responded here, so thanks guys.

We’ve looked at half a dozen of them now.

For what we want to spend, it looks like the 3.6 is out of reach.

Right now in the running are a ‘07 with all service receipts, mostly stock with some really ugly bumpers, 120 on the clock for $14. Sold by owner.

An ‘11 with 90 on it, Fox shocks, and a Sprintex Supercharger for $18. This one is immaculate, but the supercharger makes me nervous for maintaining it long term. I know nothing about them, but seems like it would increase wear. Sold by dealer.

Looking at an ‘08 this evening that looks good in pics, but know nothing else about it.

The others have been rust buckets or bleeding oil like a gunshot victim.

Reactions: MikeM and Chris
Really wish I could talk her back into a TJ or LJ. I feel so much more confident since I’ve had five of them!

I don't blame you. The overwhelming amount of electronics and gizmos on the JK is off-putting to me... Even the power windows feel unnecessary. I mean it's a Wrangler for goodness sakes!

Reactions: MikeM
My wife drives a 2014 JKU and I drive a 2006 TJ. We have been using the JKU for family vacations since we got it. Long trips from Florida to New Hampshire yearly during winter Summer trips to the mountains etc... We hare very happy with it. I can see how a TJ would not make a good family daily driver vehicle because of the 2 doors and if the kids are small it would be a pain to put in the car seat. Regular day to day tasks like Groceries etc.. are a lot easier on the JKU.

Reactions: MikeM and Chris
To me, the JKU would be the obvious choice with children.
I picked my girls up everyday from school and couldn't imagine fighting the back seat.
My kids are grown, back seat removed, TJ makes perfect sense with tons of room.
By far my favorite vehicle to date.

DD with children = JKU

To me, the JKU would be the obvious choice with children.
I picked my girls up everyday from school and couldn't imagine fighting the back seat.
My kids are grown, back seat removed, TJ makes perfect sense with tons of room.
By far my favorite vehicle to date.

DD with children = JKU
For sure. As much as I love my LJ, using it as a DD with the kids recently has been a chore to say the least

Reactions: MikeM and Bird