Longer replacement spare tire "snubbers" or rubber tailgate bumpers?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I read Chris use the term "snubber". So it must be correct. ;) I keep calling them rubber bumpers.

I'm just wondering. Rather than cutting up a bunch of snubbers (or hockey pucks) to sandwich them into a longer version. Does anyone know of another rubber stop like that that would work? Like maybe even something from a different model vehicle or application?

Just wondering if there's a simpler solution? I'm having to stack up 3-4+ cut up snubbers to get the distance I need to hit the tire firmly. I'm using the Smittybuilt spare tire adapter. Which adds another 2-3 inches of distance - from the spare tire to the tailgate. And a stock JK wheel and tire (255/70r17?) that adds distance as well. I haven't measured but I'm guessing you'd need a 4 and 5 incher to reach the spare.

And since you can't really see them. It wouldn't matter what exact shape they were. They'd need to just be able to be bolted on and be at least 4 to 5 inches tall. But a similar height would be fine as you could grind off some of the length on either end. Again, no one sees them. And it seems like one piece of metal reinforced rubber would be better than a stack of so many sections of a stock one.

EDIT - Scroll down and see the solution. Rubber mallet heads from HArbor Freight. They cost about $2.99. And are just about the right length. They can be cut too. To make custom lengths. Genius.

Last edited:
I used rubber stool/table/chair feet protector caps. Drilled holes in them and bought longer hardware. Then added them on top of the snubbers. Trimmed the caps to contact the tire. Cheap and quick. I must have deleted pics so I can take some in the morning if you can’t picture what I’m describing.

I bought three OE snubbers & trimmed them to fit under my OE snubbers. Blended in perfectly, looked factory.

Same here.

Measure how much I needed, placed in a vice at that depth, used the vise surface as a guide for my hacksaw. Used longer bolts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber1 and Shamu
I’m gonna suggest you don’t need them if your tire is sitting on the bumper as it appears in your last photo? I had the same issue you have but the gap appeared too large to fill with a bunch of stacked snubbers or other similar spacers so instead I’ve always used the bumper itself to hold the spare steady which is what the snubbers are supposed to do so the tire doesn’t jiggle around weakening & eventually breaking the carrier. If your tire is like mine (very firmly jammed onto the bumper) it carries some/all of the weight of the tire and prevents it from jiggling even a little.

I did have a problem with this however, it was difficult putting the tire on because of the tight fit, really one of those instances where I could’ve used 3 arms. I ended up bolting a couple brackets onto the bumper to use as a small shelf which I use to hold the tire on while I put the lug nuts on, & also to help hold the weight of the tire:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/my-redneck-tire-carrier.12860/

by the way I put these on about six months ago & have wheeled it quite a bit since then & notwithstanding the predictions that it would bend/wouldn’t last it remains tight as a frog’s ass & unbent. Prior to that the bumper alone held the tire on the same way without issue.

Reactions: matkal
I used a rubber washer (to keep the paint scratch free) and PVC with larger hardware to extend it. Worked pretty well.

IMG_20180617_180504.jpg

Same here.

Measure how much I needed, placed in a vice at that depth, used the vise surface as a guide for my hacksaw. Used longer bolts.

View attachment 76665

This is basically what I've done. Except I used a 4" angle grinder. Went alot faster. Not the most perfect cut. But sandwiching them hid all signs. the cut was straight. Just the surface of the cut was a little rough. But once you smash them together you can't tell.

I like the PVC idea. But I'm only one or two more spacers away from hitting tire.

I like the idea of a "semi tractor hood bumper". Those were the type of search terms I was looking for to identify another rubber stop like this that might be 4 or 5 inches long. That would be a direct bolt on. I'll look around. But if all else fails. I'll just add more snubber spacers I guess. Jerry's right they do look stock. But so would a similar type of bumper from another application. I'll look around.

My tire doesn't hit the bumper anymore. Now that I put the smittybuilt adapter on. Which is what's pictured. It looks like the tire might be hitting it but it isn't.

Someone would make a killing selling similar bumpers with 3", 4" and 5" lengths. As every spare is different. And needs a different length bumper to meet the tire. Hopefully when I'm done I'll have a three point attachment to the tire. I'm not going to try to do all 5 or however many there are. In the end at least when you cut the snubbers you can dictate length to get it just right.

Now to go get some real lug nuts to finish it off. Just noticed that 4WP's kept my set of new lug nuts. And just put the old ones back on. They also left the weights on the outside of two wheels. And the rest are on the inside like I requested. That place is a such a cluster#$%^! I don't even want to go back there to make them do it right. Salesmen are such a-holes there. Try to avoid that place if you can. Or maybe your local one is better than mine. The one in Redondo Beach is a mess. I'll never go back.

Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciated. I'll post up the job once it's finished to my satisfaction.

Just noticed that 4WP's kept my set of new lug nuts. And just put the old ones back on. They also left the weights on the outside of two wheels. And the rest are on the inside like I requested. That place is a such a cluster#$%^! I don't even want to go back there to make them do it right. Salesmen are such a-holes there. Try to avoid that place if you can. Or maybe your local one is better than mine. The one in Redondo Beach is a mess. I'll never go back.

The 4WP here is just the same. They pretty much cater to the JK bling crowd. I wouldn't have them install a trailer ball in a receiver hitch.

Haven't seen my solution posted here. I purchased 5 rubber mallets from Harbor Freight.

Drilled holes the length of the hammer head with extended length drill bit and then used a 1/2" wood bit to drill about an inch deep. Purchased longer bolts from Lowes and added washers under the bolt head to provide better base for tension. Mounted 33" tires - MT Baja MTZ and BJG KOs perfectly.

Driver's Lower

Passenger Top

Cut off handles and turned to inside so you can't see the wood in the head. Installed over 10+ years ago. These things are bullet proof.

Edit: The 5th hammer? It's the one I am holding in my hand. They are cheap and needed one for the garage.

Haven't seen my solution posted here. I purchased 5 rubber mallets from Harbor Freight.
View attachment 78247
View attachment 78249

Drilled holes the length of the hammer head with extended length drill bit and then used a 1/2" wood bit to drill about an inch deep. Purchased longer bolts from Lowes and added washers under the bolt head to provide better base for tension. Mounted 33" tires - MT Baja MTZ and BJG KOs perfectly.
View attachment 78254
Driver's Lower

View attachment 78255
Passenger Top

Cut off handles and turned to inside so you can't see the wood in the head. Installed over 10+ years ago. These things are bullet proof.

Edit: The 5th hammer? It's the one I am holding in my hand. They are cheap and needed one for the garage.

Genius! The real King Of the Hammers.

Reactions: Sam Solo
View attachment 78247
View attachment 78249

View attachment 78254
Driver's Lower

View attachment 78255
Passenger Top

Holy Sh*t that's cool! That's exactly what I was thinking. Some other piece of rubber that you could use. Genius man! :) Those hammers probably cost 4 bucks too! Awesome.

Reactions: Sam Solo
I wanted to post the pic of the size of the head length. There are a bunch of different sizes in case your tires are a little bit different in size.