Longer replacement spare tire "snubbers" or rubber tailgate bumpers?

Does anyone know what the factory bolt size is? I want to buy some longer bolts before pulling them off.

Just replaced mine this weekend - not sure if they're all the same but on my 2000 sport:

M6x1.0

I ended up buying a few 50mm and a few 60mm so that I could have about 10mm of thread 'insurance' - which is okay because the door is thicker than 10mm!

Good luck

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Just replaced mine this weekend - not sure if they're all the same but on my 2000 sport:

M6x1.0

I ended up buying a few 50mm and a few 60mm so that I could have about 10mm of thread 'insurance' - which is okay because the door is thicker than 10mm!

Good luck

Cool, thanks man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem - one helpful thing to add is that the stock bolt length was about 15mm - so add whatever your spacer thickeness is to that and that will be the length of your new bolt. I rounded up to the nearest 5mm just for good measure.

Perfect, thanks again!

One last question. What size is the stock bolt head. I squeezed a 10mm in there and it seemed small. It also seems like a deep socket is needed. Thanks

I used some plumping parts (cap and plug) to extend my snubbers. The threads allowed me to adjust the length for best fit.

Last edited:
I went from the OEM rims and 29" tires (2000 Sport) to M/T 15x8 Alcoas with 31" tires, so was able to increase snubber length using a stack of large thick steel washers with a large rubber washer next to the paint. Each was lengthened just enough to maintain tightness and the top two had to be rotated to maintain contact with the sidewall. I thought about making custom turned extensions, but...nah. Bolts were M6x1 Phillips panheads. Regular longer bolts can be found at a well stocked hardware store, gotta go to McMaster for stainless ones. This arrangement lasted 18 years with hardly any tailgate sag until I installed the Exogate hinges last month.

Recently added 32"s on the Jeep and upgraded the spare as well. The wheel offset is 3.75".
I added 1" pucks under the 2 OEM upper bumpers and stacked 2 together on the lower bumper.

How tight should the spare be to the tailgate bumpers? The OEM spare had some pretty gnarly impressions in the sidewalls when I took it off.
Current pressure in the spare is at 29 PSI.

FYI, there are two Jeep snubber heights/thicknesses. I used a mix of tall & shorter snubbers with fiber washers as shims. As mentioned before, the three snubbers will need to be different heights to avoid undue stress on the door skin.
Snubbers with Shims.JPG

I know that this is not a "recent" thread, but what is the size of the screw you used when extending the snubbers? My experience is that most, if not all, screw/bolts on the TJ are SAE. However, when I took my existing screw into HD, it read as a M6. They don't stock anything longer than maybe 2" in M6.

I know this is an old thread, but i wanted to give an idea i found that worked for me. I recently bought a 1997 TJ with a 2" lift, running 31's. I had a bad rattle when hitting bumps, so i found out through this site that I needed to check my tailgate tire bumpers. Sure enough, they were about 1" from hitting the tire. After looking around my shop, I found a hard rubber exhaust insulator that I had left over, and it seemed about the same size as the OEM bumper. It was 1" thick! I had to buy 2" bolts to accommodate the extra thickness.

bumper3.jpg

bumper2.jpg

bumper1.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone ever had trouble finding bolts long enough becuase the tire/carrier were too far away from the body. Longest bolts I could find anywhere were 110mm. Only solution I could think of so far was a connector + threaded rod or a standoff.

Have the Hyline bumper with tire carrier installed.

IMG_3559.jpg

Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone ever had trouble finding bolts long enough becuase the tire/carrier were too far away from the body. Longest bolts I could find anywhere were 110mm. Only solution I could think of so far was a connector + threaded rod or a standoff.

Have the Hyline bumper with tire carrier installed.

View attachment 332484
So you need like a 5.5 inch bolt maybe? I went to Ace Hardware. But mine has a whole room of fasteners. Mcmaster carr would be my only suggestion. But call or email them. Their salesmen are engineers. And super knowledgeable. And super nice. Just tell them what threads and how long. Im sure they could hook you up. I've purchased really weird stuff from them. If they don't have nobody does. You can try their website. But calling or emailing is often better.

Reactions: JMT
So you need like a 5.5 inch bolt maybe? I went to Ace Hardware. But mine has a whole room of fasteners. Mcmaster carr would be my only suggestion. But call or email them. Their salesmen are engineers. And super knowledgeable. And super nice. Just tell them what threads and how long. Im sure they could hook you up. I've purchased really weird stuff from them. If they don't have nobody does. You can try their website. But calling or emailing is often better.
My ace didn’t have much of a selection and Home Depot only had the 110mm. Even on McMaster the longest I could find was 120mm. But I didn’t try calling. I appreciate it I will give them a call tomorrow

Reactions: JMT