Looked at this 2004 4-cylinder today, suggestions?

Coops75

Hi everyone. I could use any opinions. I read through the sticky for buying so have an idea what to look for. I was worried about the rust but the frame seems fine, it's mainly on heat shields and exhaust. Body under carpets no rust and frame seems pretty good. Some rusty bolts but not much else. Needs a new top. Only has 50000miles on it and one owner (70yrld guy). I'd prefer a 6cyl but 4 will be fine as everything is flat in Cancun and will mainly just be used on crappy roads and the beach once in a while.
A few gaskets need to be done, which will be cheap to do where I live.
Anyway, here are a few pics in case anyone sees anything.
Thanks for any input.

20210131_144824.jpg

20210131_144733.jpg

20210131_144729.jpg

20210131_144613.jpg

20210131_144554.jpg

20210131_144531.jpg

20210131_143603.jpg

20210131_143512.jpg

20210131_143600.jpg

Reactions: Chief Brohician
Hi everyone. I could use any opinions. I read through the sticky for buying so have an idea what to look for. I was worried about the rust but the frame seems fine, it's mainly on heat shields and exhaust. Body under carpets no rust and frame seems pretty good. Some rusty bolts but not much else. Needs a new top. Only has 50000miles on it and one owner (70yrld guy). I'd prefer a 6cyl but 4 will be fine as everything is flat in Cancun and will mainly just be used on crappy roads and the beach once in a while.
A few gaskets need to be done, which will be cheap to do where I live.
Anyway, here are a few pics in case anyone sees anything.
Thanks for any input.

View attachment 222610

View attachment 222611

View attachment 222612

View attachment 222613

View attachment 222614

View attachment 222616

View attachment 222617

View attachment 222618

View attachment 222619

20210131_145349.jpg

Would help knowing the price.

Personally Sit and wait for a 4.0 coming from an owner that had a 2.5L
Works out to about $8000 US.
Cancun is filled with car size speed bumps and dirt roads you have to crawl down. There are a few 4.0's but a few thousand more and triple the kms. Not easy to find a decent one here. I've been looking for a year now.

• Sad
Works out to about $8000 US.
Cancun is filled with car size speed bumps and dirt roads you have to crawl down. There are a few 4.0's but a few thousand more and triple the kms. Not easy to find a decent one here. I've been looking for a year now.
Import a clean 6 cyl from the US?

$8000 seems a bit steep honestly. That thing looks crusty and unmaintained.

Up here I would think that would go for around 6k in it's current condition. If it were me I would hold out and look for a cleaner 4.0.

Up here I would think that would go for around 6k in it's current condition. If it were me I would hold out and look for a cleaner 4.0.
Yeah, I'm mexico, jeeps are high demand so prices are more. But honestly, the body is good, interior good,

Yeah, in Mexico they are high demand. They're probably the most overpriced vehicle here.
I'm drawn to it because of the one owner and low kms. I've seen virtually nothing else except high kms, multiple owners. The body and interior is pretty good. I'll prob just wait and see if they lower the price a couple thousand.

What gaskets needs replacing? You could get the seller to lower the price because of that.

Yeah, I'm mexico, jeeps are high demand so prices are more. But honestly, the body is good, interior good,

Yeah, in Mexico they are high demand. They're probably the most overpriced vehicle here.
I'm drawn to it because of the one owner and low kms. I've seen virtually nothing else except high kms, multiple owners. The body and interior is pretty good. I'll prob just wait and see if they lower the price a couple thousand.
They are the strongest priced of any used from a percentage of MSRP standpoint...anywhere.

I'm just telling you 8k is too strong for that

That is a ton and a half of surface rust. It seems to be everywhere there wasn't/isn't paint. Anything around here with that much surface rust also has huge holes in the top of the front fenders and under the tail lights and doors so I think you'll be alright there.

A 70 yr old guy may not have kept up with the best needed maintenance but he probably didn't abuse the hell out of it either. The mileage is pretty low so if it's not smoking or making any strange sounds and doesn't try to shake you to death you'll probably be alright there too.

Since you've been looking for a year you already know the general price of other Jeeps in your area. Couple that with you knowing what kind of stuff this Jeep will be driven on and my advise is don't get discouraged by our somewhat unknown opinions regarding that stuff.

I hate the prices here... I found another jeep 6cyl, 2003...
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4050851714959889/?ref=facebook_story_shareBut I really hate paying so much. At least I talked to the owner who seems to have taken good care of it
Yeah I couldn't see paying $11k for that. Oversized tires to big for the lift, probably not geared correctly either. Maybe negotiate down? Its a 4.0L and an auto, that's a plus. Not a lot of choices in MX. Most Jeeps end up with rental fleets and tour companies. I don't seem many TJ's privately owned. I used to rent one from a small rental place in PV for $40 a day. They took all the front drives shaft out because tourist would take them way out into the jungle and get them stuck.

• Haha
Import a clean 6 cyl from the US?
They tried to "import" mine twice when I lived in AZ. I was told be the police that they are very popular in Mexico and easy for people to sell quickly.
Realistically, though, a TJ is to old to import in to Mexico. They have some strange laws on vehicles over 10 years old.
If you are truly interested in the Jeep I would make the owner an offer. The worst he can say is no and you just tell him to call if he changes his mind. You'd be amazed how much people will take under their asking price when a firm offer is made.

Why do people care how many owners a car has had? Serious question I don't get it.
I wouldn't care if I was still in Canada and it had a good carfax. But in Mexico it's more important for papers and to have the original "factura".