Looked at this 2004 4-cylinder today, suggestions?

That rust looks superficial. Can you borescope the inside of the frame? I’d hammer them on price because of that, 4 cylinder ok for Quintana Roo terrain, and low miles are a plus.

Reactions: Chief Brohician
Why do people care how many owners a car has had? Serious question I don't get it.
Because a one or two owner vehicle is more likely to have been regularly and correctly serviced/ maintained.
If the newest TJ is now 20 years old then a one or two owner was Kept by them longer than most vehicles usually would be kept and would have required correct service/maintenance/repairs else it would be dead.

Seems some TJ,s get handed around like Juicy Fruit because new drivers love the style but rarely consider the maintenance and gas costs until they have blown too much cash on the more important lift and 35,s. :)

Reactions: Blondie70
Most of that rust does appear to be superficial, but I can tell you you're going to have to replace that gas tank skid. Depending upon skill and where you will have to work on it at, it can be a shitty job. I would go over the evap, gas and brake lines with a fine tooth comb and not be surprised if you have to replace those too.

Hey, yeah, I used a scope and inside of the frame is fine. I did find out that the jeep was used for tours just outside of Mexico city. So not sure how I feel about that.

Yeah I couldn't see paying $11k for that. Oversized tires to big for the lift, probably not geared correctly either. Maybe negotiate down? Its a 4.0L and an auto, that's a plus. Not a lot of choices in MX. Most Jeeps end up with rental fleets and tour companies. I don't seem many TJ's privately owned. I used to rent one from a small rental place in PV for $40 a day. They took all the front drives shaft out because tourist would take them way out into the jungle and get them stuck.
Yeah, lots from rental fleets. But crazy prices. Found one more but a 2007.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/216770913362656/

I wouldn't waste your time with a 4 cylinder TJ for that price, or any 2007-2011 Jeep Wrangler JK which will have the dreaded 3.8 V6. The 3.8 is underpowered, consumes more oil than was spilled in the Gulf, and is known to spin bearings. Hold out for a 4.0L Jeep, you'll be glad you did.

That's about three winters worth of rust up here in the rust belt. Far from "rusted out"

Hi everyone. I could use any opinions. I read through the sticky for buying so have an idea what to look for. I was worried about the rust but the frame seems fine, it's mainly on heat shields and exhaust. Body under carpets no rust and frame seems pretty good. Some rusty bolts but not much else. Needs a new top. Only has 50000miles on it and one owner (70yrld guy). I'd prefer a 6cyl but 4 will be fine as everything is flat in Cancun and will mainly just be used on crappy roads and the beach once in a while.
A few gaskets need to be done, which will be cheap to do where I live.
Anyway, here are a few pics in case anyone sees anything.
Thanks for any input.

View attachment 222610

View attachment 222611

View attachment 222612

View attachment 222613

View attachment 222614

View attachment 222616

View attachment 222617

View attachment 222618

View attachment 222619
Hang on. I am positive those feet are not from the factory. May want to look for other aftermarket upgrades. 🤣

All factors involved. I would say a decent price would be between $7k-$8k. Why? The maintenance you will have to do on the frame and other parts to remove rust, possibly repair and paint. Eventually some parts replaced due to rust. You are not trying to rip him off, but also you don’t want to get ripped off. Most I would go is $9k considering you particular market. TJ’s around the South keep rising. I am looking a a 2.5L 5 speed for my son. He joined the military to learn about diesels. Thinking after his contract he can swap it out for a diesel while he goes to college. I also want to drive around a stick for old times sake. (Having to justify the third Jeep to the wife) will have to see if this next deployment interferes with that plan. It is only $5k.