Looking at a Jeep that has been repaired from an accident

Schat64

Hey I'm new to the forum but i've loved jeeps for as long as i can remember and i have the the oportunity to buy a 2006 Jeep Rubicon thats stock but it was in an accident about 7-10 years ago that did about 10k in damage and was repaired is there anything i should be weary of it has a clean title and is a clean frame and body but i just wanted to know if i will run into any issue because of the accident?

Seems like there are enough TJ's out there for sale. I'd walk unless you are getting a great deal.

Unless I could see photos of the accident I wouldn't bother buying it unless they're just giving it away.

Also remember that if it has a branded title, most insurance companies won't insure vehicles with branded titles.

Unless I could see photos of the accident I wouldn't bother buying it unless they're just giving it away.

Also remember that if it has a branded title, most insurance companies won't insure vehicles with branded titles.
its a clean title according to the carFax and i know i would love to be able to see some but i have no idea how i would get those

its a clean title according to the carFax and i know i would love to be able to see some but i have no idea how i would get those

Yeah, I'd want to see pictures, especially since 10k of damage is way more than a fender bender. But, if they didn't have pictures I'd feel iffy about it. I'd certainly have it checked out by a body shop with a rack to inspect the frame on (with lasers) at the very least.

Yeah, I'd want to see pictures, especially since 10k of damage is way more than a fender bender. But, if they didn't have pictures I'd feel iffy about it. I'd certainly have it checked out by a body shop with a rack to inspect the frame on (with lasers) at the very least.

That's spot on advice. We have a shop locally that can straighten frames. If you have a shop like that around, I would also let th have a look.

How many miles since the accident? 10k in damage almost sounds like it may have been rolled

Reactions: Chris
okay thanks for the advice I definitely will take it to a body shop and get it on a rack before i do anything is there and there has been better 60 and 100thousand miles put on the Jeep since the accident it happened pretty early on in the Jeeps life

I wouldn’t think twice about buying it under the conditions you mentioned unless there are blatantly obvious wreck related problem. Assuming it’s been driven for 7-10 years since the wreck I can’t see how any accident related problem hasn’t been found and taken care of by now. I’d be way more cautious if the rig was fixed within a year than something that was fixed many years ago.

So just an FYI from someone that has been in the collision business 30+ years and have seen many car fax reports and has done post repair inspections on the vehicles. Car fax is not 100% accurate on their report. A perfect example is my wife’s Subaru, the car fax showed it was involved in a lt front collision with a bridge embankment and had 10k in damages....in reality it had a little over 1k in damages and was hit in a parking lot. I fixed it so I know what I did. I replaced a rim,tire, and refinished the front cover. A far cry from the report. When we traded it in I had to show photos and the repair information. I take car fax reports with a grain of salt. I have also seen clean car fax on vehicles that were butchered.

Reactions: Willys LJ
You only know about the accident cuz there was an insurance claim, how many TJs are damaged on the trail with no record. 10 years ago? I'd hardly worry. But yes, get an inspection done.

The inspection plus this.... it has a clean title and is a clean frame and body... it the price is right.
And you might be able to get it with a low offer.

Thanks for all the help I’m gonna get a PPI and have them check everything out but i think for the money given what the rubis are going for and the fact that it’s a clean one here in Canada as long as everything checks out with the PPI I don’t foresee an issue hopefully it all works out and I’ll be joining the Jeep club very soon

People say that all the time, but I've never known it to be true. I've been with State Farm and Farmers, and neither cares about a non-clean title.

It doesn't take that much for high dollar insurance claim amounts. About 4-5 years ago, two people were involved in an accident, someone running a red light, and a truck turning in front of them. Said truck rolled back into the front of my Dodge Magnum R/T. Claimed $5k in damages. I needed a new hood, front bumper, head lights, radiator and AC condensor. Doesn't seem like that should cost $5k, but that's what the repair cost was stated as.

It doesn't take that much for high dollar insurance claim amounts. About 4-5 years ago, two people were involved in an accident, someone running a red light, and a truck turning in front of them. Said truck rolled back into the front of my Dodge Magnum R/T. Claimed $5k in damages. I needed a new hood, front bumper, head lights, radiator and AC condensor. Doesn't seem like that should cost $5k, but that's what the repair cost was stated as.

Sadly, that could be fixed for $500 in used parts. The "like new" insurance repair requirement is a killer. If an airbag blows, that adds $1500-2000 to the total even if it's $20 to swap in a used one.

Definitely have it inspected at the dealership and a bodyshop. Mine had been in a similar accident. It originally came with full doors and a hardtop. But after it's early life accident they put some black painted, originally yellow, half doors on it and a soft top. The hoods a tiny bit crooked. But I used the accident to negotiate the price down. That and the need to repair.

People say that all the time, but I've never known it to be true. I've been with State Farm and Farmers, and neither cares about a non-clean title.

Usually they'll insure for liability, just not full coverage. That's been my experience at least.

Usually they'll insure for liability, just not full coverage. That's been my experience at least.

Not at all true in my experience. Let me rephrase my original comment: I've yet to find an insurance company that treats branded titles any different from clean ones. I'm of the opinion it's an old wives' tail.