Looking at a trail radio

RETRACTION REQUIRED!!!

well, good grief. i had to laugh at myself today when i checked the mail and remembered this forum thread...

20211124_105705.jpg

radioddity emailed and said the new uv-9g was back in stock, and before i knew what happened, my card number was in there, and i hit accept. my excuse; it is only $40. so after telling you you would regret a handheld, i now have 4 gmrs capable units.

i stick by my previous vote that you'll still want a mounted unit :)

RETRACTION REQUIRED!!!

well, good grief. i had to laugh at myself today when i checked the mail and remembered this forum thread...

View attachment 292286

radioddity emailed and said the new uv-9g was back in stock, and before i knew what happened, my card number was in there, and i hit accept. my excuse; it is only $40. so after telling you you would regret a handheld, i now have 4 gmrs capable units.

i stick by my previous vote that you'll still want a mounted unit :)

For a dedicated trail rig, I do really like having a permanently mounted radio and antenna. Probably due to a bit of OCD, I just like having everything permanently in the rig. That way the morning of a trail run, you know you're not forgetting anything.

If you're going to be spotting or out of the Jeep much, a handheld is also helpful. If I'm leading, I like to bring a spare to loan to someone that doesn't have a radio. Especially since that ends up usually being the person with the least experience.

I'm a man with few regrets, and the wife really doesn't want a radio mounted to the dash, header, etc. of HER jeep, so I'm gonna continue to pick my battles wisely and stay on the right side of my averages. ;)

I did see a few older units advertised locally that have a remote mounted/hidden base module, but they would also need some type of externally mounted antenna (which again falls into her objection colum). ;)

I seem to remember we had a CB antenna w/a magnetic base when I was a kid... might look into that option and the unit w/ the hidden base (display on the handset).
If you have the time and money, a Yaesu FTM400 is a good choice to keep everyone happy. It is a remote head only mount. It is easily modified to MARS/CAP and GMRS. In my wife's expedition, I used a ram ball/ double T slot mount for the head. When it is not in use, I have a extra mount to hold a phone. The only indicator of radio is the short antenna on the rear passenger window.

This link shows a bunch of "DIY" type parts to get it done. The site also has good ideas for hand held mounts too.

https://www.lidomounts.com/parts-and-connectors.html