Looking for a good sounding exhaust

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Title says it all, I want my Jeep to sound more mean, it looks mean but doesn’t sound as mean.

I’ve been looking online but I would like some insight, any help is appreciated!

There isn't much to it. Go to your local exhaust shop and have them install a new muffler and pipe from the cat back. That's all it's going to take to make you engine sound louder is a different muffler.

The 4.0 isn't a great sounding engine though to begin with IMHO. It tends to drone, so I would stay away from loud exhausts unless you like driver fatigue.

Don't waste your money on any of the so-called "cat-back" systems you see online. They are an absolute waste of money. They charge you $500, when an exhaust shop will build you the same setup for $200.

There isn't much to it. Go to your local exhaust shop and have them install a new muffler and pipe from the cat back. That's all it's going to take to make you engine sound louder is a different muffler.

The 4.0 isn't a great sounding engine though to begin with IMHO. It tends to drone, so I would stay away from loud exhausts unless you like driver fatigue.

Don't waste your money on any of the so-called "cat-back" systems you see online. They are an absolute waste of money. They charge you $500, when an exhaust shop will build you the same setup for $200.
Lol this is what I was looking for. I was gonna purchase one on extreme terrain but if any shop can do the same thing then i’ll just do it at a shop

Lol this is what I was looking for. I was gonna purchase one on extreme terrain but if any shop can do the same thing then i’ll just do it at a shop

Yep, that's what most of us do. It's a very, very easy project for any shop.

Title says it all, I want my Jeep to sound more mean, it looks mean but doesn’t sound as mean.

I’ve been looking online but I would like some insight, any help is appreciated!

I have the MBRP on mine and it sounds good with a low rumble. You def know I'm coming down the street but it's not obnoxious.
That being said I have grown tired of it and I am looking to go back to stock.

Stock cat. No muffler. It’s mean. Sounds decent. But your ear drums will hate you. So will everyone on the trail.

I can attest to the drone and that is why I'm going back to stock. Call me a sissy but when on the highway or driving with my doors off I have sound dampening ear plugs because I already have tinnitus in my ears.

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
I can attest to the drone and that is why I'm going back to stock. Call me a sissy but when on the highway or driving with my doors off I have sound dampening ear plugs because I already have tinnitus in my ears.

I'm with you all the way. The 4.0 will never be one of those great sounding engines.

With an exhaust it just drones like no other on the highway, and it's ultimately annoying as hell. For that reason I would personally never run any exhaust other than the stock setup, or a setup that uses an aftermarket muffler, but a very well insulated and quiet muffler.

The drone is just too much to bare.

Reactions: DuncLJ
I have the Banks Monster cat back on the 4.0l. Sounds great the first
few thousand miles but after that it was annoying. Maybe I'm getting older but I rather have the stock catback on it again.

Reactions: Chris
I remember when i was going through the, ‘what exhaust to buy’ or ‘which catback sounds good’ myself. I went to a shop, Meineke, which I already suspected wasn’t the best choice simply because it’s a chain. They wanted $200, just for a Magnaflow muffler. That didn’t include install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: KCNoDots
I have the Banks as well. I picked it up used, was about a week old cause the guy didn't like it. Mine was starting to rust out anyway, but for $100 bucks, couldn't beat it. To me it's a little louder than stock, but not obnoxious. Nice low rumble. Mine is not a daily, and I hardly even notice it.

I have the Thrush Welded muffler. It gets great reviews online, but it is not meant for a 4.0. It sounds like a prolonged uninterrupted fart. I ditched the stock muffler because it is hideously long and fat on the LJ. So now I'm looking for a slimmer and shorter muffler, but with a closer to stock tone.

The straight six can sound decent, and IMO a lot better than the newer 3.8 or 3.6s can sound.
Here is a clip of mine from my build forum. It is a simple Magnaflow 10415 replacing the stock muffler, and exiting out the back of the Jeep.

I have a Flowtech Raptor muffler on my 4.0 manual, to me has a better sound than factory, but not to loud, I drive as a daily

I went with the Flow Master super 44 with the dynomax tailpipe. Here's a short video of what it sounds like. I got the stainless.

your question is very subjective, everybody will have something they like or don't. And this video gives you a slight idea but can't really show you what it's like hearing it in person.

Overall I like it, I like the sound of it. it's not obnoxious going down the road for other drivers and it doesn't wear on me like some loud exhausts do.

but yes it's a straight 6 cylinder and will never sound like I mean V8.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Stock cat. No muffler. It’s mean. Sounds decent. But your ear drums will hate you. So will everyone on the trail.

LOL! I've never had anyone complain about my exhaust being too loud on the trail. I've just complained about it, more than I'd like to admit, driving to the trail at 70mph for a few hours.

I have stock cat with a pipe replacing the muffler and dumping down on the passenger side. Sounds really aggressive, but it drones like no ones business when you're on the highway. Thank god it's not my daily.

youtube will be some help. Google up 4.0 flowmaster, magnaflow, etc. My Son has a Flowmaster 44 on his XJ and it sounds good, but loud and drones too much for me. As a teen, he loves it. Mine has the Magnaflow and it has a nice tone, doesn't drone at highway RPMs and sounds good when I get into it on the trail.