Looking for a good sounding exhaust

With the hardtop on I love my Banks Monster Exhaust. With the soft top it is loud. I got it at cost so couldn't really beat the price.

FWIW: My Magnaflow in my video I posted earlier in this thread was only $70 on Amazon and I had a muffler shop put it in for $20 cash.

I have the Magnaflow off-road "exhaust system" for my 4.0. It's just a muffler with a turn down tip before the rear axle. It sounds aggressive and sets off car alarms. The drone isn't too bad honestly, or maybe my hearing problems cant hear it too well.

Though i only paid $100 for it on ebay, so I'm not complaining.

Are any of these suggestions able to be just clamped in by a schmuck that can't weld (me)?

kinda like trying to make a tractor sound like a corvette... not as bad as a 90s nissan pickup with a muffler so rusted it fell off... but not by much...

I happen to love the sound of an old I-6 engine on a tractor, but that's just me. Almost any exhaust that dumps out before the rear bumper can drone and be extremely loud inside the vehicle. I don't have an answer as to what muffler to get, but my stock original is getting very close to falling off, so I'm hoping for a good "old man" exhaust that stays quiet when cruising but a tad bit aggressive if I put the foot into it.

Reactions: Cornbread
I happen to love the sound of an old I-6 engine on a tractor, but that's just me. Almost any exhaust that dumps out before the rear bumper can drone and be extremely loud inside the vehicle. I don't have an answer as to what muffler to get, but my stock original is getting very close to falling off, so I'm hoping for a good "old man" exhaust that stays quiet when cruising but a tad bit aggressive if I put the foot into it.
I guess i should have acknowledged the fact that I was on a forum looking for ways to make my tractor engine louder when I made that comment...

Especially if it's a big old cummins turbo diesel :love: sounds nicer than most V8's IMO

Reactions: Goatman
There isn't much to it. Go to your local exhaust shop and have them install a new muffler and pipe from the cat back. That's all it's going to take to make you engine sound louder is a different muffler.

The 4.0 isn't a great sounding engine though to begin with IMHO. It tends to drone, so I would stay away from loud exhausts unless you like driver fatigue.

Don't waste your money on any of the so-called "cat-back" systems you see online. They are an absolute waste of money. They charge you $500, when an exhaust shop will build you the same setup for $200.

I suspect the weird 2-section exhaust manifold has a lot to do with the unpleasant sound of the 4.0. I went from a stock cast iron log manifold to a long tube 6-1 header on my inline 6 Datsun 280Z and it suddenly sounded sexy as hell...still not a small block Ford burble but had kind of an old European exotic sound to it like a Jaguar.

I like a little extra off idle, but I will not suffer drone, so if I find any hint in an online review that a muffler or system drones on the highway, I'm out. Per a post in this thread, I think I've eliminated the MBRP as a possibility. I seem to read good things about the Flowmaster Force-II, which uses their 60 series and is supposed to be almost stock sound level.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BR4F6O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

My worry about a local shop is I want everything replaced behind the cat and whether I can trust them to copy the factory exhaust routing close enough to not get in the way of the upper control arms or track bar throughout the range of articulation. At least with a production solution I feel like they might have put some thought into the design.

Reactions: Chris
I suspect the weird 2-section exhaust manifold has a lot to do with the unpleasant sound of the 4.0. I went from a stock cast iron log manifold to a long tube 6-1 header on my inline 6 Datsun 280Z and it suddenly sounded sexy as hell...still not a small block Ford burble but had kind of an old European exotic sound to it like a Jaguar.

I like a little extra off idle, but I will not suffer drone, so if I find any hint in an online review that a muffler or system drones on the highway, I'm out. Per a post in this thread, I think I've eliminated the MBRP as a possibility. I seem to read good things about the Flowmaster Force-II, which uses their 60 series and is supposed to be almost stock sound level.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BR4F6O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

My worry about a local shop is I want everything replaced behind the cat and whether I can trust them to copy the factory exhaust routing close enough to not get in the way of the upper control arms or track bar throughout the range of articulation. At least with a production solution I feel like they might have put some thought into the design.

If you want your 4.0 to sound about as good as it can (plus pickup a good 20+ WHP), get a set of these:

https://americanracingheaders.com/collections/jeep/products/jeep-1998-2006-tj-4-0l-long-system
;)

That's a lot of bacon, but that checks almost all of my boxes: Made in USA, 303 stainless steel. I would love to know more about this. Do you have a sound clip?

Do you have any personal experience with this?

No, but I know the guy who makes them.

You'll pick up about 30 WHP with these headers and a tune. They are the real deal!

I'll be putting some on my 4.0 in the coming month or so, so stay tuned!

Golen uses these on all their stroker builds and makes tremendous gains with them.

Reactions: Byhumba
No, but I know the guy who makes them.

You'll pick up about 30 WHP with these headers and a tune. They are the real deal!

I'll be putting some on my 4.0 in the coming month or so, so stay tuned!

Golen uses these on all their stroker builds and makes tremendous gains with them.

I've avoided headers just because my one experience with them, I was fighting leaks a lot. Like the Jeep 4.0, it was on an inline six where the intake and exhaust shared bolts and a gasket so it was more PITA to fix than I will tolerate doing once a year.

...but I can't think of many other ways to pick up 30hp for $1500, so I might actually consider that if my low compression in adjacent cylinders turns out to be a head gasket.

Reactions: Chris
I've avoided headers just because my one experience with them, I was fighting leaks a lot. Like the Jeep 4.0, it was on an inline six where the intake and exhaust shared bolts and a gasket so it was more PITA to fix than I will tolerate doing once a year.

...but I can't think of many other ways to pick up 30hp for $1500, so I might actually consider that if my low compression in adjacent cylinders turns out to be a head gasket.

Yep, the shared mounting points for the intake and exhaust manifolds are a pain in the butt. Still, those headers are truly amazing from what I am told. I guess we'll find out assuming I don't go the V8 route.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
The straight six can sound decent, and IMO a lot better than the newer 3.8 or 3.6s can sound.
Here is a clip of mine from my build forum. It is a simple Magnaflow 10415 replacing the stock muffler, and exiting out the back of the Jeep.
View attachment 87617

Hey, that sounds really great!

What kind of tailpipe is that, and does your engine have any other mods to make it sound like that?

Stock cat. No muffler. It’s mean. Sounds decent. But your ear drums will hate you. So will everyone on the trail.
I got no cats and no muffler and She's rowdy. Its funny seeing people's reactions at the car show though when some old jeep is louder than their sports cars..

Last edited:
The straight six can sound dvfecent, and IMO a lot better than the newer 3.8 or 3.6s can sound.
Here is a clip of mine from my build forum. It is a simple Magnaflow 10415 replacing the stock muffler, and exiting out the back of the Jeep.
View attachment 87617

The straight six can sound decent, and IMO a lot better than the newer 3.8 or 3.6s can sound.
View attachment 87617

Magnaflow 35231 5" Weld On Exhaust Tip with Rolled Edge and 4"?​