Looking for a way to adjust the seat height on 2004 TJ

jmbstudios

Guitar Slinger
Supporting Member
My 2015 work jeep has a lever where I can raise or lower the seat height.
I've been searching for something similar for my 2004 TJ. No luck...

My girlfriend needs the seat to be a bit higher. So it's either find an adjuster or just find a seat pad.

Anything like that (seat height adjuster mechanism) available for the TJ?

Thanks in advance.

PO put these plastic tabs under the seat. Work similar to the ones listed on Amazon, just rectangle instead of round.

s-l1600 (16).jpg

I installed the seat risers that Chris linked. NIght and day difference in my 2006. Felt like I was sitting on the floor compared to my 2013 Jk.

i bought a 1 1/4in piece of square tube and cut it up to use as spacers and longer bolts. drilled holes, painted and installed them with a strip of thin foam tape to prevent squeaking. works great !and was cheap !!!

Thanks guys.

I think the risers would do the trick.
I will add this, not at all trying to talk you out of it, but just another viewpoint, particularly if its your girlfriend you're trying to make happy...I installed 1" blocks (seat risers) on mine, and my 5'4" wife was not really impressed. Her two comments were (a) that the higher seat effectively moved her short legs an inch further from the pedals, so that she had to slide the seat another click or two forwards to reach the pedals comfortably, and (b) it put the gearshift lever further from her hand. The 1" seat risers combined with a 1.25" body lift (currently with no tummy tuck to raise the transmission) mean that the gearshift lever is 2.25" further from her shifting hand than it was originally.

There is no adjuster, but there are these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2AEK0I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Various manufacturers offer these for the 03-06 TJs as their seats sit much lower than they did in the 97-02 TJs.
Chris,
Do you know anyone that had luck installing just the fronts in an effort to tilt the seat cushion up? Also, saw in your build thread you ordered new seats. Interested to see if the front of that seat along with the brackets sit higher in the front of the seat cushion.

Chris,
Do you know anyone that had luck installing just the fronts in an effort to tilt the seat cushion up? Also, saw in your build thread you ordered new seats. Interested to see if the front of that seat along with the brackets sit higher in the front of the seat cushion.
I do not, I’ve never needed seat risers personally.

The new seats I ordered use the stock seat bases, so if they do sit any higher it will be due to the actual seat itself as oppose to the base.

There is no adjuster, but there are these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2AEK0I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Various manufacturers offer these for the 03-06 TJs as their seats sit much lower than they did in the 97-02 TJs.
Based on our many conversations, I won't have to explain why but I support the originators of products and not them that knock them off. Buchanan came out with the first seat risers for the TJ. Great folks, solid product, lots of options. Small machine shop that does great work.

Based on our many conversations, I won't have to explain why but I support the originators of products and not them that knock them off. Buchanan came out with the first seat risers for the TJ. Great folks, solid product, lots of options. Small machine shop that does great work.

Gotcha, I wasn’t sure who was the first to market with the seat adapters. I’d never heard of Buchanan before so thanks for sharing this.

You bought the adapters then.

I haven’t ordered the adapters yet since the drivers side is out of stock. Is there a better option than the adapters?

Gotcha, I wasn’t sure who was the first to market with the seat adapters. I’d never heard of Buchanan before so thanks for sharing this.

I haven’t ordered the adapters yet since the drivers side is out of stock. Is there a better option than the adapters?
I've never messed with their adapters. I just built a set for my Mastercraft seats and I'd venture if they sell some, buy them.

DSC_5713.JPG

Last edited:
I will add this, not at all trying to talk you out of it, but just another viewpoint, particularly if its your girlfriend you're trying to make happy...I installed 1" blocks (seat risers) on mine, and my 5'4" wife was not really impressed. Her two comments were (a) that the higher seat effectively moved her short legs an inch further from the pedals, so that she had to slide the seat another click or two forwards to reach the pedals comfortably, and (b) it put the gearshift lever further from her hand. The 1" seat risers combined with a 1.25" body lift (currently with no tummy tuck to raise the transmission) mean that the gearshift lever is 2.25" further from her shifting hand than it was originally.

I agree. Before we buy those I will be putting her 2" seat pad in to see how that does. If it works, I will pick up the risers.