Looking for advice on lift, shocks, etc.

Michaelp3257

I need the help of the suspension gurus. I’m mechanically inclined in regards to the drivetrain and I work on jet engines for a living, which I know is different, but I started on car engines so the knowledge is there in that regard. Now to get off my soap-box.

I inherited/saved a very important Jeep from being sold to someone not in my wife’s family. The Jeep was her brothers before he passes away and their family didn’t want to sell it, but it was just sitting in their driveway so I convinced them if they were going to sell it to sell it to me. This however leads me to this post, I don’t know much about what is already on the Jeep. I know it’s lifted.

I owned a 97 TJ Sprt prior to this one, so I have most of the Jeep basics down but I stil struggle with lifts and shocks etc.

Yesterday I posted about people running six pack shocks and quite a bit of eye opening feedback on them. I have since decided to look at something more conventional like ranchos. My questions are is there a good way to find out my lift size? I entered the model number for my current shocks which are the original rancho 5000’s and according to their website it has a 3.5 inch shock on there. I’m not familiar with how to measure springs. Which leads me to next question-are the rear springs different length than the front springs? From my quick measurements earlier than rear shocks are significantly shorter than the front?

As far as lifts go-should I go higher up to 4-4.5? I know I’ll have to do SYE etc. the biggest I plan on running in the future would be 35’s but I’m pretty happy with 33’s for now. I wheel it hard, but I still enjoy driving it. My wife particularly enjoys going for rides as it was her brothers.

Last question-is it possible to piece together a lift rather than buying a kit.

Just hoping to get some insight and wisdom from the suspension and geometry gurus as well the people who have done things to their Jeep already and would change or not change things.

I read @Chris lift kit for beginners forum which was very informative! Thank you!

I am sure you get answers from others that know a lot more than me. I am running a Currie Lift Kit and I also have a 1" BL and running 35's. And since you asked " I would NOT change a thing" This is not a cheap kit but I feel it's one of the best ones out there. Now I know that I have also heard good things about the Savvy Kit.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9801H
https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-9701

All TJ's and LJ's from the factory came with 12 inch springs up front and 8 inch springs in the rear. Sports, Rubicons, SE's, X's 97-06, all use a 12/8 inch setup.

Anything over 12 in the front and over 8 in the rear is the amount of lift the springs provide. A 14 inch front spring would be a 2 inch lift and a 10 inch rear spring would match it.

Measured on flat level ground with the weight of the vehicle on the springs.

for 33's and a, "lower," ride height a 2 inch lift spring and a 1.25 inch body lift is a great setup. The body lift allows for a much needed tummy tuck, which raises the factory low hanging skid plate up higher towards the now lifted body. Thus more ground clearance, which is greatly beneficial to those who "wheel hard."

For 35's a 4 inch lift with the same 1.25 inch body lift should net a, "lower," ride height yet allow supple clearance for a 35 inch tire and a tummy tuck.

For both setups, if it were me, I would run double adjustable on all control arms and a super short SYE setup from JB conversions.

for the 2 inch setup, I like the OME 2 inch springs with Rancho RS5000x shocks.
Unfortunately for the 4 inch setup, I have yet to research spring rates, so to narrow down a specific brand of spring would be out of my knowledge base. I like the softest spring rate, allowing the max amount fo flex. (ideally)

I was in a similar situation in that I had a Jeep that had been sitting in my driveway for 10+ years basically never moving, and I was at the point of either selling it or finally building it into something I could enjoy driving. I went the latter route.

I eventually opted for 35s because I found a good set on CL. I needed to re-gear in the process (started with the dreaded 3.07 gears from the factory) too, which involved axle swaps that ate a bunch of my budget.

I eventually went with a Zone Offroad 4.25" Combo Lift (link), which is a 3" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, and 1" MML. I bought it with Rancho RS5000X shocks on the advice of many around here and am glad I did. Zone wasn't able to do the shock substitution directly, but pointed me to a local shop that distributes Zone products. The local shops can order kits without shocks and sub in whatever shocks you want. I've been running that for about 6 months now and am very happy with it. If you search the forums, Zone Offroad's kits are pretty well liked and budget friendly for what you get. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a lift who doesn't want to run into the $1000+ range for the kit.

Some will jump in and say that a 4.25" lift isn't enough for 35s. I don't do much offroading anymore and have have no problem at all with 35s on this kit. I can't imagine it would rub offroad, but if someone says they've rubbed 35s running this kit I won't call them a liar either. But if you're sticking with 33s you'd definitely never have an issue, and you'll save a lot of the other upgrades that you need to do for 35s (brakes, maybe gears, etc.)

As for control arms, I ultimately went with replacing all of mine because I I had the axles out anyway and wanted to be able to align the new ones perfectly. I did single adjustables from Core 4x4 (link). Single adjustable CAs are a little tougher to set up because you have to measure, disconnect, adjust, reconnect, measure, etc., but once I got them dialed in they were great and the Jeep drives like new.

Hope some of this helps.

Here's before and after shots of my Jeep - before with a 2" budget lift and 29" tires, after as described (sorry, but I'll never get tired of posting these photos):

Before

20190303_142819.jpg

After

20190405_113414.jpg

Reactions: JMT
If (my opinion. Just an opinion.) You are planning for 33's, thinking 35's I would do a good 3 1/2-4" spring lift. Adding a 1 1/4" body lift later if you go 35's is an easy upgrade without having to chuck out all the parts you bought for 33's. Any rubbing that you may or may not have can be fine tuned with an inexpensive spring puck. But first drive it as it is (assuming its safe! ) for several months. See what it does and doesn't do that you want to change. A 2-3" lift on 32's can get you amazingly far. Steering and brakes are far more important than big tires.
You may just like to cruise around mostly on road, or find what you have is plenty for the offroading you and your wife enjoy. You won't fi d out until you have used the Jeep. I was a CJ guy for years. The higher the better. I'm older now and what I used to want in a Jeep has changed quite a bit.
Cheers for keeping the Jeep in her family. You receive 5 good spouse points that your wife will gladly take! 🍻

Reactions: Blondie70
It is possible to piece together, but kits are pretty nice

Im trying to run 35s eventually, i might do highlines because i have a 3 in suspension lift right now and im gonna add a 1 inch body lift but i dont think that will be enough

Reactions: JMT
Im trying to run 35s eventually, i might do highlines because i have a 3 in suspension lift right now and im gonna add a 1 inch body lift but i dont think that will be enough
I wheeled all throughout Colorado a couple years ago with Metalcloak fenders a 3.5” lift and 35’s.

8A1E68B4-A1EE-48F7-930E-B98C5EAA8FF8.jpeg

Reactions: D M
You're right. But raising the fenders should help. Any chance you might swap in a 3.5 inch when you add the 1 inch body?

You're right. But raising the fenders should help. Any chance you might swap in a 3.5 inch when you add the 1 inch body?
I keep changing my "build plan" but Ive settled on the idea of 4" currie coils all around

Edit: I also ended up going with the savvy 1.25" body lift