Firstjeepbuild

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A list of my TJ
Stock 4.0
Stock Dana 30 front
Stock Dana 35 rear
2 1/2 inch lift
Built 32 RH 3 speed auto with extra deep tranny pan.
31x10 x15 inch tires ( Intend to upgrade to 32 inch tires)
I drive hunting in the desert and Mud in the mountains no rock crawling. I am happy with my Jeep I just want some extra off road capability as well ice and snow capability. I have been told putting a limited slip or locker in the front is the best way to go because the front wheels will maintain steering and it wont have the rear end pushing the front end around creating a problem in ice and snow. We do get snow and ice eastern Washington This is a daily driver.

I originally put trutracs in mine. Already put an e-locker in the rear and have one sitting in the shop for the front. My trutracs will be for sale though😃
After a lot of thought and some trial and error, I think F/R selectable lockers are hard to beat for a wide variety of use.

What were the reasons you are taking out the true trac ?

1. When you lift a wheel, the axle looses traction completely. This happens more often than I thought.
2. At speed, on the road, even a limited slip can get squirrelly in snow and ice (good at parking lot speeds though).
I thought the F/R helical gear limited slips would be a great low fuss, go most places traction solution but I’d rather have open diffs on slick roads and be locked on technical terrain.

Last edited:
I have been told putting a limited slip or locker in the front is the best way to go because the front wheels will maintain steering and it wont have the rear end pushing the front end around creating a problem in ice and snow.
selectable lockers front and rear is the "best" way to go but if you're only doing the front a selectable locker is the "best" way to go

What were the reasons you are taking out the true trac ?
I did the same thing over 20 years ago, I replaced my f/r Truetracs with lockers and never looked back. On slick road conditions where the surface is level Truetracs are hard to beat. But offroad when the trails are tougher and uneven, Truetracs are next to useless even if you step on the brakes or pull the parking brake up to help them engage better. So if your main requirements for 4x4 include ice or snow covered roads or flat trails Truetracs are a great choice but if you're on uneven trails that aren't covered in ice lockers are the way to go.

Edit: I forgot you have a Dana 35 rear axle which in stock form is absolutely not strong enough for a locker. It can be made more than strong enough for a locker and even 35" tires by installing a Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear & Axle. Your front Dana 30 is strong enough for a lunchbox locker like a No-Slip or Aussie and 33's.

Reactions: Zorba
We have snow in Oregon and Washington. I'll second e-lockers front and rear and suggest Super 30 and 35 kits. Complete overkill for your tire size...but I'd also suggest 33s. Need to figure out what gear ratio you need.

You'll spend the same money regearing for 31s as 33s or 35s so just go big!

-Mac

I put a rear Ox on my wife's JK's 44...it's basically like a transmission with a fork...you can then activate it four ways...buy an electric I think it's a linear actuator, buy an air actuator, buy a cable shifter and have a lever in the cab...and four is their drive away knob that screws in and activated the fork if your mechanical/electric/air isn't working. Bonus comes with a nodular iron cover. Two things I see...one... concerned we might smear the whole fork actuator right off the back of the cover dragging off a rock one of these days...and two...I don't think the TJ has the clearance on either axle...rear has a track bar and gas tank and front has the drag link in the way.

An e-locker has a wire that comes out the top...air locker has a copper tube going to a fitting to plastic line...all off the top.

-Mac

I have been told putting a limited slip or locker in the front is the best way to go because the front wheels will maintain steering and it wont have the rear end pushing the front end around creating a problem in ice and snow. We do get snow and ice eastern Washington This is a daily driver.
On on slippery surface open difs keep vehicle stable.
Spinning = loss of traction, rear lock up and you start swinging, if front locks up you are going straight line.
What you are describing here is good for front wheel drive cars, with 50-50 split like Jeep is not that simple. Only referring to "maintaining steering".
1. When you lift a wheel, the axle looses traction. This happens more often than I thought.
You chose the wrong axle for it, rear has a tendency to stay put.

I have front and rear OX on my TJU (LJ), no issues with clearance. Only the air actuator is attached to the cover. The electric actuator attaches to the end of the cable, just as the manual lever does, unless they changed the design within the last 5yrs.

The electric actuator addresses the earlier cable adjustment issues. The current cables address the early cable failures.

I know I'm in the minority here regarding lockers, but I love mine!

I have front and rear OX on my TJU (LJ), no issues with clearance. Only the air actuator is attached to the cover. The electric actuator attaches to the end of the cable, just as the manual lever does, unless they changed the design within the last 5yrs.

The electric actuator addresses the earlier cable adjustment issues. The current cables address the early cable failures.

I know I'm in the minority here regarding lockers, but I love mine!

I like the rear OX in my camping truck. It’s been excellent.

Reactions: Mrholland