Looking for another TJ: Any years to avoid automatic transmission and OPDA issues?

My 05 TJR now it only has 40k miles but no issues whatsoever. As far as the OPDA the cost of this repair is no more than a brake job or a new battery, so I don't get all the hype like it's some super expensive repair.

Reactions: g.hayduke
I bought my '05 LJR, 6spd with ~80K on it and the original OPDA. It was throwing intermittent codes related to the cam position sensor. I swapped in a new, aftermarket OPDA assembly (dorman or crown, not sure) WITH an original cam position sensor, set the timing per the FSM, and no codes for 2 years.

Mine has the 6 speed manual trans which has gotten tons of bad press. Other than being a little finicky about going into reverse at times, it shifts perfectly and has given me no issues.

In summary, as long as the OPDA is replaced before things wear to the point of needing a new cam, the OPDA issue is really a non-issue. If it's let go too long that the cam is too worn, you'd be looking at a new cam, lifters, and OPDA. A pain but not terrible.

I have no personal experience with the late auto versions, from what I have read here, if you did run into the PCM issue with an auto trans, there is a solution for that as well.

Reactions: Jeff Allan
As Jerry stated, less issues the older you go. I haven't had a single issue with my '02 32RH but it's also only a 3-speed

I love my '02 but I've also passed on some really nice '05 projects that I wouldn't have now that there are easy fixes for the major risks.

My $.02... go in to the purchase with the realization that you might have to drop a grand to get it where you want it and you'll be good with any year.

I love my '02 but I've also passed on some really nice '05 projects that I wouldn't have now that there are easy fixes for the major risks.

My $.02... go in to the purchase with the realization that you might have to drop a grand to get it where you want it and you'll be good with any year.

Use these possible issues as bargaining chips to reduce the price. (y)

The only 2005-6 issue I see an easy permanent fix to is the automatic transmission PCM issue that Wrangler Fix came out with. I don't see the OPDA problem 05-06 has as being easily or permanently fixed with aftermarket parts. If you have an 05/06 without the OPDA issue that's great, you are one of the fortunate ones. But I've seen enough problems with the fixes people installed trying to fix the OPDA issue that I have been convinced such fixes are neither easy nor permanent. Especially if the OPDA issue was allowed to develop to the point it took the cam shaft out with it.

'05/'06 are garbage. Avoid like the plague. You're better off buying a mid-70s Jaguar with Lucas fuel injection.

Because of the OPDA? My late 2006 had some pretty shoddy work the welds and everything and for some reason paint ,it just was rusting like crazy everywhere after only owning for seven years