Looking for battery tender recommendations

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
I'm looking for a battery tender and could use some recommendations. The TJ sits in the garage for longer periods of time during the winter.

Thanks!

Reactions: Bad Habits
I use one of these, a "Costco only" model:

Battery-Tender-022-0202_COS-FrontView.jpg

Although listed at $69.99 on the Battery Tender website, my recollection is that I paid about $40-45. It has never let me down.

http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/Battery-Tender.html

I hard wired a 12v plug in lieu of alligator clips to make it easier to use. I have the same plug in all of my "just for fun" vehicles to make it easier to rotate the charger/maintainer between them:

Battery Tender battery charger from Costco.jpg
Wiring for battery charger.jpg

I use a similar model of battery tender and ran a hardwire lead to the grill using the same routing through the engine compartment as the winch power cables. I can also plug my compressor in there.

I've read that Battery Minder products are high quality. They also have a desulfating mode which most Battery Tenders don't have.

I had intended to purchase a Battery Minder to get the desulfating feature but the Costco deal on the Battery Tender was too good to pass up as I walked past the display so that is what I have. Apparently the confirmation bias toward my purchase was so strong that I completely forgot about the Battery Minder until it was mentioned today.

I don't think that you can make a mistake with either.

I have a 10 amp Guest dual bank on-board charger on a boat tending to a pair of DieHards that are now 10 yes old. Never had a hiccup at all.

I use a 3 amp BatteryTender for a motorcycle & an ATV.

They both have their place. The Guest has way more intelligence/diagnostic ability. And I've never had a motorcycle or ATV battery live as long as the boat batteries have.