Looking for buying advice

stackman

I've been wanting a TJ for awhile and now that I'm in a position to get one I'm looking for a little advice from some more experienced minds. I'm considering a '98 Sport with about 131k miles that's just shy of $7k. I like the relatively low mileage but I'm a little concerned about the age. Also, it's going to have to be a daily driver most days for a 60 mile round trip. So, what would I have to worry about and would this even be a good idea? For the curious, the vehicle in question is here:
http://www.ansoniaautopark.com/1998...ven-New-Haven/used_car/YcPpeQRL2d8=#techspecs

Thanks for any help!

Welcome aboard. Looks like a nice Jeep as long as it isn't rusted badly. The miles are nothing on the 4.0 which can go 200k + easily. You need to crawl under it and look for rust as well as the usual things to look for like leaks, damage, etc.

First and foremost, check out this link:
What to look for when buying a used Jeep Wrangler TJ

The number one thing you'll want to look for is rust, period. Spend a good 10 minutes under the vehicle with a flashlight looking for rust. If you see anything other than very light surface rust, RUN.

Rust is the devil with these vehicles, and if you buy one that is rusty, you'll regret it big time. If you see a TJ with a lot of rust, it's not usually worth more than a few thousand in most cases.

The mileage shouldn't be concerning at all. The 4.0 engine in these TJs is nearly bulletproof, and you won't encounter many issues with them at all.

The biggest concern from a mechanical standpoint with that mileage will be things like drivetrain bushings, brakes, and other suspension components needing replacing.

The other thing I'd be looking at would be a cooling system overhaul, which probably wouldn't set you back more than $1000. At that age, unless you have records of the cooling system being done, you'd want to replace the radiator, water pump, and thermostat.

There's a good thread on that here:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ
Jeep Wrangler TJ Radiator Replacement
Jeep Wrangler TJ Water Pump Replacement