Looking for cordless impact wrench suggestions

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Milwaukee m18 fuel high torque 1/2” is a beast. I use my old model to crush pinion crush sleeves easily. Techs at work use it to remove 15l Diesel engine head bolts. The dewalt(or mac...) is a good gun but neck to neck turning head bolts 90* for the final torque sequence, the Milwaukee does it faster.

if you are not going to be using it for tasks this demanding, the 1/2 mid torque is excellent as well. A lot lighter, will remove any bolt or nut on a tj with ease.

Current ownership of batteries would be my deciding factor. I have only milwaukee batteries but I do have 12 and 18 volt versions. I dont want too many brands of batteries and chargers. I like my milwaukee m12 impact wrench but since you are looking for the most powerful you would need to go with a 18v or bigger.

What are you going to be using it for?

Lug nuts, bumper bolts, control arm bolts, and basically anything you can think of on a Jeep.

Not sure if this is too much power, but I guess I'm just remembering that one time I had to remove a crankshaft pulley and how much of a PITA that was :rolleyes:

Current ownership of batteries would be my deciding factor. I have only milwaukee batteries but I do have 12 and 18 volt versions. I dont want too many brands of batteries and chargers. I like my milwaukee m12 impact wrench but since you are looking for the most powerful you would need to go with a 18v or bigger.

No batteries to worry about at the moment, so I'm not really locked down with any brand right now.

Lug nuts, bumper bolts, control arm bolts, and basically anything you can think of on a Jeep.

Not sure if this is too much power, but I guess I'm just remembering that one time I had to remove a crankshaft pulley and how much of a PITA that was :rolleyes:
You might be surprised at what a 3/8 M12 stubby can do. Extremely handy size wise.

You might be surprised at what a 3/8 M12 stubby can do. Extremely handy size wise.

I wasn't sure about that to be honest, but I'll take your word for it. All of my impact sockets are 1/2" currently, which is the reason I started looking at 1/2".

I wasn't sure about that to be honest, but I'll take your word for it. All of my impact sockets are 1/2" currently, which is the reason I started looking at 1/2".
There’s a YouTube video where a guy tests all the Milwaukee’s on an old rusted engine block, you don’t necessarily need the biggest. I’ll see if I can locate it.

Reactions: Chris
While the m12 1/2” or 3/8” will do lugs, it’s more demanding on the tool to do say a tire rotation. Hardly phases the m18.

That is a ridiculous amount of torque for those jobs.
In M18 Fuel-
3 of the 3/8" impacts
1 1/2" mid torque small frame
1 older 1/2" high torque (most powerful at the time)
1 current one of the link below.
Many 1/4" hex impact drivers.
In M12 Fuel
Right angle Impact
Stubby 3/8"
1/4" impact.
Many 1/4" hex impact drivers

By far the most used are the 3/8", second is the 3/8" M12 right angle.

I break out mid torque for most anything the 3/8" Impacts won't do, and when it wants to be a little bitch, I get out the one below and nothing even begins to defy it. It is big, heavy, powerful and kicks ass but it is the least one used.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20

The milwaukee m12 stubby comes in a 3/8 as well as 1/2 version.

No batteries to worry about at the moment, so I'm not really locked down with any brand right now.
Then I would take a look at all brands, consider what other tools you might want in the future and make that a part of your decision. You definitely dont want several brands of incompatible batteries.

In M18 Fuel-
3 of the 3/8" impacts
In M12 Fuel
Right angle Impact
Stubby 3/8"
1/4" impact.

I break out mid torque for most anything the 3/8" Impacts won't do, and when it wants to be a little bitch, I get out the one below and nothing even begins to defy it. It is big, heavy, powerful and kicks ass but it is the least one used.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20
Which 3/8 is the most used M18 or M12?

In M18 Fuel-
3 of the 3/8" impacts
In M12 Fuel
Right angle Impact
Stubby 3/8"
1/4" impact.

How about this M12 stubby?

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2554-20
For what I described, would that be able to do all of it? The compact size is definitely appealing for harder to reach spaces.

I could see myself most often using it for tire rotations and control arm bolts.