Looking for Facebook Marketplace assistance

It completely sucks that people insist on limiting their potential audience by selling via that site - yea, you have to at least make the initial contact via facesuck.

Whatever else you do, completely wipe your browser history and cookies after visiting that site or others like it.

Reactions: Daron and Chris
It completely sucks that people insist on limiting their potential audience by selling via that site - yea, you have to at least make the initial contact via facesuck.

Whatever else you do, completely wipe your browser history and cookies after visiting that site or others like it.

Damn, really!!! I found him on the 3000GT forum but he is not replying, and I saw he had only 6 posts, all in the for sale section, so I assume he is not looking.

I agree with you that the Seller is limiting his audience, and for me that is a pro, less Buyers know of this car....BUT, I would rather not have the car than join Assbook.

Thanks for the reply Zorba

...BUT, I would rather not have the car than join Assbook.
I hear you. I've been involved with computers since the late 70s, ran a dial up BBS system, been involved with the Internet for decades, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah...

I will exit the Internet entirely before I'll have anything whatsoever to do with so-called "Social Media", be that facesuck, TWITter, or whatever else the flavor of the day is. Those sites have zero legitimacy in my eye, but I'll spare you the rant...

Reactions: skrelnik
Oh man, do you know of this car? I would love to try and contact him but I only have his forum name on the 3000Gt site, the Seller left no other contact information.
no but I'll send him a message. pm me your contact details and I'll see if I can get his. Sent a message, waiting for a reply.

I learned stick on a base model dodge stealth. Man I roasted those front tires, it was such a fun car. I always dreamed about how much more fun the VR4 would have to be. That was back when I didn't have to buy my own tires, before my dad told me not to drive like an asshole.

Lots of cooling system problems on that car, maybe just specifically the one that we had.

I hear you. I've been involved with computers since the late 70s, ran a dial up BBS system, been involved with the Internet for decades, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah...

I will exit the Internet entirely before I'll have anything whatsoever to do with so-called "Social Media", be that facesuck, TWITter, or whatever else the flavor of the day is. Those sites have zero legitimacy in my eye, but I'll spare you the rant...

I am like you, except a decade behind, I cannot stand social media, and one of my all-time favorite movie quotes is from Adam Sandler, Funny People, when he shits on MySpace.

Reactions: Zorba
I learned stick on a base model dodge stealth. Man I roasted those front tires, it was such a fun car. I always dreamed about how much more fun the VR4 would have to be. That was back when I didn't have to buy my own tires, before my dad told me not to drive like an asshole.

Lots of cooling system problems on that car, maybe just specifically the one that we had.

Learning stick was fun, I learned on my buddies 1990's Mustang LX, I remember stalling on the neighbors front yard, it was hilarious! being 16 again...

I am like you, except a decade behind, I cannot stand social media, and one of my all-time favorite movie quotes is from Adam Sandler, Funny People, when he shits on MySpace.
Fad sites like that come and go, the last one that I was involved with - and only slightly at that - was something called "Tribe". It wasn't all that great, but was head and shoulders above the crap we have now. There was also GeoCities, Anglefire and many others before that. MySpace, facesuck, etc, etc, were created for teenagers, and that's pretty much what you get: Teenaged angst and DRAMA. The older ones were at least nominally oriented towards adults.

I hate Facebook with a passion, but there is no denying that marketplace is the #1 place to buy and sell locally. It has the greatest amount of traffic, and you can see people's profiles who post stuff.

What else is even close?

-eBay is usually all online deals
-Craigslist is 99% scam and dealer ads
-OfferUp has lower traffic and posts are often up forever and never removed

Like I said I hate Facebook and Social Media in general, but Marketplace is really the only decent place to buy/sell anything to local people.

Reactions: jeepins and TJ4Jim
Fad sites like that come and go, the last one that I was involved with - and only slightly at that - was something called "Tribe". It wasn't all that great, but was head and shoulders above the crap we have now. There was also GeoCities, Anglefire and many others before that. MySpace, facesuck, etc, etc, were created for teenagers, and that's pretty much what you get: Teenaged angst and DRAMA. The older ones were at least nominally oriented towards adults.

Well f'n said (I'm from Boston so a curse-word, when used as an adjective or in this case, is a good thing). These sites are full of soo much drama, I love hearing people cry and whine about it, like at Thanksgiving when my aunts and uncles all fight about what they said on it during the year. Comical for me to sit back and watch with a drumstick and beer.

Reactions: Zorba
I hate Facebook with a passion, but there is no denying that marketplace is the #1 place to buy and sell locally. It has the greatest amount of traffic, and you can see people's profiles who post stuff.

What else is even close?

Like I said I hate Facebook and Social Media in general, but Marketplace is really the only decent place to buy/sell anything to local people.

I want to see that car, but I refuse to do so and sign up. I can't even reach out to the guy, and I don't want to ask someone to do it for me as that would seem like a shady scam. I get emails like that and they are real scams, and here is one from another forum:

1603994805377.png

Nice example. I have only seen one like that before recently. High school friend of mine listed after one when we were young and the cars were new. Fast forward to last year, he runs a successful business and bought his dream car. He didn’t disclose what he paid and it had fewer miles but the way he talked about it he paid a chunk of change to find a pristine stock example.

Good luck!

Nice example. I have only seen one like that before recently. High school friend of mine listed after one when we were young and the cars were new. Fast forward to last year, he runs a successful business and bought his dream car. He didn’t disclose what he paid and it had fewer miles but the way he talked about it he paid a chunk of change to find a pristine stock example.

Good luck!

Great story, sounds like a similar story to mine. I love my LJ, but I have wanted a VR-4 since I was 15, and I was close to buying one last week, but it was literally the only color I did not want, so I had to factor a $5k-$10k premium to paint the car a color I wanted. It was a yellow one with 19k miles on BaT, and 5 miles from my house. I thought this one the one, but it was not...Not that I don't like yellow, it's just not for me...

Reactions: Rick Flair

What else is even close?

To a degree you are correct. To which I reply: IF you feel you must post things for sale there, post them elsewhere also. The number of people who won't set foot inside facebook is quite large. Like our OP - his seller has cut himself off from a potential purchaser by not making himself available on the "outside Internet". Don't enable the self-fulfilling prophecy.

To a degree you are correct. To which I reply: IF you feel you must post things for sale there, post them elsewhere also. The number of people who won't set foot inside facebook is quite large. Like our OP - his seller has cut himself off from a potential purchaser by not making himself available on the "outside Internet". Don't enable the self-fulfilling prophecy.
Nah, it's mostly Boomers and old people who won't use Facebook. ;) 😆

I'm kidding, but the reality is that while there is a large number of people who won't set foot in it, there is a larger number that have it. Like I said, I'm not an advocate for Facebook and I hate social media in general. I don't use Facebook for anything besides marketplace. I buy and sell a lot of power equipment (side business/hobby) and I would say a good 95% of my sales this year have been from Facebook Market place, and I usually list everything on all the sites I posted above simultaneously. You just get more traffic, plain and simple. When I list things on Facebook I sell stuff in maximum 3 days to a week, and usually get my asking price or close to it. When I only list on Craigslist I get lots of scam e-mails, people offering me half the value, not showing up, etc. Unfortunately the only people missing out are those like the OP who don't have a way to contact the seller. The obvious smart thing to do as a seller is list the item on all platforms in order to reach the max number of people.

The obvious smart thing to do as a seller is list the item on all platforms in order to reach the max number of people.
At least something that isn't a "walled garden" or better, a "walled sewer". Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do, but like the OP, I won't set foot on that site and would/will exit the Internet if that's what its future is.

Edit: I think I'm the ONLY oldster/boomer I know of who ISN'T on facesuck. I'll admit that I'm a grumpy/bitchy old man, and own it! When something rubs me completely the wrong way, I shut it down. Facesuck and smartphones are the top two in that category. A close third would be STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Flair