Looking for feedback / experience with Genright's, Alien and / or Comp 23 gas tanks

I should add that last year when talking to GR sales people on the phone their reply to this question was coilovers only for that tank.
They designed it so this may be true but if their measurements are accurate IMO it should fit if you only have outboard shocks.

The question is which one of us is going to try?

Reactions: Apparition
I should add that last year when talking to GR sales people on the phone their reply to this question was coilovers only for that tank.
They designed it so this may be true but if their measurements are accurate IMO it should fit if you only have outboard shocks.

The question is which one of us is going to try?
I’m going to run one so if it hasn’t been figured out by the time it comes maybe I’ll check before I throw the springs away.

The guy who has one for sale local says it fit in his jeep with coil springs and outboarded shocks. I am going to go look at it tomorrow and if it is in decent shape, I guess I will be the Guinea pig.

I’m going to run one so if it hasn’t been figured out by the time it comes maybe I’ll check before I throw the springs away.
LJ & TJ to totally different animals. I was worried that since I'd moved everything around (shock crossmember & rear crossmember) that it wouldn't fit at all.

The guy who has one for sale local says it fit in his jeep with coil springs and outboarded shocks. I am going to go look at it tomorrow and if it is in decent shape, I guess I will be the Guinea pig.

Sounds good. Look forward to hearing what it looks like.

Reactions: Apparition
LJ & TJ to totally different animals. I was worried that since I'd moved everything around (shock crossmember & rear crossmember) that it wouldn't fit at all.

Sounds good. Look forward to hearing what it looks like.
That’s true I forgot you had a shorter one

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Make sure you check out what he did with the exhaust. As I understand it, getting it out to the back is the challenge with those tanks

Make sure you check out what he did with the exhaust. As I understand it, getting it out to the back is the challenge with those tanks

Yes that is what I understand also. My plan is to exit the exhaust right in front of the rear tire if I go with one of these tanks.

From the dimensions on the website and climbing under my jeep this morning and taking some measurements, the actual coil springs don't even play into the conversation and are not an issue. The shocks definitely have to be outboarded. The one thing that may cause issues is the track bar (which I am still running) and it is going to be very, very close, I am thinking BFH and hope the corner of the tank smashes in without cracking close. If you are triangulated and have outboarded shocks you should be golden.

For the exhaust, I already have mine cut off before the axle and turned down.

For 99% of my wheeling, I don't need a fuel tank this big and could get away with a 15gal. However, with my desire to run the Dusy, Rubicon, Etc.... That 1% I would like to have the fuel in the tank and not carrying it in Jerry Cans. Decisions, Decisions!!

From the dimensions on the website and climbing under my jeep this morning and taking some measurements, the actual coil springs don't even play into the conversation and are not an issue. The shocks definitely have to be outboarded. The one thing that may cause issues is the track bar (which I am still running) and it is going to be very, very close, I am thinking BFH and hope the corner of the tank smashes in without cracking close. If you are triangulated and have outboarded shocks you should be golden.

For the exhaust, I already have mine cut off before the axle and turned down.

For 99% of my wheeling, I don't need a fuel tank this big and could get away with a 15gal. However, with my desire to run the Dusy, Rubicon, Etc.... That 1% I would like to have the fuel in the tank and not carrying it in Jerry Cans. Decisions, Decisions!!

If you have to pass on this tank can you let me know? Shipping might be a issue but maybe not.

I bought the tank last night. I actually ended up having wheeled with the guy before and he had it installed in a 2000 TJ with outboarded shocks, coil springs, and a track bar mounted in stock location, with a 8.8. All my measurements show that it will easily fit once the shocks are outboard.

Now I just need to find the time to outboard the shocks and get the tank installed. I haven't looked into it yet but I am hoping my 2004 fuel pump and all the lines (fill, breath, and evap) will just hook right up, but if not, I will figure it out.

I bought the tank last night. I actually ended up having wheeled with the guy before and he had it installed in a 2000 TJ with outboarded shocks, coil springs, and a track bar mounted in stock location, with a 8.8. All my measurements show that it will easily fit once the shocks are outboard.

Now I just need to find the time to outboard the shocks and get the tank installed. I haven't looked into it yet but I am hoping my 2004 fuel pump and all the lines (fill, breath, and evap) will just hook right up, but if not, I will figure it out.

Great news and that makes things better for me. I guess I'll pull the trigger here soon and order a tank also.

Ordered the 23 gallon tank and YJ filler bezel that GR sells. Got my fingers crossed 🤞 that everything fits and works.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I got the GR CRawler 23 installed. I actually installed it 1.25" higher by raising the cross-members. In addition to moving up the cross-members, I also moved the fwd attach holes on the GR tank approx 1" in order to get it as high as possible. Aft edge (bottom of the slope) is only 1/2" lower than the stock OEM tank.

Drilled hole 1" lower:
GR fwd attach.jpg

Trimmed off:
GR fwd attach lowered.jpg

Raised cross-members 1.25"
Fwd cross-member raised, also showing spring perches which are centered in arch (you CAN install tank with springs, but you HAVE to outbd shocks):
fwd crossmember raised.jpg

Aft cross-member raised and tank installed:

GR23 installed 1.25 higher.jpg

I got the GR CRawler 23 installed. I actually installed it 1.25" higher by raising the cross-members. In addition to moving up the cross-members, I also moved the fwd attach holes on the GR tank approx 1" in order to get it as high as possible. Aft edge (bottom of the slope) is only 1/2" lower than the stock OEM tank.

Drilled hole 1" lower:
View attachment 290573
Trimmed off:
View attachment 290574

Raised cross-members 1.25"
Fwd cross-member raised, also showing spring perches which are centered in arch (you CAN install tank with springs, but you HAVE to outbd shocks):
View attachment 290575

Aft cross-member raised and tank installed:

View attachment 290576

Awesome thanks for sharing. That makes me feel a lot better about my purchase.

Was curious what less expensive options are for the GR gas filler/vent? I really like how it looks and don't want to use the stock location, but having a hard time with the cost... Buy once/cry once?