Looking for feedback / experience with Genright's, Alien and / or Comp 23 gas tanks

Fouledplugs

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Looking for some pro's and con's and feedback/experience from members running one of Genright's, "Comp 23," or, "Alien," gas tanks.

Genright's, "Comp 23" gas tank (6-7 inches of stretch) PN - GST-2053
GST2053_1200__94901.1460647425.1280.1280_copy__53399.1472503780.1280.1280.jpg

Genright's, "Alien" gas tank (8-9 inches of stretch) PN - GST-2006
GST2006-1200__95526.1469217210.1280.1280_copy__52516.1472503932.1280.1280.jpg

• Pro's?
  • Con's?
  • What rear axle are you using? Which diff cover are you running? (both seem to play a role in amount of stretched)
  • Were you able to get the full advertised 6-7 inches of stretch out of Genright's, "Comp 23" tank?
  • Were you able to get the full advertised 8-9 inches of the stretch of Gentright's, "Alien" tank?
  • Were you able to use/re-use your OEM filler on the body?
  • Were you able to relocate the fuel filler, thus, replicating an OEM install?
  • Issues you ran into and solutions to those using one of these tanks in your TJ/JL build
  • Would you do it again? Why or why not?

Not exactly answering your question, but I installed the 24.5 gallon extended tank.
All of the OEM stuff transferred over without issue, including the evap system and the filler neck.

For the 24.5 gallon tank I can extend my lower control arms to about 16.25" at which point the stock Dana 44 cover contacts the gas tank skid at full bump (both sides). With a bit of manipulation of the skid I probably could get it to 16.75".

Only issue I had is the new Currie trackbar contacts the lip of the skid at full bump (both sides), so I'll need to trim it a bit or slide it just a little.

The skid has slots so the tank/skid can be slid forwards or backwards an inch to optimize differential clearance and departure angle.

I have an 06, which has the newer style evap system, and everything hooked up fine and I have no issues or codes. No gas overflow issue anymore either.

I got about 24 1/4 gallons in it before the pump shut off.

I originally wanted the aluminum skid, but apparently they only make like 5 every 2 years due to low demand. Next batch was due next year, so I switched to the steel. The difference between the two is 35 lbs according to Genright. Both are 3/16" so hopefully the steel is more puncture resistant.

I installed the entire tank. No complaints whatsoever, it’s a finely made piece!

Mine wasn’t 23 gallon though.
And IIRC your tank was a stock like replacement. Did you utilize a rear stretch tank? Did you stretch your rear axle?
Not exactly answering your question, but I installed the 24.5 gallon extended tank.
All of the OEM stuff transferred over without issue, including the evap system and the filler neck.

For the 24.5 gallon tank I can extend my lower control arms to about 16.25" at which point the stock Dana 44 cover contacts the gas tank skid at full bump (both sides). With a bit of manipulation of the skid I probably could get it to 16.75".

Only issue I had is the new Currie trackbar contacts the lip of the skid at full bump (both sides), so I'll need to trim it a bit or slide it just a little.

The skid has slots so the tank/skid can be slid forwards or backwards an inch to optimize differential clearance and departure angle.

I have an 06, which has the newer style evap system, and everything hooked up fine and I have no issues or codes. No gas overflow issue anymore either.

I originally wanted the aluminum skid, but apparently they only make like 5 every 2 years due to low demand. Next batch was due next year, so I switched to the steel. The difference between the two is 35 lbs according to Genright. Both are 3/16" so hopefully the steel is more puncture resistant.
I enjoy reading that the issues that you have had thus far are minor/small.

No complaints whatsoever, it’s a finely made piece!
It's refreshing to read that Genright's tanks are quality built tanks.

My buddy had an Alien years ago. I think it was like 11 gallons. PITA. All of their tanks are quality pieces though, I would get the 23 gallon one for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
I have about six months on my GenRight extended range tank (2000 TJ), not one that you asked about. But it went in position perfectly, accepted all OEM fittings, including a new Bosch pump assembly. Visually, I lost no ground clearance and the Jeep does not squat from the additional weight. I can pack 25 gallons into it (say, at the beginning of a road trip) and, leaving a few gallons as a baseline empty, my range has been increased by nearly 50 percent. I commonly get over 300 highway miles before the low fuel light comes on. In fact, I still get antsy going that far, so I often fill around 250. With the Rotopax two gallon container on the Morryde tailgate hinge carrier, I think I could count on 400 road miles with enough gas left to start a dinner fire, at least 3 gallons. I love the thing, it's one of my favorite mods.

It's refreshing to read that Genright's tanks are quality built tanks.

To be honest, everything GenRight I've ever owned I've been damn impressed with. The guy who does their welding is so damn good, it looks like it was welded by the hand of god himself. Seriously, it's like a perfect stack of dimes, every single weld!

And IIRC your tank was a stock like replacement. Did you utilize a rear stretch tank? Did you stretch your rear axle?

I enjoy reading that the issues that you have had thus far are minor/small.

It was a stock replacement, but it was the stretch tank that allowed for much more clearance between the rear diff and the fuel tank itself (about 4-5" if I remember correctly).

I didn't stretch the rear axle, but that tank would have given me plenty of room to do so, had I wanted to.

I run Genright’s 19, and as stated many times it’s first rate. Don’t know the number, but I was able to push my 14 bolt back far enough to get the 40’s even with the rear.

What I’ve read is that the larger tanks are squared off at the front corners to get the additional capacity, but that can interfere with getting the exhaust to the rear of the Jeep. That is the reason I did not go with the larger tank at that time.

I’ve not personally seen that issue, but it’s worth checking out. Not an issue at all with the Alien.

I'm another one who had the extended range tank. It was actually Tony's tank that I bought in 2007 I think.
I have a Tera-Low CRD60 and was able to BARELY clear the tank. Everything hooked up just like stock. I'll miss that tank and I've not figured out what I'm going to do now.
I've moved my axle back 4.75" so I should be able to run the 19 gallon tank I think. But until I get things mocked up I won't know. If not I'll get their 19 gallon fuel cell.

Just like everyone else the quality was top notch.

With your 24.5 gallon extended tank install did you add a body lift or drop kit to get it to fit your 06 TJ?

The difference is solely in the venting for the vapor recovery system. If you have an 05-06 and need to remain emissions compliant, you will need to use the 05-06 style tank. I imagine you could adapt the 03-04 or earlier tank, but there may be issues with the vapor recovery systems.

Personally, I would not risk trying to adapt it. Not only could the wrong emissions setup cause a CEL and an inability to pass state inspection, it could also damage the very expensive charcoal vapor recovery unit, or possibly even send slugs of fuel into the engine through the vacuum lines.

If you have an off-road only vehicle and have deleted the charcoal canister, I imagine you could use whichever tank you would like.

The difference is solely in the venting for the vapor recovery system. If you have an 05-06 and need to remain emissions compliant, you will need to use the 05-06 style tank. I imagine you could adapt the 03-04 or earlier tank, but there may be issues with the vapor recovery systems.

Personally, I would not risk trying to adapt it. Not only could the wrong emissions setup cause a CEL and an inability to pass state inspection, it could also damage the very expensive charcoal vapor recovery unit, or possibly even send slugs of fuel into the engine through the vacuum lines.

If you have an off-road only vehicle and have deleted the charcoal canister, I imagine you could use whichever tank you would like.
So if I'm going LS with no emissions testing it shouldn't matter?

To keep an old thread alive. Has anyone installed the Comp23 with standard coil springs. I have standard coil spring buckets with outboarded shocks. Their website states:

Your Jeep must be outfitted with outboard shocks and/or coil overs to install this model tank (RSM-1001), it will not work with standard coil springs in the rear.

The and/or in that statement makes me think that it will work with outboard shocks and standard coil springs, but then the next statement says that it won't. I sent an email to GR, but I haven't received a response yet. I am not worried about the exhaust, I got a hacksaw for that.

To keep an old thread alive. Has anyone installed the Comp23 with standard coil springs. I have standard coil spring buckets with outboarded shocks. Their website states:

Your Jeep must be outfitted with outboard shocks and/or coil overs to install this model tank (RSM-1001), it will not work with standard coil springs in the rear.

The and/or in that statement makes me think that it will work with outboard shocks and standard coil springs, but then the next statement says that it won't. I sent an email to GR, but I haven't received a response yet. I am not worried about the exhaust, I got a hacksaw for that.
@Wildman was recently doing some measuring and he still has springs, he may have some insight otherwise @mrblaine has the most experience with that tank.

@Wildman was recently doing some measuring and he still has springs, he may have some insight otherwise @mrblaine has the most experience with that tank.

I'm not sure one way or the other honestly. Using the measurements they have listed on their website shows it SHOULD fit. But until someone tries it I'm not sure.
Once I get my rear axle installed again I'm going to take some more measurements but that won't be for a few days.