Looking for good replacements for sound bar speakers

Well, got my new speakers and bracket in. Used the quick connects and had everything swapped in ten min or so again. Went to turn it on and the front passenger speaker does not work (old one didn't work before, thought it was blown). Guess I'll start hunting for a bad wire this weekend.

Well, got my new speakers and bracket in. Used the quick connects and had everything swapped in ten min or so again. Went to turn it on and the front passenger speaker does not work (old one didn't work before, thought it was blown). Guess I'll start hunting for a bad wire this weekend.

Did you get another set of Kicker 5.25" for the fronts? Quite possibly the stock pigtails could have come loose, check those out.

Do you have a stock head unit using stock wiring?

Yes all stock. I was gonna do the 6.5 and move the 5.25s but had used the last of my points to get some Kenwood 4x6 for under .50 cents before I had asked y'all and couldn't return them until shipped so I figured I'd give those a try.

Coincidentally the fog switch i believe routes wiring down passenger side which is also not working atm. I'm wondering if something may have happened when those were put in. Po wouldn't have missed one speaker out.

72-6514. Does anyone know if this is the correct metra part number for sound bar speaker wires? Amazon says does not fit 2003 tj.

Points are great, but don't force spend them. I believe you said you were not into audiophile so I would keep it simple.

Do you have the center console subwoofer or no subwoofer?

I honestly would move your 5.25" to the front and buy 6.5" for the speaker pods and stick with the same kicker series of speaker.

Next step would be to get an amplifier though, 4 channel to power them, but only if wanted, if you get the Jeep itch to upgrade/mod.
After installing the 4x6 in the front I returned it to stock and took them back to the store. Following your suggestion I bought the matching 6.5s and a 5.25 adaptor for the front. Should be in by next week.

Reactions: skrelnik
So the new 6.5s came in and look just like the others but bigger.
I did notice they are slightly too big to fit in the recess of the soundbar. Is that common? It looks like I could possibly find the edges off but then I don't know if the grill would fit over it as that's the mounting point.

20200623_183810.jpg

So the new 6.5s came in and look just like the others but bigger.
I did notice they are slightly too big to fit in the recess of the soundbar. Is that common? It looks like I could possibly find the edges off but then I don't know if the grill would fit over it as that's the mounting point.

View attachment 171773

While these are not your speakers, this is how they would sit. You have to angle the screws in there. Could be frustrating, but you'll get it.

IMG_20200523_091439.jpg

Thanks bud. It's hard to tell but is that sitting in the recess or on top?
Here's a Sideview of mine eyeballing center right now. With the tabs it won't possibly fit in the recess. I can angle the screws but probably need to go find something longer than the stock ones

20200623_195450.jpg

Thanks bud. It's hard to tell but is that sitting in the recess or on top?
Here's a Sideview of mine eyeballing center right now. With the tabs it won't possibly fit in the recess. I can angle the screws but probably need to go find something longer than the stock ones

View attachment 171778

Not in the recess, sitting on top. You can put a rubber surround in the gap, like below. If there are speaker covers you would need 8 screws per side, most likely.
IMG_20200523_093728.jpgIMG_20200523_154807.jpg

Awesome, thanks for all the prompt responses. I'm going to run by Lowe's and see about getting some longer screws as the oem just wouldn't be long enough. Testing the grill only i could get one of them with like 2 threads.

Hadnt thought about installing without the grills.

Awesome, thanks for all the prompt responses. I'm going to run by Lowe's and see about getting some longer screws as the oem just wouldn't be long enough. Testing the grill only i could get one of them with like 2 threads.

Hadnt thought about installing without the grills.

Grill is dependent on you. If you stuff things, like a hockey stick, you could damage it. If not, I think it looks better with no cover.

If you go to Lowe's look for extra clips that the screws go into...just in case you lose or damage one. Probably costs $2.

Reactions: chuckie669
Been following this thread and planning a sound upgrade myself. 2001 all stock components / no subwoofer, thinking speakers and head unit change will suite me just fine. Saw these dash pods for 5 1/4” speakers and wonder if they would make that much difference. Rather expensive compared to just brackets. Thoughts?
1593539926288.png

Idk. Is the hole in the back big enough to run the stock harness thru. I'm sure the reviews will tell you more.

The no splice wire harness on bb was $10 and the metra 5.25 kit another$10 so if you were buying budget speakers like me that$60 difference would pay for the front speakers. If your getting something higher quality maybe... just my. 02

Been following this thread and planning a sound upgrade myself. 2001 all stock components / no subwoofer, thinking speakers and head unit change will suite me just fine. Saw these dash pods for 5 1/4” speakers and wonder if they would make that much difference. Rather expensive compared to just brackets. Thoughts?
View attachment 173469

They are helpful, but expensive for an inexpensive build, and for most people these pods will cost more than the speakers themselves. If it were me, I would base the decision on your system. If you want a simple inexpensive upgrade, then grab a set of $50 Kicker 5.25" coaxials and call it a day. They come with free brackets if you order from Crutchfield, and if you want a more economical enclosure, you can get these 5.25" Boom Mat baffles.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_696B050320/Boom-Mat-5-1-4-inch-Speaker-Baffles-Regular-4-depth.html
If you wanted to spend more money on a better build, then I would advise you purchase the Select Increment pods, along with a decent amplifier and subwoofer.

I do have those pods along with Boom Matt sound deadener used as a gasket.

1593545715338.png

Well, it looks like I'm going to upgrade my speakers whether I want/need to or not! After all the yakking here about how bad the stockers are, I decided I should at least inspect them. Turns out, one of them was missing from the sound bar! Whiskey, Tango, the Foxtrot?!?

Turns out that a pair of 6 inch Jensen marine speakers that I've had kicking around for years fit in the recess exactly. Since I'm going to go with a "mechless" Jensen industrial grade head unit anyway, I guess this is synchronicity! I ordered a pair of adapter pigtails so I wouldn't be soldering wires overhead, and a set of $8 grills as well.
00.jpg

Anybody need ONE stock speaker? Yours for the shipping!