Looking for ideas and suggestions on 2006 TJ Rubicon upgrades

While I still haven't made my mind up on the suspension lift, several I'm looking at recommend/require a body lift. I'm going to go ahead and order a body lift. Those areas will have to have rust dealt with and factory bushings probably need replaced anyway. I've had trouble from the shifter linkage before so I'm hoping to change that to a shifter cable and be that much farther along if I need a motor mount lift to help with driveline angles.
Are there any issues to look out for with a body lift.
Are there any other issues with pedals or controls when lifting 1-1.25" body lift?

Any recommendations for a rust treatment? I see por15 on forums but have never used it

View attachment 132742
The issues with the body lift are

1) you’ll have to lower the fan shroud 1”
2) you’ll have to lengthen your gas tank fill tube

Reactions: Muddyjeep276
Not trying to scare you off, it’s just to do 35s with any form of reliability isn’t going to come cheap.

Don’t forget labor costs too if you aren’t mechanically inclined

Now that I typed all that out, and the fact that I really enjoy driving mine and using it for hunting... I might make the switch to a 33 build and pocket the cash over the next couple years and buy a crawler on tons / coil overs already build for 15-20k lol

Thanks for the reply, especially the #'s rundown, and pictures. That's a good looking jeep.

I'm still deciding on the lift, Mid-Arm and Long Arm is out of the budget. I've been narrowing down to a few lifts.It's tough to compare with some kits being incomplete in different ways.

Meanwhile till I get that part figured out, I've started ordering some parts.
big brake kit 15" with pads
Savvy shifter cable
Savvy1.25"body lift,
OEM replacement body mount bushings
Wheels 15x8 3.75bs

I'm looking into the tummy tuck skid and motor mount too. Do I need have it done along with the lift before the driveshaft is measured?

If I run a lift with DC driveshaft, and then later add a tummy tuck, Would the same driveshaft work? Or would the length change substantially?

33x12.5r15 will likely be what I try. I think I can put a regear off with that,and be simple to upsize later if I want.

Tummy tuck question.
If I use a Mid-height tummy tuck like the Rokman with a 1" motor mount lift and a UCF low pro transmission mount.
Would that be possible? And would that help with rear driveline angle?
Would the 1.25" bodylift still be nesacery?

IMO- to do 35’s properly with top notch gear isn’t cheap. Give you an idea of what I’m working towards to fix my PO’s half assed 35 build TJR

Prices are ball park off the top of my head

Currie 4” ~$2700
1.25 Savvy BL -~$150
MML ~$100
Tummy Tuck Skid and DS ~$700
Currielink Steering ~$500
5.13 Gears ~$2000
Big Brake Kit ~$1200
Cable Shifter ~$160
Front / Rear Shafts ~$1000
Wheels and Tires ~$2000
Shocks ~$200+++

That’s 9K in driveline and suspension alone to have a reliable well rounded set up and doesn’t even include armor, winch, recovery gear etc...

33’s be much cheaper. But if money isn’t a factor- do a build thread 😎

View attachment 132457

View attachment 132458

I'm chugging along checking off part of the list anyway. The 1st picture, looks like a familiar place. Would that be Ky? Off of 119/23 maybee

The budget just got busted tonight.
I had to look at the winches,but in all fairness, there's a big empty spot where a winch is supposed to be. I went ahead and ordered a Smittybuilt XRC 9500 gen 3 with synthetic cable. And just like that, the tummy tuck is gona have to wait a little. $5000?..where did that go?
Just kidding kinda. So the tires will be 33s no 35s for a while,and looks like Metalcloak will be the suspension.
It's looking like about $6100 will about do it.

I was planning on ordering the suspension kit today, but then there was a gamechanger. The lift I wanted is on backorder. That worked out and found a Currie/Rancho kit. It's not running the antirock I liked. I mostly wanted those because I thought it would improve clearance over the stock swaybar,and think they look pretty cool. I'd never really had any trouble running the OEM sway bar accept for broken end links.
I think I've just about got what I'll need on order,accept for a driveshaft.

I was planning on ordering the suspension kit today, but then there was a gamechanger. The lift I wanted is on backorder. That worked out and found a Currie/Rancho kit. It's not running the antirock I liked. I mostly wanted those because I thought it would improve clearance over the stock swaybar,and think they look pretty cool. I'd never really had any trouble running the OEM sway bar accept for broken end links.
I think I've just about got what I'll need on order,accept for a driveshaft.

It gets worse,I thought I'd found another lift comparable price. I was wrong quadratec made the sale on a kit they didnt have in stock. Now it will probably be a couple weeks to a month extra before I can put any lift on. My money is gona be tied up on the backorder for the shocks.

I've gotta figure out what's next.
I'm hoping they could substitute the missing parts or refund so I can buy something with less wait time.

Does anyone know where to get a decent deal on a complete currie lift ready to ship? Or how long Metalcloak is on backorder?
I'd like to be able to install this next week instead of someday down the road.

Hopefully my out of stock/back order stuff is taken care of. I'm not going to be able to get the adjustable rancho's but instead a fox 2.0,
The ups and FedEx guys are gona be pretty familiar with my jeep. The parts have started coming in. That savvy shifter cable looks pretty awesome.
I've got my tires on the way now. I ended up with milestar 35x12.5r15 so I'll need to figure out a solution for a big spare.

Last edited:
The Savvy stuff is starting to come in pretty quick, I picked up a new winch and got it installed and wound up,and the 1.25 body lift installed with the help of a friend. Also busted a radiater,fan shroud and 4wd linkage.Tires and currie 4"lift should be here soon. Snazzy savvy shifter yet to install,but now needed for sure.
At tha same time I changed the factory body bushings,and I gotta say it's a massive improvement along with the bl its so much quieter and smoother riding down the road. Body bushings make a huge impact,like a brand new set of balanced tires difference. Even the sound is quieter less roadnoise.
The steering is noticeably tighter at the wheel and the gearshift making it a little tougher to hit reverse.

Have you tried Currie directly ?

It's a pricey kit, but I love mine

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/suspension-kits-tj-wrangler-97-06
I had looked at the Currie site and thought it was just msrp to not compete with they're retailers.The kit I ordered is a combo quadratec has 9800h the one with disconnects, that and adjustable rancho together.

I'd wanted to get somthing with a set of good shocks appropriate for the lift it'd be used for, to avoid me having to guess about which shock to use,or wasting money on the wrong ones. They substituted the adjustable rancho with the fox racing 2.0
Its was maybee just bad luck, but I'd pretty much wanted a Currie lift and couldn't find it with shocks. I liked the look of the metalcloak but it went to backorder when I was trieng to buy.
Then I found the Currie lift I already liked with shocks ordered and all was well. Then the bank declined the sale, cash in the bank,I've been pretty frugal a long time to save for this and they probably thought I'd been robbed because of all the Jeep parts...lol.
Anyway the next day get the order in again and whalla, backorder on the shocks. None of it's a big deal really I just didn't think it'd be so eventful buying car parts.

Last edited:
I'm still missing a dc rear driveshaft and undecided on 1310 or 1330,and ordering before to have ready,or after adding lift and new pinion angle. I'm thinking there's probably a million jeeps before me with a 4" lift and prebuilt would be pretty close in size. Id rather not run around in front wheel drive. So more studieng up on driveline stuff.

Since Im going for a 4" lift and possibly a tummy tuck later would an off the shelf dc driveshaft, say like the ones advertised as 4-6" lift be good?

I'm still missing a dc rear driveshaft and undecided on 1310 or 1330,and ordering before to have ready,or after adding lift and new pinion angle. I'm thinking there's probably a million jeeps before me with a 4" lift and prebuilt would be pretty close in size. Id rather not run around in front wheel drive. So more studieng up on driveline stuff.

Since Im going for a 4" lift and possibly a tummy tuck later would an off the shelf dc driveshaft, say like the ones advertised as 4-6" lift be good?

call Tom Wood's: https://4xshaft.com/

A note on the BBK.

I’m running a 16” kit with my 15x8 wheels. There’s not much extra room but it works. I’d talk with Blaine before ordering.

A note on the BBK.

I’m running a 16” kit with my 15x8 wheels. There’s not much extra room but it works. I’d talk with Blaine before ordering.

I never thought about running the 16" BBK rotor with 15" wheels. Sounds better though. I've already orderd the 15"kit,and have the wheels. They're 15x8 3.75bs.

My 4" lift with a TT has to run 1310s. A 1350 would limit my suspension travel due to the less operating angle they have. Stick with 1310s, they are up to the job.

Ive never read anything bad about Tom Woods, Adams Driveshafts, or even Tatton. They have been doing driveshafts long enough that you can give them a measurement and they can build/ship it to you. I had my driveshaft built locally by a driveline shop.