Looking for input on lift kits - 2006 Rubicon

Mardebo

I have a 2006 Rubicon. I just upgraded to BFG 285/75/16 KO2 (kept the stock Moab rims cause I like em!!) but of course, now they rub on the frame rail when I turn hard . Want to put a suspension lift on but nothing too aggressive. My offroad is maybe 20% of use. Would love to soften up the ride a touch. Thinking probably 2" max. Would love to hear what people have tried and like/don't like. What would you do all over again? What would you never try again? I'll upload a pic when I can.

I run a 2.5" OME and 1" body lift with rancho 9000 shocks and am very happy with the ride quality. I have the same sized tires and this lift fits perfectly.

I run a 2.5 OME lift (heavy kit) with a 1.25 JKS Body Lift with the same size tires. Also have front and rear adjustable track bars and new sway bar links. Essentially it's DPG Offroads kit, just pieced it together... I had to put a few washers in the Steering Stops but it fixed my rubbing issues. @Chris has a how-to on that in the resources section.

I wouldn't change a thing as long as 33s are on the TJ, you'll find it's a popular lift here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
09f68bb671a7f282a0ea4db6c84aecb8.jpg

Reactions: skrelnik and Chris
I have a 2006 Rubicon. I just upgraded to BFG 285/75/16 KO2 (kept the stock Moab rims cause I like em!!) but of course, now they rub on the frame rail when I turn hard . Want to put a suspension lift on but nothing too aggressive. My offroad is maybe 20% of use. Would love to soften up the ride a touch. Thinking probably 2" max. Would love to hear what people have tried and like/don't like. What would you do all over again? What would you never try again? I'll upload a pic when I can.
You are able to run the 285s with no suspension adjustments currently? Your completely stock right now?

Even with the steering stops adjusted on my 285/Moab/Duratrac combo I found I rubbed the sway bar pretty badly offroad. A set of Spidertrax 1.25 spacers did the trick, and as a bonus I was able to remove the washers from my steering stops. The Duratracs and Ko2s have a pretty aggressive sidewall tread that needs a bit more space.

I run a 2.5" OME and 1" body lift with rancho 9000 shocks and am very happy with the ride quality. I have the same sized tires and this lift fits perfectly.
Question, did you just piece together the lift kit and buy shocks separately? Or is there an OME 2.5" kit out there with no shocks?

I'll put another notch for the dpg ultimate kit. I went with the heavy duty springs and medium shocks. Dirk was great about customizing the shocks and springs for the jeep. Had I needed to do it again I might have used metal cloak track bars. I ignored the masses and tried to run the poison spyder diff covers which made contact at the body attachment. With my 285/75 I ditched the wheel spacers in favor of 3 washers, was not a fan of the tires sticking out so much.

Question, did you just piece together the lift kit and buy shocks separately? Or is there an OME 2.5" kit out there with no shocks?

I would advise ordering everything seperate so you can customize it for your Jeep. You can order packages from many vendors with or without shocks if you choose.
I went with the ZJ springs in the front to accommodate the weight of my winch and bumper. In the rear I installed the LJ springs. I used the OME rear track bar bracket and orded a Metalcloak adjustable front track bar. I've heard the JKS track bar also works well. For shocks I bought the Rancho 9000xl adjustables.
If you go OME post up more details about your Jeep ( i.e. hardtop/softop, winch, bumpers, armor) and people can guide you towards the right spring numbers.

Yes, completely stock. I do have body armour/ fender flares so plenty of clearance, but suspension is all stock Rubicon

You are effectively on 33s and need to build for that.

The goal is to maintain that 4" of suspension up travel that came from the factory. Despite what anyone may say, a street Jeep needs it and you currently don't have it. Changing the flares does not add clearance unless you have also moved sheet metal out of the way.

You want a minimum of 3.5" total lift (spring + body), extended bump stops and appropriately sized shocks.

The Rubicon has a short rear driveshaft that will bind sooner than other TJs. Chances are good that you will need to either lower the transfer case or switch to a double cardan rear driveshaft with adjustable control arms. A motor mount lift will help.

33s should also have the ZJ tie rod added to the steering and Black Magic Brake Pads. A rear track bar relocation bracket is a good idea, as is a front adjustable track bar. Longer front brake hoses are also a good thing to add.

Add a couple washers to the steering stops or install 1.25" wheel spacers.

Last edited:
You are effectively on 33s and need to build for that.

The goal is to maintain that 4" of suspension up travel that came from the factory. Despite what anyone may say, a street Jeep needs it and you currently don't have it. Changing the flares does not add clearance unless you have also moved sheet metal out of the way.

You want a minimum of 3.5" total lift (spring + body), extended bump stops and appropriately sized shocks.

The Rubicon has a short rear driveshaft that will bind sooner than other TJs. Chances are good that you will need to either lower the transfer case or switch to a double cardan rear driveshaft with adjustable control arms. A motor mount lift will help.

33s should also have the ZJ tie rod added to the steering and Black Magic Brake Pads. A rear track bar relocation bracket is a good idea, as is a front adjustable track bar. Longer front brake hoses are also a good thing to add.

Add a couple washers to the steering stops or install 1.25" wheel spacers.
Hello, I have a 2006 Rubicon I purchased where the previous owner added 2.5” spacers above the springs. I need a little spoon feeding but I am interested in a 3.5 inch lift with Rancho RS 5000 shocks and OME spring kit assembly. Would you know how I would be able to get all I need to fulfill this order for the everything?
Thanks,
Steve