California Looking for Mechanic in San Francisco

Mikes03TJ

Looking for a recommendation for mechanic/shop for jeep TJ in San Francisco Bay Area who specializes or works on the TJs so they know what to look for. Just purchased my Jeep last November and hear a grinding type noise when driving but it goes away when you are on the gas or in neutral. Only happens in lower gears. Thought it might be front differential so I changed the fluid out but didn’t seem to get rid of it. Previous owner who owned past 10 years had the clutch replaced before I bought it. No funny smell and car runs fine. No issues shifting. No check engine lights. Previous owner says it’s normal sound but just want to make sure. Thanks!

I am sure you can find someone living in a tent on the street that knows a great deal about older Jeeps as long they are not JK's.

A lot of shops in the bay are very expensive and have quite a long wait but there is a lot of Jeep/offroad shops. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Arabia’s overkill for Jeep specific stuff in South Bay but the prices they have quoted me were nuts.

A couple of other Jeep shops people speak highly of:
Shaffers Offroad
4x4 shop in Livermore

I took my Jeep to sunset 76 a few times for generic things I didn’t have time to do my self, not Jeep technicians but honest and fair, they just are normally swamped so for an issue that’ll take longer they might not want to deal with it and refer you elsewhere.