Looking for on-board air ideas

So just the bull bar is the tank or the whole bumper?
The yellow hose feeds the bumper. The blue cap with a chain covers the quick coupler. The bull bar is surface welded to the bumper. To my knowledge, there is not an air passage connecting the two.

.... As for a "buffer tank" to keep a compressor with an on-off pressure switch from cycling on and off too frequently, a small 1/2 gal. tank is more than sufficient. (A friend with a York experimented a bit and discovered that a longer 3/8" air hose was all he needed to provide enough volume to stop the cycling.)

The entirety of the plumbing between the pump head to the end of the hose filling the tire or powering the tool is a "buffer tank".

Reactions: Mr. Bills

Same reason that well systems come with large pressure tanks. A small one could easily maintain pressure, but larger ones reduce pump cycling

Similar perhaps. People are also spoiled and tend to want to watch a steady stream of water while we brush our teeth. It's less intimating.

Last edited:
You miss the point. It has nothing to do with whether one has a high capacity York, medium capacity Sanden, or relatively low capacity ARB or Viair 12v compressor. Its about total time with whatever compressor you are using.

Regardless of the compressor, you will be spending the same time compressing air to a given pressure in a 5 gallon tank as you will filling an equal volume of tire(s) to that same pressure. All you are doing when filling a tank is filling one vessel then transferring that air to the tires rather than filling the tires directly. The work performed by the compressor and the time to do it is the same.

Tanks are desirable when you need a source of stored air such as for air lockers, air horns or air tools, although only Yorks have enough capacity to keep up with air tools regardless of how large the tank. Also, the work done by air-driven impact wrenches and grinders can now be done as well or better with lithium ion battery powered tools without any of the complexity of an engine driven compressor. As for a "buffer tank" to keep a compressor with an on-off pressure switch from cycling on and off too frequently, a small 1/2 gal. tank is more than sufficient. (A friend with a York experimented a bit and discovered that a longer 3/8" air hose was all he needed to provide enough volume to stop the cycling.)
Nicely put!

Reactions: jjvw
Similar perhaps. People are spoiled and tend to want to watch a steady stream of water while we brush our teeth.
Most well systems could get by with a much smaller tank than they currently use and maintain pressure just as well.
For example, many household wells are set at 20/40 psi. Meaning the pump kicks on when pressure drops to 20 psi, and off at 40. Regardless of tank size, pressure will be within that band, unless the continuous demand is higher than the pump can supply. But the larger tanks do two major things:
1. Reduce pump cycling. Reduced cycling leads to a longer pump life, due to thermal transients.
2. Provide relief for peak demands that exceed pump flow. When you flush a commercial toilet on a well system, the toilet temporarily uses a far higher GPM than the pump can provide. This gap is filled in by the pressure tanks.

They also provide a few minor benefits, such as:
Slower, more gradual pressure changes
Water storage in the event of a power outage or pump failure

Compressed air systems are similar. For certain demands, such as filling tires, tanks offer little benefit for cycling or peak demands. However, for demands with lower CFM requirements, such as small air tools and lockers, the tank will reduce pump cycling. And for larger short duration demands, such as blasting brake dust off a caliper with an air gun, the tank will provide a much higher instantaneous CFM than the compressor and lines can alone.

And even in the case of filling tires, a tank will provide a measurable benefit, in that the compressor will keep compressing air between tire fills. Whether that particular benefit is noticeable enough to be worth the $100 for a tank is debatable.

If I ever get around to installing onboard air, I will use a tank, maybe a 2 gallon. The tank is far cheaper than the compressor, and I’d prefer to extend the life of the compressor as much as possible. In addition, I really see no other use for the space where tanks are usually installed under the body.

Reactions: Zorba and reddvltj
I am using a CO2 tank. It does take up space in the back but its bearable. Refills happen maybe 2-3 times a summer. I can fill up each tire about 5 times with my 10lb tank.
View attachment 99149

And for those of us that have multiple rigs the tank can go with whichever one I decide to drive that day. And help out a buddy without jockeying around on the trail to get close enough to fill their tires. Or bicycles. Or motorcycles. Or ATV, SXS etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: reddvltj
Someone gave me a 10 CO2 tank from a kegerator setup. I seriously thought about using that for air but with the thought of driving so far to get it filled and regular re-certs I sold it. It definitely has its advantages though.

. . . If I ever get around to installing onboard air, I will use a tank, maybe a 2 gallon. The tank is far cheaper than the compressor, and I’d prefer to extend the life of the compressor as much as possible.

Consider a 1 gal. or 1/2 gal. tank instead. There isn't as much room under the rig for an air tank as you might think.

For tanks I often recommend the Hadley 1 gal. and 1/2 gal. air horn tanks. The small diameter allows them to be mounted in several locations under a TJ or LJ that the larger 2 and 2 1/2 gal. tanks would never fit. (The Hadley 1/2 gal. is 5" dia. x 7" L; the 1 gal. is 5" dia. x 14" L.)

The onboard air system I used in my CJ-7 had a 1 gal. Hadley tank. It used exactly the same mil-spec Thomas 1/3 HP 12v compressor and tank that Currie marketed at the time, but I bought my compressor from Brad Kilby when he was first starting his onboard air company and the tank was used from a wrecked RV. When comparing "air up time" with similar systems using a Hadley 1/2 gal. tank, my 1 gal. Hadley tank, the 2 gal. tank that Kilby offered, and no tank at all, there was very little difference in total times. ( I remember the occasion well because there was a case of beer at stake and much wailing and gnashing of teeth when the judges declared there was no clear winner.)

If I were to add a tank to my current system it would be the Hadley 1/2 gal. tank.

Hadley 1/2 gal. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FMPP7U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Hadley 1 gal. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O0C90O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

81322Jk8YxL._SL1500_.jpg

You miss the point. It has nothing to do with whether one has a high capacity York, medium capacity Sanden, or relatively low capacity ARB or Viair 12v compressor. Its about total time with whatever compressor you are using.

Regardless of the compressor, you will be spending the same time compressing air to a given pressure in a 5 gallon tank as you will filling an equal volume of tire(s) to that same pressure. All you are doing when filling a tank is filling one vessel then transferring that air to the tires rather than filling the tires directly. The work performed by the compressor and the time to do it is the same.

Tanks are desirable when you need a source of stored air such as for air lockers, air horns or air tools, although only Yorks have enough capacity to keep up with air tools regardless of how large the tank. Also, the work done by air-driven impact wrenches and grinders can now be done as well or better with lithium ion battery powered tools without any of the complexity of an engine driven compressor. As for a "buffer tank" to keep a compressor with an on-off pressure switch from cycling on and off too frequently, a small 1/2 gal. tank is more than sufficient. (A friend with a York experimented a bit and discovered that a longer 3/8" air hose was all he needed to provide enough volume to stop the cycling.)

I'm not missing the point at all.
1. The compressor makes a HUGE difference. A sanden pump does not deliver the air volume to adequately power an impact gun and a half gallon tank would be a waste of time... A York compressor producing a massive amount more volume can somewhat run an impact. With a larger volume tank the impact has a much better supply to work.

2. As for the time it takes to fill a 5 gallon tank to 150 psi being the same amount of time to fill your tires... That may be true, but I can fill my tank while driving down the trail, and whether my engine is running or not I have that air capacity ready when I need it. The advent of lithium tools is in some cases a game changer but only if you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a decent quality tool. I have both air and battery operated tools, impacts grinders and drills, the air tools take up less space and are lighter in comparison to their battery operated counterparts.

3. Once again this is a matter of personal preference You have your opinion of what is "needed" and I have mine.

Reactions: Zorba
The last I heard, fluid dynamics was a matter of physics and engineering rather than personal preference. :)
Argumentative much?!?!
It's not a matter of opinion that having a 5 gallon air tank filled to 150 psi is better than no air at all. It's also not a matter of opinion that a sanden air compressor will not keep up with the volume demands of an air impact without a reserve tank.

Argumentative much?!?!

You say that like its a bad thing.

An argument is simply a coherent series of reasons, statements, or facts intended to support or establish a position or point of view.

BTW, speaking of facts, do you have pictures of your Sanden compressor and how it is plumbed, also the 5 gallon tank mounted in your jeep? What type of air tools do you use on the trail and what is the pressure and cfm requirement for them? How many cfm does your Sanden compressor produce at engine idle? At 1,000 or 1,200 rpm? What size tires are you filling?

You may be right. You may be wrong. I may be as well. The facts will tell all. :)

• Haha
You say that like its a bad thing.

:)
HAHAHA
As for pics of what was in my 97se, no don't have pics any more. I haven't had that jeep since 2004. That jeep didn't come with A/C so I just mounted a used stock compressor and manifold plumbed to an adjustable run of the mill compressor switch like you would find on a home use compressor set to 150 psi. I had an air filter and an inline oiler on the suction line side of the compressor manifold. The plumbing was all done with hydraulic hose, and high pressure fittings. I mounted the tank in the back under a hard deck that I built using 5/8" plywood and pond liner as a cover.

Yes it took up a LOT of space unfortunately, but it fit along with my trail gear that stayed in the Jeep all the time and it was space that I didn't need. To start out with when I set it all up I has 32x11.50-15s. and no I don't have the figures on cfm at idle, 1000, or 1200 rpm. I had a IR 231 impact gun that had a max torque of 500 ft-lb at 90 psi with a consumption of 22 CFM at load... now that said, those are specs from a brand new equivalent of the gun I had. Now what I do KNOW for fact, is that I tried using the gun before I had the tank and it wouldn't hit hard enough to brake loose the lug nuts unless I pulled the trigger then let off and repeated a few times... Once I put the tank on no more issues. So facts and figures aside real life experience is what sold me on the idea of the tank in that instance.

I spent hours dry fitting a 2 gal. tank under my LJ, including the positions illustrated in the photos. Eventually I gave up. My concern was that each possible position is low hanging fruit for a hungry rock - even with the body lift shown in the last photo. Without a body lift I question how long a 2 gal. tank could survive.

The advantage of the half gallon and one gallon Hadley tanks is that they are only 5" in diameter. On my CJ-7 I mounted my 1 gal. Hadley tank laterally just behind the step up in the tub behind the front seats, above the driveshaft. Even at full stuff the driveshaft couldn't hit that skinny tank and it was completely protected from the rocks.

But the issue is largely academic to me because I do not need a tank and do not have one in the system I linked in post #5. I could easily have installed one, and have a Hadley 1/2 gallon tank from the auto recycler on the shelf in my garage ready to go if I ever choose to add air horns or ARB lockers.

Last edited:
I

run 33’s ATs.. I would like to use it as a blower, filling up rafts and tubes, tires and maybe a lug wrench
I run an ARB mounted under the hood, it’s a twin air and has a 100% duty cycle. I use DeWalt cordless tools for trail fixes, air tools use lots of air. If you’re dead set on running air tools then get a York. Most 12 volt compressors will be 50% duty cycle which means you need to let them cool down for 10 minutes after the same amount of use, some say 30 minutes of use but I’ve seen a lot of burnt up ones that were used like that.

Edit: I’m not a power tank fan either, for all the reasons mentioned.

Reactions: Daryl
I run an ARB mounted under the hood, it’s a twin air and has a 100% duty cycle. I use DeWalt cordless tools for trail fixes, air tools use lots of air. If you’re dead set on running air tools then get a York. Most 12 volt compressors will be 50% duty cycle which means you need to let them cool down for 10 minutes after the same amount of use, some say 30 minutes of use but I’ve seen a lot of burnt up ones that were used like that.

Edit: I’m not a power tank fan either, for all the reasons mentioned.
I see ur point and I believe it’s valid....there doesn't seem to be a ideal system out there unless you want to spend a grand that will be adequate on the trail or everyday life but there are some options that can work for specific situations... I use to want the warn winch with the air compressor but I don’t think they sell it anymore?.. or it’s got really expensive?

I see ur point and I believe it’s valid....there doesn't seem to be a ideal system out there unless you want to spend a grand that will be adequate on the trail or everyday life but there are some options that can work for specific situations... I use to want the warn winch with the air compressor but I don’t think they sell it anymore?.. or it’s got really expensive?
I think they go for about $3000. They take up a lot of real estate on the front of a vehicle the ARB twin air goes for about $530 and will fill up your tires aired up your toys and can even run air tools they say. I run air lockers front and back and a air operated sway lock. Mine fits neatly in the engine compartment right underneath the brake booster where the cruise control servo goes, I removed my tray and attached to the support to allow air to circulate under the pump, coincidentally there is a cavity under the tray big enough for a Hadley 1/2 gal tank if not larger. There is a similar space under the battery tray.

B8F39B32-1972-4700-9FAA-4CCAEC065C7F.jpeg
039D60E6-9D30-4E3B-9965-C433ADC3B794.jpeg
9D2A3B8C-B63B-45EB-9C2E-85873F7654BD.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting