Looking for opinions on GenRight aluminum fenders

Kooper

Supporting Member
Does anyone have an opinion on Gen Right Aluminum Fenders? I am looking to reduce some weight (on my TJ :cool: ) and these look like a nice way to accomplish that. Wondering if anyone has experience with these?

Does anyone have an opinion on Gen Right Aluminum Fenders? I am looking to reduce some weight (on my TJ :cool: ) and these look like a nice way to accomplish that. Wondering if anyone has experience with these?
The fit and finish is top-notch. If you use their inner fenders you'll need to drill holes to mount everything and some items like the stock airbox would need some creativity to remount. I ended up running a K&N filter because I didn't want to deal with it. I believe you can retain the factory inner fenders though.

Unless you buy the Highline version though don't expect any gains over the stock fenders.

20210327_140652.jpg

I have the rear steel units(not installed yet) and although heavy, they are not as heavy as one would think. The aluminum ones are probably a third of the weight of the ones I have which is crazy

I have the rear steel units(not installed yet) and although heavy, they are not as heavy as one would think. The aluminum ones are probably a third of the weight of the ones I have which is crazy
The GR fenders are extremely light. IIRC they weigh just under 10lbs each.

The fit and finish is top-notch. If you use their inner fenders you'll need to drill holes to mount everything and some items like the stock airbox would need some creativity to remount. I ended up running a K&N filter because I didn't want to deal with it. I believe you can retain the factory inner fenders though.

Unless you buy the Highline version though don't expect any gains over the stock fenders.

View attachment 241412
Those look great! I assume that they are the 4" version?

Reactions: Alex01

View attachment 241412
Those look great. I want to install those on my Sahara solely for the purpose of having something solid for my kids/dogs to get up into the back seat without breaking the rear fenders.

So the fronts can be installed without the inner fenders & having to rearrange stuff in the engine bay?

I have the 4" hi line front, non hi line rear. Used to have the non hi line front until I got 37's. Love the way they look.

Was looking into Poison Spider when I got them originally. Found they were having issues with 'cracking'. Then decided to stop making them instead of fixing the problem.

Calico0221.jpg

So the fronts can be installed without the inner fenders & having to rearrange stuff in the engine bay?
According to GR's site, you can. My guess is you'd need to do something similar to this...

Reactions: qslim
According to GR's site, you can. My guess is you'd need to do something similar to this...
You think the mounting is sturdy enough to use as a foothold?

You think the mounting is sturdy enough to use as a foothold?
I wouldn't be worried if the kids used them as a foothold. I'm not sure I personally would at just under 200lbs but I don't think they'd bend or break. The rear fenders are held with 1 5/16" and 3 1/4" IIRC.

Reactions: Plumber1 and qslim
I’m definitely watching since I damaged my fender recently and am planning the armor up phase next. I really like the aluminum look...

Reactions: JMT
^^
I have seen a few jeeps that just polish the alum and not paint match and it looks nice. I think it depends on the color combo

Thanks, Guys All great information! I don't think I'm ready for the high lines yet, but am hoping I can get some 35"s on her with the new fenders. I am trying to match the color (electric lime green) and have them powder coated. I don't think it'll be an exact match, but maybe close enough.

My biggest regret was not just doing the highlines to begin with. It's a little more work, but ends up being so much cooler looking and functional.

My biggest regret was not just doing the highlines to begin with. It's a little more work, but ends up being so much cooler looking and functional.
Looks are very subjective. I stuck a set on my TJ-6 to see how they looked, took them right back off. No one needs that much gap over their tires.

Reactions: JMT and LakeBeard