Looking for opinions on M/T tires

I (and a lot of others I know that have switched to them) love my General Grabber X3's. The type of wheeling you do will influance which tire would work best for your conditions though.

There are so many options, I like the Falken M/T's and Toyo open country M/T's. Try to find your optimal size and then look for a company that offers something in a C or D rate. C is optimal for our TJ's/LJ's according to what I see repeated around the forum.

Reactions: Starrs
Cooper Pros here. Around 30k on them, no problems with them. And yes they are E rated tire. Also I rotate them about every 3k and run 25psi in town.

Cooper ST Maxx been working great for me. They are E rated but they are tough. I run 20 psi on the street in them and ride is decent.

Like has been said, the type of driving and wheeling you do determines your tire choice. I switched to MTZ P3s this past year on my LJ, because my wheeling changed, and couldn't be happier with my choice. Unlike the previous tires, I've had zero issues with chunking and the sidewalls have proven themselves to be tough, yet compliant on the rocks. The tires have siping for decent wet weather traction and are relatively quiet. FWIW, I run a 35x12.50R17 D rated tire and air them down to 8 - 12 psi, depending on the terrain. I liked the MTZ P3s so much that I put a set of 33x12.50R17 ATZ P3s on my TJ for daily driving. Honestly, I've wheeled those as well and can't tell a lot of difference between the two tires. All that said, the Cooper STT Pro was my next tire choice.

Last edited:
Micky Thompsons and Dick Cepec are both made by Cooper. I have been a Cooper fan for decades. They tend to be quieter and better onroad than other brands. With excellent wear and minimal balancing too.

A90F9104-C3DB-46AA-A39F-D7E0416FEC48.png

I too am running Cooper SST, I’ve been very impressed with them. Great off road traction and not too loud at hwy speeds. They show very little wear and I’ve got 10,000 miles on mine, rotate every 3000.

I will throw in a vote for the Milestar Patagonias. For the price they are hard to beat. Have about 4,000 miles on mine. So far so good.

Had a set of Patagonias ordered because of the great reviews they get, with that being said, I canceled my order and switched it out for the BF Goodrich KO-2 because I like the design better for my highway only Jeep'n.

I will throw in a vote for the Milestar Patagonias. For the price they are hard to beat. Have about 4,000 miles on mine. So far so good.
Do you have any off road time with them? I read a review over on jeep forum (I believe) and the reviewer said that after several off road trips the tires were starting to chunk on him