Looking for Opinions on Snatch Blocks

MortimerSTS9

Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

just looking for opinions on reputable brands for snatch blocks. Looks like warn is as usual highly recommended but about twice as much as other competitors. Anyone have something they would recommend or had good experience with?

If you are interested in the TRE, check daily. They get sold out the same day they become available. I saw them available one morning, bought mine, and by the afternoon it was sold out.

Dang tre blacks are $150 a pop. And they are out of stock

Some of the price points are crazy on this stuff but if they are selling out as soon as they stock them, I guess I'm the fool. A lot of it is simply name recognition. Example; I just bought 2 tire repair kits and I was very interested in the differences between the ARB and some no name brand because they looked almost identical. ARB was $42 and the knock-off was $22. I received both and guess what? They are exactly the same thing except the cheaper kit comes with more crap I don't need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CR4J3W/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X15JJ4F/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have a few of the overland rings posted by @crackedcornish but I haven't used them yet. They seem as good as a snatch block.

Is there a consensus, one way or the other, about cast vs other styles of manufacture?

Some of the price points are crazy on this stuff but if they are selling out as soon as they stock them, I guess I'm the fool. A lot of it is simply name recognition. Example; I just bought 2 tire repair kits and I was very interested in the differences between the ARB and some no name brand because they looked almost identical. ARB was $42 and the knock-off was $22. I received both and guess what? They are exactly the same thing except the cheaper kit comes with more crap I don't need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CR4J3W/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X15JJ4F/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have a few of the overland rings posted by @crackedcornish but I haven't used them yet. They seem as good as a snatch block.
I have a friend who has made a career out of testing tire crap. I don't know if ARB is as good but one of the things that make Safety Seal superior is the goo on the plugs actually bonds to the butyl tire liner over time and makes a near permanent seal. If you lay the SS plugs next to a lot of others, they look identical but aren't. I was given a UDS tire plug kit and the first time I used it to plug a truck tire, the reamer broke out the side of the aluminum handle rendering it useless. I've done hundreds of plugs with SS tools without a single failure. If you lay them side by side, in appearance, you can't tell them apart.

. . . one of the things that make Safety Seal superior is the goo on the plugs actually bonds to the butyl tire liner over time and makes a near permanent seal.

. . . I've done hundreds of plugs with SS tools without a single failure. . . .

Many years ago, an offroading friend named Steve Gardner turned me on to the Safety Seal tire repair kit. I remember being told at the time that the tools were higher quality than most of the kits, but more importantly that the plugs were superior.

I can't say that I've done hundreds of Safety Seal plugs, or even one hundred, but the repairs I have attempted with Safety Seal plugs have all been successful.

I would imagine that the ARB kit is also high quality, but I'm going to stick with what I have. (Made in the USA, BTW)

Hey everyone,

just looking for opinions on reputable brands for snatch blocks. Looks like warn is as usual highly recommended but about twice as much as other competitors. Anyone have something they would recommend or had good experience with?
And they now source from China.
Their Made in USA blocks can still be found online if you dig.

Reactions: Blondie70
So, I am curious as to other’s opinions on these “snatch block rings”. It would seem to me that the soft shackle that is fed through the center and anchored off would put such a squeeze on the ring that it would not turn. This, it would seem, would force the winch line to slide through the pulley portion and generate a truck load of heat in the process, or am I missing something here.....

So, I am curious as to other’s opinions on these “snatch block rings”. It would seem to me that the soft shackle that is fed through the center and anchored off would put such a squeeze on the ring that it would not turn. This, it would seem, would force the winch line to slide through the pulley portion and generate a truck load of heat in the process, or am I missing something here.....

You aren't missing a thing.

If you can afford the TRE and are running synthetic only it looks great.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-single-pulley-snatch-block-20-000-lb-capacity

There seems to be nothing wrong with these, plenty of people use them and I haven't heard of a failure. Maybe somebody else that uses these things in tough conditions could comment on their weakness. There are certainly enough of them floating around that if there was some issue with a regular 20k block at least someone here would know about it.

Reactions: matkal
Those steel single pulley snatch blocks have been used for years. Some of the cheap versions on the market today are sold ungreased with a grease fitting incompatible with many of the common "joe homeowner" grease guns, but greased properly they work fine. Just something to be aware of.

As far as the TRE snatch block with synthetic - mo betta for mo dollah. I want one, but I'm not a regular wincher so old school will work for now. I have the capacity for an unlimited number of items on my want/need list but a finite stash of cash.

I have this one (or one just like it). I think it was all of $24.95. I greased it, tested it, and put it away. I haven't had occasion to use it "for real."

71GLfnmPXbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I want one, but I'm not a regular wincher so old school will work for now. I have the capacity for an unlimited number of items on my want/need list but a finite stash of cash.
Same boat, old school works. I try to find older stuff that was built with more quality control than what seems to be standard today. My brother was able to find this a year or so ago.
1A265991-E836-4729-A325-06596EDEAA04.jpeg
65894E56-7A92-4E0A-8727-7513F073BACE.jpeg
B2B2853B-A795-4BBA-8ECF-4B6D4C70FF86.jpeg