Looking For Opinions On This Frame

Hayden

I have the opportunity to purchase this LJ and I am second guessing how clean the frame looks. It's definitely been patched in 1 spot, but I don't think the rest looks bad for having 176k miles on it. What does everyone else think?

received_434003205918166.jpeg

received_725114702921623.jpeg

received_748249854059087.jpeg

received_813909510235129.jpeg

received_990890605730178.jpeg

received_2473084942879746.jpeg

Where's the patch? If it's the first pic above the LCA then that's normal from Jeep. Other than that it looks pretty good and has obviously been painted. I'd check it out closely to make sure they aren't hiding something. I'd also make sure those rocker guards aren't hiding something as well.

Where's the patch? If it's the first pic above the LCA then that's normal from Jeep. Other than that it looks pretty good and has obviously been painted. I'd check it out closely to make sure they aren't hiding something.

I assumed the the top section in the first pic was a patch. Problem is, it's 400 miles away from me.

Reactions: swtrailboss
I have the opportunity to purchase this LJ and I am second guessing how clean the frame looks. It's definitely been patched in 1 spot, but I don't think the rest looks bad for having 176k miles on it. What does everyone else think?

View attachment 528532
View attachment 528533
View attachment 528534
View attachment 528535
View attachment 528537
View attachment 528538

A lot of the paint makes me skeptical. Mine is very smooth. That paint looks rough. I see the patch too, which also concerns me. 400 miles is a long way to go to look at something you’re skeptical about.

A lot of the paint makes me skeptical. Mine is very smooth. That paint looks rough. I see the patch too, which also concerns me. 400 miles is a long way to go to look at something you’re skeptical about.

Agreed. The paint flaking around the body mounts doesn't inspire too much confidence either.

Second pic from the top...

• Lower bushing on the center body mount is rotted out; wasn't replaced and was just sprayed over.
  • Check out the tub above that body mount and in front of it. Looks like it's bowed...or could be a bad camera angle.
  • In the same area, the paint on that bowed looking part of the tub is either peeling badly or covering something that wasn't cleaned/repaired well if at all.

All of these would make me skeptical.

Lots of fresh paint on that frame and underbody. looks like the skid plate is pretty crusty under that paint layer, Body mount tabs on the frame look crusty as well. hard to tell from the photos but if thats all your given I would suspect theres unpainted ugliness selectively not photographed. looks like you would be alot better off looking at it in person.

looking even more, door hinges are rusty, something weird appears to be going on with the body paint where the warn logo shows in the 3rd photo. im thinking the rail was added to cover up rot. last photo the bottom door hinge pin nut appears to have been seized and broke free. looks like hella spray painted rust on the body component directly above the lower control arm bolt in the first photo.

Im thinking this one is a good attempt at coverup for high dollar.

Second pic from the top...

• Lower bushing on the center body mount is rotted out; wasn't replaced and was just sprayed over.
  • Check out the tub above that body mount and in front of it. Looks like it's bowed...or could be a bad camera angle.
  • In the same area, the paint on that bowed looking part of the tub is either peeling badly or covering something that wasn't cleaned/repaired well if at all.

All of these would make me skeptical.

Lots of fresh paint on that frame and underbody. looks like the skid plate is pretty crusty under that paint layer, Body mount tabs on the frame look crusty as well. hard to tell from the photos but if thats all your given I would suspect theres unpainted ugliness selectively not photographed. looks like you would be alot better off looking at it in person.

looking even more, door hinges are rusty, something weird appears to be going on with the body paint where the warn logo shows in the 3rd photo. im thinking the rail was added to cover up rot. last photo the bottom door hinge pin nut appears to have been seized and broke free. looks like hella spray painted rust on the body component directly above the lower control arm bolt in the first photo.

Im thinking this one is a good attempt at coverup for high dollar.

You really need to see the inside of the frame, I know that not easy from 400 miles away, Maybe someone can get a borescope and look for you. If it were me, I would not trust it without inspection.

I'm pretty much in agreement with all of you. For reference, it's listed at 10k with 176k miles and the interior/rest of the tub are pretty immaculate.

I’d pass on it.
Chances are the inside of the frame is full of rust.
Our boxed frames rust badly from inside out.
Paint job on the outside doesn’t inspire confidence.
Just my .02 cents.

it's certainly painted but that's not necessarily a bad thing, could be a guy that understood TJ/LJ frames and took preventative measures, and as for the paint inside the frame someone mentioned, same thing, the inside may be well 'Eastwooded'...

What I see is pretty straight clean lines on the factory holes with no clear signs of bulging much less straight up rot. When a frame is shot in the ass photos can be great for ruling it out without wasting any time looking at it in person. But in this situation that's not the case, and while photos can rarely be used to 'rule it in' as a slam dunk, they can present a frame that needs a closer look. This one in my estimation is worth seeing in person; it may be a 10 second look as you may bend down to look at one of the holes not shown in the photos and see piles of rust flakes, but perhaps what you'll find is an actual clean solid frame that someone took care of.

Now, whether it's worth an 800 mile round trip to find out, only you can answer that.