Looking for opinions on this home inspection report

I'm from NC, but I mostly grew up in Greenville, SC. Greenville is really nice town, and if I went back I'd want to live in north Greenville county or on the NC side of the border. I'm older so I would prefer close to Brevard, but if I had young kids I would look on the east side of town in the 29615 area code.

If you're looking for mostly warmer weather, I'd look at Charleston over Aiken or Greenville.

Great advice, I'll look at Charleston and possibly Greenville as well (y)

EDIT: Didn't realize Charleston was right there on the coast. My only issue with that is we'll probably get wiped out by a hurricane, whereas if we are inland more, at least we wouldn't take the direct hit.

Reactions: zebra12
I thought you had put a deposit on the second house you found after the first one with a bad inspection? Not only do you have TJ ADD but it appears it is in housing too?:p

Second one fell through as well. At least we got our deposit back.

I don't look at it as ADD. I look at things like this as a sign. The universe tends to unfold as it should, and maybe this is its way of telling us to "keep looking". Either way, we'll see!

Great advice, I'll look at Charleston and possibly Greenville as well (y)

EDIT: Didn't realize Charleston was right there on the coast. My only issue with that is we'll probably get wiped out by a hurricane, whereas if we are inland more, at least we wouldn't take the direct hit.

When I lived in the south, many people thought the west coast would fall into the ocean because of an earthquake. Now that I have lived out west for 23 years, I've learned many folks out here think the coastal regions in the southern states will go away because of a hurricane(s).

When I lived in the south, many people thought the west coast would fall into the ocean because of an earthquake. Now that I have lived out west for 23 years, I've learned many folks out here think the coastal regions in the southern states will go away because of a hurricane(s).

I think you're probably right. The more people I talk to hear and mention SC to them, the more I hear, "How will you deal with the oppressive heat?", "What about all the rednecks and backwards people?" or, "What about the hurricanes you'll have to deal with every year?".

I've never lived on the east coast, so naturally I'm probably overthinking it. However, I was always under the impression that every year I'd be in fear of losing my house and having to hunker down, board up the windows, stock up on supplies, and possibly whether a hurricane or at least a tropical depression.

It is different for everyone, but I worry about hurricanes as much as earthquakes.

It is hot in SC, no doubt. If you lived there it will take you and your family some time to adjust. I really like Oregon because the people are nice, like in the south. Biggest difference is the politics, taxes, and overall cost of living. Is the heat worth the savings? To me yes, to my wife no, but she's from Colorado. So we'll end up in Idaho or Wyoming.

There is a big difference between white trash and rednecks, and there are just as many undesirable folks in Oregon as South Carolina. If you want to do a southern state on the light side (less culture shock) than stick areas at least as big as Greenville. There are lots of transplants in the south, and if you went small and rural to get land you'll need more time to adjust.

Reactions: Chris
It is different for everyone, but I worry about hurricanes as much as earthquakes.

It is hot in SC, no doubt. If you lived there it will take you and your family some time to adjust. I really like Oregon because the people are nice, like in the south. Biggest difference is the politics, taxes, and overall cost of living. Is the heat worth the savings? To me yes, to my wife no, but she's from Colorado. So we'll end up in Idaho or Wyoming.

There is a big difference between white trash and rednecks, and there are just as many undesirable folks in Oregon as South Carolina. If you want to do a southern state on the light side (less culture shock) than stick areas at least as big as Greenville. There are lots of transplants in the south, and if you went small and rural to get land you'll need more time to adjust.

I have always liked the heat. Arizona never bothered me one bit. Yes, it's hot as hell in the summer, but the fall and winter make up for it, as I'm sure is the case in SC, no?

We've both just gotten to the point where we can't deal with the cold, and in addition, we'd really just like a chance of pace. When I started thinking about Arizona after this deal fell through, I got to thinking about how we'd be in another sub-division, asshole to asshole with some neighbor (about 15 feet between homes), and that's when it dawned on me that maybe we should do what she and I had always talked about doing for years and getting a place with a bunch of land. Of course we always thought that was just a dream and that we could never actually afford it, but it appears we can, we just can't be anywhere on the left side of the U.S. (unless we want a lot of land and a run down house).

Being as though I work at home, it opens up a lot of possibilities of living pretty much wherever we want. We rant a place that is rural enough that we aren't in a sub-division, but also within a reasonable driving distance of a city incase we need stuff. Schools of course will play a factor, so we are paying attention to that as well.

Since our house doesn't close until April 7th and we are then going to be living in an apartment until June, I have some time to do the research, talk to people, and really narrow it down.

I lived in Texas for a few years, and I remember people telling me how it was going to be a culture shock (same as when I moved to Arizona). While it was indeed a lot different than it was in Oregon, I don't ever recall being "shocked". I always just thought it was different, but not in a bad way.

Idaho or Wyoming are both nice places. If it wasn't for the cold, that's probably where we would be as well.

My buddy tries to keep convincing me to move to Florida, but I don't think that's ever going to happen :LOL:

I think you're probably right. The more people I talk to hear and mention SC to them, the more I hear, "How will you deal with the oppressive heat?", "What about all the rednecks and backwards people?" or, "What about the hurricanes you'll have to deal with every year?".

I've never lived on the east coast, so naturally I'm probably overthinking it. However, I was always under the impression that every year I'd be in fear of losing my house and having to hunker down, board up the windows, stock up on supplies, and possibly whether a hurricane or at least a tropical depression.
I grew up in Beaufort SC and lived on ladys island. My friends parents growing up we’re all Clemson, CC, and gamecock alums and several were lawyers, dentists, and MDs. Hardly red necks lol. As far as the heat goes it’s really nothing to bat an eye at. You were thinking of going to the desert haha SC is beautiful and you seriously cannot beat the low country. My wife and I will have a home there in the near future.

Reactions: Chris
I have always liked the heat. Arizona never bothered me one bit. Yes, it's hot as hell in the summer, but the fall and winter make up for it, as I'm sure is the case in SC, no?

Fall and Spring are nice, and winter is hit or miss. Mostly good, but the occasional snow and ice.

When I was young (before I ever left the south), I always thought about moving to Orlando, Florida, The summer heat is about the same as Atlanta, but January days are probably 15 degrees warmer in Orlando.

I prefer to live in an area that is not flat, so SC upstate, western NC, and eastern Tennessee all are good with me.

Fall and Spring are nice, and winter is hit or miss. Mostly good, but the occasional snow and ice.

When I was young (before I ever left the south), I always thought about moving to Orlando, Florida, The summer heat is about the same as Atlanta, but January days are probably 15 degrees warmer in Orlando.

I prefer to live in an area that is not flat, so SC upstate, western NC, and eastern Tennessee all are good with me.

I agree, I don't want to live in a place that is entirely flat, which is why where we were looking in Arizona was very close to the hills / mountains (small mountains). So you think upstate SC would be better for that, yes?

Florida is great weather no doubt, I just don't think I could deal with the flatness of it, idiot drivers (although we have lots of them here), and pretty good chance I'd be hit by at least a number of hurricanes in my life.

High desert living is my favorite (i.e. Bend or Flagstaff), but I can't find anything even remotely realistic in that type of setting in terms of price.

I agree, I don't want to live in a place that is entirely flat, which is why where we were looking in Arizona was very close to the hills / mountains (small mountains). So you think upstate SC would be better for that, yes?

I do. The upstate is nice. If you don't venture too far off the I-85 corridor, you'll find there is anything and everything to buy and do between Atlanta and Charlotte.

I like Flagstaff, and that is a place the wife and I will look at when the kids go to college. My kids are dying to leave Oregon and go to the desert southwest. My oldest daughter has zeroed in on Arizona State, and if the youngest follows big sister we'll look to relocate in southern Utah and northern Arizona too.

My wife says Bend sucks for sunshine, but she is comparing Bend to Colorado not Corvallis.

I do. The upstate is nice. If you don't venture too far off the I-85 corridor, you'll find there is anything and everything to buy and do between Atlanta and Charlotte.

I like Flagstaff, and that is a place the wife and I will look at when the kids go to college. My kids are dying to leave Oregon and go to the desert southwest. My oldest daughter has zeroed in on Arizona State, and if the youngest follows big sister we'll look to relocate in southern Utah and northern Arizona too.

My wife says Bend sucks for sunshine, but she is comparing Bend to Colorado not Corvallis.

I'll keep that in mind, not venturing too far off the I-85 corridor.

Flagstaff is gorgeous, but of course it's absurdly expensive. Bend is of course the same way. What I've found is that if you want to stay around 400k or less, you won't get a place with a nice house and acres of land unless it's in the south, or somewhere uninhabitable like parts of upper Michigan or the mid-west.

It simply doesn't exist in the southwest or the west coast without spending 700k or more from what I can tell.

Sunriver is a place I always wanted to live, but you know as well as I do how insanely expensive that is.

I'll keep that in mind, not venturing too far off the I-85 corridor.

Flagstaff is gorgeous, but of course it's absurdly expensive. Bend is of course the same way. What I've found is that if you want to stay around 400k or less, you won't get a place with a nice house and acres of land unless it's in the south, or somewhere uninhabitable like parts of upper Michigan or the mid-west.

It simply doesn't exist in the southwest or the west coast without spending 700k or more from what I can tell.

Sunriver is a place I always wanted to live, but you know as well as I do how insanely expensive that is.
How many acres are you thinking Chris?

How many acres are you thinking Chris?
All the places we are looking at have at least 3 plus acres. Obviously the more the merrier, but the kicker is that the house can't be a shithole.

So many of these homes on large plots of land just look like dumps. The ones that have nicer homes on them are prohibitively expensive (we're trying to stay at 400k or less), unless you look in the mid-west, south, and a few other places.