Looking for opinions on this TJ

maxmccuddy

Alright Wrangler Forum, I am looking to buy my first Jeep Wrangler. I'm looking at a 1998 with the 4.0 liter straight 6. It has 122k miles on it, manual 5 Spd, but it has some issues... It has an leak in the exhaust manifold, the jeep starts in gear which I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Don't think so. It needs a new u-joint. He fixed the transfer case himself. The back tailgate has a hard time opening up because of the hinge. Door Seals are shot and as far as I know, that is it. He's asking 5700. Is this too high or a semi good deal? Thank you!

Post some photos of the Jeep, as well as detailed photos of the frame. That’s what we really need to see in order to tell you if it’s a good deal or not.

Reactions: taylormade73
I went and looked at it today and there was no rust that I could see. Just a ticking noise when we went for the drive. The interior is also bedlined. And even though the tires are stock, when he took sharp turns, the tires rubbed. Not sure if that's normal but these are the only pictures I have.

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

looks pretty good- what was the deal on the T- case?
Rust is always #1 concern. Also dont like the idea of the spray in bed liner-- that covers defects

I couldnt myself own a vehicle that would be like a D,D, with out cruise in it

I don't know what was wrong with the t-case. He bought this jeep at a garage sale because this woman's husband died and he worked on a bunch of vehicles so she was getting rid of a bunch of them and when he got it the transfer case was just bad. Not sure what determines a bad t-case

Tires look a bit wider than stock. Maybe the cause of the rub? If so, stock tires or backspaced rims are the cure. Easy to check. Check the frame carefully for rust. Those few pictures do look nice. All the issues sound like typical maintenance items most likely. When in doubt, bring it for a complete mechanical inspection if you are not confident in your own diagnostic prowess.

Tires look a bit wider than stock. Maybe the cause of the rub? If so, stock tires or backspaced rims are the cure. Easy to check. Check the frame carefully for rust. Those few pictures do look nice. All the issues sound like typical maintenance items most likely. When in doubt, bring it for a complete mechanical inspection if you are not confident in your own diagnostic prowess.
What do you think about the price he's asking? (5700)

What does the frame and underside look like? If it's rusted out, then it's not worth anything at all.

If it's clean and rust free, then it's worth it.

Still, if you didn't inspect that frame thoroughly, you're a fool. The frame is the most important thing to look at, hands down.

Looks reasonable, starting in gear is normal for a Wrangler. You are expected to depress the clutch but when submerged you start in gear with the clutch engaged, something to do with water affecting engagement.

Looks pretty clean. $5700 sounds like top dollar but that is the beauty of Wranglers, they hold value better than anything.

As mentioned, crawl under it and check the frame. Tapping with a ball peen hammer, it should sound the same, front to back.

The tailgate might just need to be adjusted/lifted since worn hinges let it drop.

He fixed the transfer case himself ?????? Frightening, get a proper mechanic to inspect it.

122K miles is nothing, sounds like a TJ which was parked more than it was driven. If it was always parked indoors big plus which explains why it looks so good. An inspection will be the best $100 you ever spent.

How many TJs does he have? Is he just flipping them ? Almost looks like a used car lot. Verify everything he says. This one "looks" very clean, something curbers are real good at.

All stock, no mods, low mileage, clean interior, original seats with no wear, plus, plus, plus. Just verify the mechanical and rust.

Last edited:
Looks reasonable, starting in gear is normal for a Wrangler. You are expected to depress the clutch but when submerged you start in gear with the clutch engaged, something to do with water affecting engagement.

Looks pretty clean. $5700 sounds like top dollar but that is the beauty of Wranglers, they hold value better than anything.

As mentioned, crawl under it and check the frame. Tapping with a ball peen hammer, it should sound the same, front to back.

The tailgate might just need to be adjusted/lifted since worn hinges let it drop.

He fixed the transfer case himself ?????? Frightening, get a proper mechanic to inspect it.

122K miles is nothing, sounds like a TJ which was parked more than it was driven. If it was always parked indoors big plus which explains why it looks so good. An inspection will be the best $100 you ever spent.

How many TJs does he have? Is he just flipping them ? Almost looks like a used car lot. Verify everything he says. This one "looks" very clean, something curbers are real good at.

All stock, no mods, low mileage, clean interior, original seats with no wear, plus, plus, plus. Just verify the mechanical and rust.
Thank you! I appreciate the thorough answer.

5700 could be a screaming deal or total rip off. It depends on the Jeep. There are some mighty fine Jeeps that aren't very photogenic and there are turds that look great from 15 feet away. There are plenty of nice Jeeps that have had some very expensive alternations that make them a total POS to drive. Bring it to someone who knows Jeeps that can lay hands on it. Holding up a picture on a forum is not a very safe bet.

BTW, I just sold my old F250. It actually was nearly perfect and bone stock. While it looks and drives perfectly, the buyer took it to a Ford guy for a check up. I encouraged him to do it, he wanted to buy it on sight alone and said he could tell it was flawless. I wanted him to be certain. I had nothing to hide. The mechanic told him to pay full price quickly or he'd buy it.

Reactions: Fonz54