Looking for opinions on transfer case skid plates

sam53

TJ Enthusiast
Looking at the many transfer case skid plates and more confused the more I read. I have a 2003 Rubicon that I placed a 2.5 OME lift with a JKS lift. I need to raise the case but don't understand how high so as not to get vibrations. Can I use the factory shifter or should I just install a cable shifter. For me the weight factor is not a deciding factor. Seems like if I raise it to high vibration is surely a factor. Thanks for you help and for reading this. I am totally confused.

If they're still in stock, Savvy. High clearance, lightweight, separate crossmember. Though to run it you will need adjustable control arms and double cardan driveshaft.

If all you want is to raise it a small amount, then I believe those with the UFC skid and a low pro transmount are reporting success. Each jeep is different, so whether or not you have vibrations are hard to say

If they're still in stock, Savvy. High clearance, lightweight, separate crossmember. Though to run it you will need adjustable control arms and double cardan driveshaft.

If all you want is to raise it a small amount, then I believe those with the UFC skid and a low pro transmount are reporting success. Each jeep is different, so whether or not you have vibrations are hard to say
X2

Savvy is an end game skid. It'll require the most work but it also won't leave you wanting for more.

Savvy 100%. There is no better skid plate out there IMHO. It's extremely well designed, lightweight, and as @toximus said, it's an end game skid.

If you want to keep stock height, but want a stronger and smoother bottom the Barnes Bolt-On is a good choice:

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-TJ-Bolt-On-Skid-Plate_p_867.html
I had it before going full tummy tuck. Super beefy and slid over rocks with ease.
Agree. Running this one on my Jeep now. Raises the skid just a bit, but is completely smooth on the bottom and is beefy. The leading and trailing edges angle up, and mine just barely clears the automatic transmission pan. I will likely pull mine off and clearance that a bit, but aside from that, it fits well and looks much better than the OEM piece.

Looking at the many transfer case skid plates and more confused the more I read. I have a 2003 Rubicon that I placed a 2.5 OME lift with a JKS lift. I need to raise the case but don't understand how high so as not to get vibrations. Can I use the factory shifter or should I just install a cable shifter. For me the weight factor is not a deciding factor. Seems like if I raise it to high vibration is surely a factor. Thanks for you help and for reading this. I am totally confused.
Well, you’ll need rear upper and lower control arms, a new rear driveshaft, a body and motor mount lift, a cable shifter and the skid to raise your transfer case. About $2200. A tummy tuck is no joke. Can’t say you will have vibes or not. You have to be willing to take that risk

Reactions: KCsTJ
I went with the UCF "No Body Lift" skid. Almost 2" more clearance, got rid of the shovel, nice smooth belly, no CA adjustments, no vibes, no exhaust mods, and no rabbit holes. It works great for my needs.

Ps. Having an LJ helps.
20200122_143209.jpg

Last edited:
I went with the UCF "No Body Lift" skid. Almost 2" more clearance, got rid of the shovel, nice smooth belly, no CA adjustments, no vibes, no exhaust mods, and no rabbit holes. It works great for my needs.

Ps. Having an LJ helps.
View attachment 136219
I have the same one on my TJ.
C47BD024-328A-49B1-BEB4-E8EC974DBB5F.jpeg

Yours looks great. It really was an easy install. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of it. Engine/tranny skid is next on the list.
you'll be happy with it too. You might consider the Stahlbus oil drain valve to make it easier to do oil changes

Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve Plug 1/2 inches-20UNFx12mm Steel 1/2" 20UNF x 12mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AMXATDC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

9C0E6CE0-02C0-423A-B22C-1B5F344BF501.jpeg
EEBD6A3C-F711-4C0D-B3B7-1C788B1D6A97.jpeg
ADF881A0-3417-47A2-89D0-7FA7164CF32C.jpeg

I did have to clearance around the exhaust a little
9A948615-A2A2-48CC-97D5-DA42BFFFA930.jpeg

Reactions: DrDmoney
Extra clearance UCF TC aluminum skid and engine skid. Gives me a moderate tummy tuck. So far pleased with it. Running a SYE, BL, MML, rear upper adj CAs, rear DS, adj rear track bar and relocation bracket, and a TC cable shifter.

EC0DCE82-6E47-4AEC-81AC-8DBC2C1B8F47.jpeg

1C0B2ABE-8F7F-4BEE-A7E2-DD5BDA1046B9.jpeg

A2CF4278-9B4E-4B99-AB9A-B8A46BBB7B10.jpeg

Reactions: jazngab and JMT
Wow, looks great. I did the MML, body lift and Savvy shift cable at the same time too. Very slick, indeed!
Thanks. If one uses the UCF LoPro transmission mount then they could gain more clearance with the ultra clearance UCF skid. I really like that the Savvy skid is separate from the crossmember but for the money, UCF offers 3 TC skids. Barnes one is a good one too. If I didn’t go tuck, I would do the Barnes skid. During Black Friday they’re we’re ridiculously cheap.

Reactions: DuncLJ