Looking for recommendation on best hood latch

EBW

Supporting Member
As title states.

I just drove through a 40+ mph sustained wind storm and had a "pray to the Jeep gods" moment that the hood didn't fly up.

Looking at what those that have upgraded their hood latches went to and how happy they are.

Thanks

I hit an 80 mph wind every time I get on the freeway. I did replace the rubber pieces in the OEM latch with the poly ones from Daystar when my hood got chopped. Works well for $20.

Reactions: Elliott and EBW
No, it's not really a problem. We've probably all clenched our buttholes a time or two when a semi whips by on a windy day, but I don't recall hearing of the oem hood latches breaking. It's one more thing for Daystar to cut out of a hunk of polyurethane and sell to us.

Sure, I'd install them if they were free or if mine broke. Until then I don't see any reason.

Over the course of my life I've had two hoods fly up. One was my own stupidity, the other I don't quite recall, neither was a Jeep.

I just make sure whatever has the hood open ends up with the hood closed again before I drive.

I’m going to try to tighten up my driver side Cj latch. It feels tight but I’ve noticed some flutter recently. The driver side would naturally be the side that would want to move around due to the extra air generated by big oncoming traffic.

Am I the only one who has never, ever, ever had any issues with the hood on all of the Jeep Wranglers I've owned (which includes both TJs and a JK)?

I've driven them all at 70+ for long highway trips and never had a single issue.

I'm interested in a solid locking option.
1960s style hood pins from any hotrod shop

IMG_0002.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BoundlessBasu
Have you had it flutter at you? I think the flutter is scaring people.

Nope, never had it flutter either.

It must be the flutter that's scaring people, but I have yet to hear of a single Jeep Wrangler that's had it's hood come up at high speeds due to hood latches.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that people are looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Am I the only one who has never, ever, ever had any issues with the hood on all of the Jeep Wranglers I've owned (which includes both TJs and a JK)?

I've driven them all at 70+ for long highway trips and never had a single issue.
same, and with the AEV Highline, the latches lie down flatter with less resistance than stock. Thru Chugwater Wyoming the wind was 80mph and not an issue.

Flutter is a constant with the Highline.

Reactions: Chris
The only Jeep hood I've ever heard a reliable report of flying up was a buddy's CJ3B that he forgot to latch.

My Jeep came with an expensive and fancy metal contraption the PO installed. It was pretty. And it did a poor job of securing the hood. I bought a stock set. Problem solved.

Reactions: Long Rider
My hunting bud had a 1970ish Toyota Land Cruiser that he failed to secure the hood on. He didn’t break the windshield but he put a nice crease in his hood.

I forgot to replace the hood latch when changing out a radiator on a 1956 Chevy Cameo truck. Immediately went out to put it thru it's paces. And my hood flew up and wrapped around the cab at about 45 mph. Needless to say I use hood latches EVERYTIME.

My Jeep came with the upgraded security locks. And man what a dangerous hassle. If you ever had an engine fire. You'd never get to it. Not to mention they were a HUGe hassle to open and close. I replaced them with stock rubber. And deal with the occasional hood flutter. Between the rubber and the hood latch - your hoods not going anywhere.

There isn't a better substitute in my humble opinion. Which is the bottom line. If there was we'd all be crowing about it. ;)

Reactions: EBW