Looking for recommendation on best hood latch

Am I the only one who has never, ever, ever had any issues with the hood on all of the Jeep Wranglers I've owned (which includes both TJs and a JK)?

I've driven them all at 70+ for long highway trips and never had a single issue.
Exactly . I've never seen my hood move even slightly , and I run 65-70 all the time , or at least some times according to Officer Edwards of the Huntsville Police Department.

Exactly . I've never seen my hood move even slightly , and I run 65-70 all the time , or at least some times according to Officer Edwards of the Huntsville Police Department.

Mine move regularly. If I come up on the overpass going home and the ocean wind hits me. THe hood pops up and down at about 70. But again, that's with a strong head wind.

Reactions: jeepins
Mine move regularly. If I come up on the overpass going home and the ocean wind hits me. THe hood pops up and down at about 70. But again, that's with a strong head wind.
Is there no adjustment in them?

Must be a jeep specific issue and not on every jeep. I have had mine at 70 mph many times and my hood stays put.

The Wrangler may be more prone to it with the way the hood is latched, but I've had hood flutter with many different cars and trucks. If the stops and latch aren't adjusted just right, or you're missing some of them, you get flutter.

I replaced my front fenders about 3 years ago. I couldn't reuse my original hood latches so I replaced them with a set of Omix-ADA rubber latches that were similar to the stock ones. About a year later one broke at highway speed while I was on day one of a camping trip. The hood lifted on the right side and fluttered so I used a small ratchet strap to keep it down. I replaced them with a set of Rugged Ridge latches and they've been great.

18-07-16 17.JPG

Reactions: EBW
Sometimes people freak out a bit if they see the hood flutter in a strong headwind on the highway. You can just replace the rubber in the latches with poly (or new rubber) to tighten them up again. And if you're really worried just make sure your hood latch is working properly. That catch is what it was designed for.

Have had hood fly up once in a Cj-7 and smash through the fiberglass winshield frame and almost hit me and passenger. Around 45 mph. I think the pass latch somehow got loose. There was tremendous hood flutter for about 2 sec. before the hood latch let go.
Had severe hood flutter on a buddy's 70's Chevy Pickup. He said it was like that for years. Just adjusted his hood bumpstops and cured its flutter.
Just because you don't have a specific issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Have had hood fly up once in a Cj-7 and smash through the fiberglass winshield frame and almost hit me and passenger. Around 45 mph. I think the pass latch somehow got loose. There was tremendous hood flutter for about 2 sec. before the hood latch let go.
Had severe hood flutter on a buddy's 70's Chevy Pickup. He said it was like that for years. Just adjusted his hood bumpstops and cured its flutter.
Just because you don't have a specific issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I thought it only happened to JK's! 😊

FJWIMG_0775.jpg

Good input by all.

just to clarify, I also drive 70+ on the freeway with no major issues in Normal Conditions. Yesterday was different. It was super windy and I even checked the Weather station that reported the area I was driving had gusts up to 70mph.

That was my head wind. :oops::oops:

The hood fluttered badly as I was barely driving 55 and it was a concern of mine if the latches failed what my reaction would be on the freeway. Its just times like that when a person starts asking to themselves if there are any upgrades that could give peace of mind.

Thanks for all that posted here.

Reactions: Ericict
Experienced bad flutter on my 2016 JK on the highway in a storm as I hit gusts of wind. Fixed issue with Daystar poly latch replacements.

Never had an issue on the TJ, so will leave stock.

As always, this site is timely in its discussions. Hood Flutter is an issue for us in Kansas when on the HW. That is the only part of the drive that wears me out. High winds or a semi passing you on a 2 lane. Very un-nerving. Ive checked the hood isolators in the past and will check them again prior to doing something different. The day star units look ok but keep thinking the OEM have lasted 17 years with no issue other than fading and oxidation.

Reactions: Sam Solo
As title states.

I just drove through a 40+ mph sustained wind storm and had a "pray to the Jeep gods" moment that the hood didn't fly up.

Looking at what those that have upgraded their hood latches went to and how happy they are.

Thanks
I busted one of the original latches when I was replacing my drivers side fender. Bought the Kentrol stainless latches. I like them have not experienced any hood rattle or looseness.

Reactions: EBW and Ericict
These were actually the first thing i did to my Jeep, really didnt like the hood flutter and threw on some daystar hood latches. Its been over 2 years and i havent seen it flutter once even up to 80mph. Id recommend the daystars as they keep the factory look and end the hood flutter although they do make it a little tougher to latch the hood.

I busted one of the original latches when I was replacing my drivers side fender. Bought the Kentrol stainless latches. I like them have not experienced any hood rattle or looseness.

Just swapped mine out with the SS latches and for the first time I experience a solid feel when latching. The metal pivot arms are a huge difference.