Looking for recommendations for a floor coating or liner

Jerry Bransford

Too many arguments and personal attacks, I'm done.
Supporting Member
While cleaning the mud off the TJ, I noticed some minor rust on the floor from where it got wet inside a few times. And with the carpeting, rear tool box, and passenger seat out for cleaning purposes, I figure now'd be a good time to take the driver's seat out too and spray some kind of an inexpensive floor liner or treatment onto the floor.

Not looking for anything other than what I can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's in the rattle can section. Maybe an online Amazon.com kit if it's inexpensive and aerosol/rattle can based. Something better than Rustoleum paint, not as expensive as Rhino Liner... kinda similar though.

Your thoughts will be appreciated, I need to get it done within the next week or two due to a wheeling trip coming up mid-April. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Are you uninterested in all Rustoleum, or just the base paints? I finished my rear bumper with their bed liner rattle can and am so far really pleased with it (granted only a few weeks in). I’m considering using it on my tub as well.

Reactions: Mikester86
Are you uninterested in all Rustoleum, or just the base paints? I finished my rear bumper with their bed liner rattle can and am so far really pleased with it (granted only a few weeks in). I’m considering using it on my tub as well.

View attachment 85336View attachment 85337
I can see the rattle can being a good option for a bumper, but I am thinking of the brush/roll option for the floor boards. Just more control and no need to tape or mask.

View attachment 85336View attachment 85337

I should share that I did use Hurculiner in my 1969 Commando. While it may have been a prep issue (I was less experienced then) it would come off in little rubberized sheets and had a different feel than the rustoleum finish (which doesn’t feel rubbery).

I can see the rattle can being a good option for a bumper, but I am thinking of the brush/roll option for the floor boards. Just more control and no need to tape or mask.

That’s definitely a good point, the product in both forms is probably pretty good and which sounds to be use case dependent :)

I plan to redo my rockers and front with the rattle, but you’re right to do the tub with the paintable cans.

Reactions: Mikester86
There won't be anything left inside so I don't think much more will be needed than plugging the bolt holes with paper towels. I might mask off the door openings & tape over a few things but I'm liking the spraying thought. I'll have the center console out too.

I'm thinking the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating would be good on my Savvy rocker guards too. They've seen some recent additional abuse lol.

This does not meet your criteria at all but here it is anyway. I used Monstaliner in the tub of my LJ and am very happy with the durability of it. It is not a real quick process, but can be done in one (albeit long) day. The problem I have with spray in stuff (rattle can variety) is it will wear off fairly quickly from grit and whatnot abrading through it's relatively light coating. I have had pretty good success with Rustoleums brush on industrial paint (available at Home Depot). and the "safety red" is a close match to my stock red.......

I used the roll on Rustoleum in my CJ5 years ago. My sister and brother in law own the Jeep and the floor liner has held up very well. Prep is important.

Reactions: rasband
There won't be anything inside so I don't think much more than plugging the bolt holes with paper towels would be needed. I might mask off the door openings & tape over a few things but I'm liking the spraying thought. I'll have the center console out too.

I'm thinking the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating would be good on my Savvy rocker guards too. They've seen some recent additional abuse lol.
I have been going back and forth on this myself, but have settled on the brush/roll on option.

Did you decide on the spray or paint version? I’ll be excited to read the results, whichever you decided as I plan mine.
I went with the the easier aerosol spray can suggestion. It will be fine for my non-pristine Rubicon which is a trail Jeep not a show Jeep.

Reactions: rasband
if you ordered the aerosol I hope it works out for you. I have painted a few things with it and found that you really have to shake the hell out of it, and often. It doesn't much like to spray unless the can is quite upright.

It worked good for my Barnes belly up skid plate (which I had hung from a couple of sawhorses), but when I was trying to line the inside of my fender wells it didn't work out so well.

Ive used both the aerosol and roll on bedliner products and hands down the roll on is the way to go for something as large as a tub.

I used the spray rustoleum bed liner on my new fenders.The tj was black already .I also used it after I put in my new floor pans and it seems to be holding up well.I used 3 light coats and let it sit up for an hr. between and the fenders came out great.The floors have stood up well also after a year.Can get it at walmart up here in Canada.

While cleaning the mud off the TJ, I noticed some minor rust on the floor from where it got wet inside a few times. And with the carpeting, rear tool box, and passenger seat out for cleaning purposes, I figure now'd be a good time to take the driver's seat out too and spray some kind of an inexpensive floor liner or treatment onto the floor.

Not looking for anything other than what I can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's in the rattle can section. Maybe an online Amazon.com kit if it's inexpensive and aerosol/rattle can based. Something better than Rustoleum paint, not as expensive as Rhino Liner... kinda similar though.

Your thoughts will be appreciated, I need to get it done within the next week or two due to a wheeling trip coming up mid-April. Thanks!
You should really check out @JamesAndTheSahara build thread on here. He did his in a weekend and it came out looking amazing. The product he used came in spray cans I believe.

It came out looking really nice. He did it in his apartment’s parking lot. He did a whole write up in his thread with lots of pictures and details.
9BAFDEA9-5A64-4245-9645-F1096BB873BE.jpeg
4EC0E506-5ABB-4ADD-A726-9E8AB9196976.jpeg