Looking for some good metal music

I don’t think I’ve seen tool in this thread, but they’re pretty solid.

Others I’ve liked over the years (some more screaming than traditional metal though):

* Norma Jean (until the lead guy left)
* Underoath (a little more screamo)
* Fear Before The March of Flames
* The Chariot (the good Norma Jean guys went here)
* Thursday
* Thrice
* Every Time I Die
* BTBAM (between the buried and me)
* He Is Legend
* MeWithoutYou (this is the same time period, but not “metal” - just solid music and lyrics)

This makes me feel old!
Better get a cassette player, or even 8 track, in my TJ so I can play AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Guns 'n Roses etc. properly, well, as it was in the '70's.
Will take a look at the "new" stuff as suggested. (y)
NEVER "Too old to Rock and Roll" ALWAYS "Too young to die".

Last edited:
@RINC good old classics ya posted there. Testing the OP, Im guessing 😂

I like the direction that a lot of the modern metal bands have taken. 2 examples of heavier options are:
1- Fit For an Autopsy
2- Gojira

Both have been around quite a while now but reaching the pinnacles of success. Both bands compliment the other, in terms of sound.

So many bands coming up every year. You just have to be open minded and not stay stuck in the late 80’s or 90’s. I see a lot of my peers get caught. Life is too short to limit your experiences with music.

@02SteelBlue -both the bands I suggest have great drummers. No doubt about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sj's TJ and RINC
Check this new band from Boston.
Blood for Blood isn't new by any means. I saw them play twice in Boston in '98 and then in Portland Maine in '01 or '02. Their shows were the wildest, most brutal events I've ever witnessed. Rumor has it that the band were/are members of a local Boston gang FSU. The show in Portland got so out of control the police showed up in full riot gear. There is footage of that show in this Gangland episode.

Blood for Blood isn't new by any means. I saw them play twice in Boston in '98 and then in Portland Maine in '01 or '02. Their shows were the wildest, most brutal events I've ever witnessed. Rumor has it that the band were/are members of a local Boston gang FSU. The show in Portland got so out of control the police showed up in full riot gear. There is footage of that show in this Gangland episode.

My posts were tongue in cheek for the OP's "new" comment. Maybe turn the kiddies onto some good music.

The problem, in my opinion, is that no good new music is played on the radio anymore. Just the same old shit over and over. So how do you get to know what good new bands are coming out?

Where are the new Slayers and Iron Maiden’s and Panteras? And the list goes on.

If I hear stairway to heaven one more time I’m gonna shoot my radio!

The problem, in my opinion, is that no good new music is played on the radio anymore. Just the same old shit over and over. So how do you get to know what good new bands are coming out?

Where are the new Slayers and Iron Maiden’s and Panteras? And the list goes on.

If I hear stairway to heaven one more time I’m gonna shoot my radio!
Radio is dead. Streaming. It’s the way of the world now. And I think a lot of people 35 and up may be missing that source.

I used to buy CD’s so for me, I don’t mind paying monthly for my music. Spotify, for example. You can find old and new music on the platform. Including independent artists that have no label support and are totally DIY. You can still utilize Spotify free. You’d be subjected to adds limited access full albums. Still, better than radio. Period. I find it worth the money. Not a day goes by that I don’t use streaming.

Youtube is good for finding new bands, plenty of content creators that make videos about that kind of thing. Or just search for "new/best metal bands" and go nuts.

For daily listening I use streaming, and when I buy an album it's usually on vinyl.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to have to pay to listen to music.

I’ve watched bands on YouTube, but I can’t YouTube in my car.

And for those who’l say you can stream in your car, see my first comment.

I’ve played in bands all my life and it’s just gotten more and more expensive to get your music out to the public.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to have to pay to listen to music.

I’ve watched bands on YouTube, but I can’t YouTube in my car.

And for those who’l say you can stream in your car, see my first comment.

I’ve played in bands all my life and it’s just gotten more and more expensive to get your music out to the public.

So.... am I following correctly? You're a musician that says it's more expensive to get your music out there while not wanting to pay for others music?

Maybe I misunderstood but that's what my take-away is.

• Haha
Reactions: Kid Mechanic
@modocguy

Actually, if I understood your post correctly, it’s the opposite. I’ve been playing music my whole life as well and it’s been way easier to record and release material and market it to the public. So much easier than back in the pre digital age. Digital distribution costs a hell of a lot less than pressing CD’s or vinyl. Waaaay less. And yes, you can listen to streaming for free. You just need to download one of the apps ei. (They cost nothing) Spotify, Amazon music, Pandora, etc, sign up, and start using the account. You have a ‘free’ option or the pay for. This is where your AUX jack comes in handy on your TJ. Buy an auxiliary cable and play your phone through the Jeep’s radio. In the case your radio doesn’t have an aux jack, rock headphones. Who cares.......just listen to some jams.

BTW, the @Rooscooter posed a good question; you’re a musician but don’t want to support other artists?

@RINC good old classics ya posted there. Testing the OP, Im guessing 😂

I like the direction that a lot of the modern metal bands have taken. 2 examples of heavier options are:
1- Fit For an Autopsy
2- Gojira

Both have been around quite a while now but reaching the pinnacles of success. Both bands compliment the other, in terms of sound.

So many bands coming up every year. You just have to be open minded and not stay stuck in the late 80’s or 90’s. I see a lot of my peers get caught. Life is too short to limit your experiences with music.

@02SteelBlue -both the bands I suggest have great drummers. No doubt about it.
I guess "new" implies a lot that I didnt mean to imply.

I like older metal, and was looking for bands that were similar in style to my preferences.

"New to me" would have been better wording!

Radio is dead. Streaming. It’s the way of the world now. And I think a lot of people 35 and up may be missing that source.

I used to buy CD’s so for me, I don’t mind paying monthly for my music. Spotify, for example. You can find old and new music on the platform. Including independent artists that have no label support and are totally DIY. You can still utilize Spotify free. You’d be subjected to adds limited access full albums. Still, better than radio. Period. I find it worth the money. Not a day goes by that I don’t use streaming.
I'm a spotify guy. That's where all my music is.

With the exceptions of Pantera, Sevendust, and Metallica (And Justice for All), there aren't many bands where I like a majority of their songs. So I have 2 or 3 songs from 20 different bands.

I'm a spotify guy. That's where all my music is.

With the exceptions of Pantera, Sevendust, and Metallica (And Justice for All), there aren't many bands where I like a majority of their songs. So I have 2 or 3 songs from 20 different bands.
My suggestion; keep on searching for new music. There’s plenty of it out there. More than both you and I combined know of.

I used to be a SLAYER / DEATH / EXODUS snob but I broke out of that shell decades ago. Pantera live and the writing of Metallic is hard to beat, but I found there’s a shit ton of bands and killer albums carrying the torch for the prev gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 02SteelBlue