Looking for some good metal music

So.... am I following correctly? You're a musician that says it's more expensive to get your music out there while not wanting to pay for others music?

Maybe I misunderstood but that's what my take-away is.
Most artists make money from royalties and revenue from live shows. That’s pretty much how it’s been since I’ve been playing and recording.

Studio costs aren’t much cheaper than they ever were.

DIY bands still need to buy the equipment needed to record and mix, which isn’t cheap.

I went from 1/2” 8 track Tascam, to 12 track digital over the years in my home studio and believe me it ain’t cheap.

And if you’re gonna put your stuff on YouTube, you’ll need all the video stuff too.

We’ve posted stuff on MySpace and YouTube in the past, we never got much from it, but it was a long time ago and things change.

So, it’s different today than in the 70’s but still not cheap or easy.

And I don’t know how bands make money from streaming, but I know the company’s involved do. Kinda like the bulk of the money from record, CD and Video sales go to the company that produces a distributes it, not the band.

Typically, an artist used to make 1 or 2 percent per unit of sales, and that was a good deal for most bands.

And I do support the artists, I go to their shows and buy their music because that’s how they traditionally make their money.

So maybe I’m uneducated about wether or not a band makes money from streaming, but knowing the industry, I doubt they make much, if any.

Most artists make money from royalties and revenue from live shows. That’s pretty much how it’s been since I’ve been playing and recording.

Studio costs aren’t much cheaper than they ever were.

DIY bands still need to buy the equipment needed to record and mix, which isn’t cheap.

I went from 1/2” 8 track Tascam, to 12 track digital over the years in my home studio and believe me it ain’t cheap.

And if you’re gonna put your stuff on YouTube, you’ll need all the video stuff too.

We’ve posted stuff on MySpace and YouTube in the past, we never got much from it, but it was a long time ago and things change.

So, it’s different today than in the 70’s but still not cheap or easy.

And I don’t know how bands make money from streaming, but I know the company’s involved do. Kinda like the bulk of the money from record, CD and Video sales go to the company that produces a distributes it, not the band.

Typically, an artist used to make 1 or 2 percent per unit of sales, and that was a good deal for most bands.

And I do support the artists, I go to their shows and buy their music because that’s how they traditionally make their money.

So maybe I’m uneducated about wether or not a band makes money from streaming, but knowing the industry, I doubt they make much, if any.
Thanks.... that makes your response make sense.

Back in the day I put a lot of effort into trying to do this.... what I found out after a while was there was a talent gap and I gave it up for a real gig.

More power to those who have made the dream live.

As for streaming I believe that it was "indie" at one time but I'm sure it's become a corporate avenue for revenue now. I'm sure they make something however. I was reading an interview with one of the leaders of the old band Styx that outlined that they are making some good money still with their dated catalog on streaming. Surprisingly they are still selling full album sets at a fairly high clip on iTunes as well. Interesting how the industry has changed. One particular part of the interview outlined how they made big money off of selling out 25K seats for $15-$25 each and now they can make similar money selling 5 to 7k for $175 to $300 a seat. Not particularly one of my favorites from back in the day but interesting to see that that they can turn that catalog into serious money given the 40+ Years since their hey-day.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Streaming is pretty profitable because there's very little overhead. One of my friends is into video streaming. He runs several channels on Roku, and other devices. Lots of old movies and TV shows. He does this from his bedroom and has zero employees.

Now how much the artist sees, who knows. Depends on their contract with the label and/or streaming service. But these days that's very optional. Plenty of artists in recent years have gone totally self published. No label deals, no contracts, they own 100% of their brand and music.

@RINC good old classics ya posted there. Testing the OP, Im guessing 😂

I like the direction that a lot of the modern metal bands have taken. 2 examples of heavier options are:
1- Fit For an Autopsy
2- Gojira

Both have been around quite a while now but reaching the pinnacles of success. Both bands compliment the other, in terms of sound.

So many bands coming up every year. You just have to be open minded and not stay stuck in the late 80’s or 90’s. I see a lot of my peers get caught. Life is too short to limit your experiences with music.

@02SteelBlue -both the bands I suggest have great drummers. No doubt about it.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm on Gojira now, and you're 100% right, great drummer.

Check this new band from Boston.

And just heard about this band last week
Blood for Blood is awesome. I played gigs with them a few times. Main singer got locked up a few years ago and the main songwriter (guitar player) went on to do Ramallah. Minor Threat....yo they are way old (but awesome, pioneers of DC HC, came up during the Black Flag/Bad Brains/Circle Jerks/Fear era of Punk/HC). Ian McKay (singer) been doing Fugazi for a long time.

two great choices there. (Sorry for rambling)

Reactions: RINC
Blood for Blood isn't new by any means. I saw them play twice in Boston in '98 and then in Portland Maine in '01 or '02. Their shows were the wildest, most brutal events I've ever witnessed. Rumor has it that the band were/are members of a local Boston gang FSU. The show in Portland got so out of control the police showed up in full riot gear. There is footage of that show in this Gangland episode.
Only 1 was ever FSU. :)

Not sure how extreme you’d want to go but......the newest Merciless Concept is really great. (Death Metal) The last No Reason To Live is fantastic (more metal here-great riffs) If you dig “stoner rock like Clutch or COC a new band called Right Hand Removed has a new EP out and a new band making waves now is Code Orange (Industrial/Metal/Slipknot -esque).

Disclosure, I have buddies in each band so admittedly I’m kinda promoting here but I think maybe you’d find something in any of em.

Ive been digging Unleash the Archers lately, a Canadian metal band. Not sure of your general taste in music but they do a cover of Canada's second national anthem, Northwest Passage that I think would make Stan Rogers pretty darn proud. She also does a really good job with her vocal techniques too.

A couple others I have on my playlist; White Zombie (and Rob), System of a Down, Korn, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson (maybe not metal) and Disturbed

Last edited:
If you dig “stoner rock like Clutch or COC
Man, I love Clutch!! Seen them live a couple of times wayyy back in 99 or 2000. They are still in my rotation to this day.

Others from then I like...
Dry Kill Logic
Static X
Mudvayne
Slipknot of course
Fear Factory
Coal Chamber

Anyway, I’ll shut up.

Reactions: SouthernLJ
Man, I love Clutch!! Seen them live a couple of times wayyy back in 99 or 2000. They are still in my rotation to this day.

Dry Kill Logic
Static X
Mudvayne
Slipknot of course
Fear Factory
Coal Chamber

Anyway, I’ll shut up.
I love mudvayne...4 of the most talented guys in music together was a treat for us metalheads..I tried to give hellyah a chance but its just not my cup of tea. Ryan Martinie is right up there with Les Claypool as my favorite bass players

Reactions: 1o1proof

Dry Kill Logic
Static X
Mudvayne
Slipknot of course
Fear Factory
Coal Chamber

Anyway, I’ll shut up.
One more thing then ill shut up..Wayne Static was an early bronco nut and loved off roading. I remember a few people from the old pirate had wheeled with him

One more thing then ill shut up..Wayne Static was an early bronco nut and loved off roading. I remember a few people from the old pirate had wheeled with him
Fact. I remember watching vids of them out wheeling and thinking, what a life. They say the tribute band is well worth the price of admission. If concerts ever come back I would like to see them.

Reactions: P man
Surprised to see so many ‘metal’ heads or ‘hardcore’ fans on the forum. A pleasant surprise, no doubt.

Code Orange are fantastic. I remember seeing them back when they were Code Orange ‘Kids’. They, to me, are a band of musicians that spawned from the HC scene but don’t limit themselves to one sound or one scene. Without a doubt talented artists.

I'm an old grunge fanatic, Alice in Chains, STP, Sound Garden, Pearl Jam.

But I love me some old school metal

Slayer
Testament
Seplutura
Pantera
Anthrax
Venom
Suicidal Tendancies

New metal like

Mudvayne
Static X
Slipnot