Looking for some good metal music

can't believe this thread went 44 posts without mentioning Trivium.

I grew up on Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath...never did get into the growling/screaming stuff. I like the guitar, bass and drum work I hear in metal, but I like a singer, so I don't listen to a whole lot of modern metal bands outside of a few select albums like Trivium's Silence in the Snow. I enjoy Killswitch Engage when they sing (awesome cover of Holy Diver), but again...they scream too much. A7X even wears on me after a bit but at least the vocals have a melody and discernible lyrics. I really enjoy their Nightmare album.

I have grown to appreciate some of the harsh vocals, but it just depends on the band. In general I'd agree with you that I want mostly clean vocals though.

So, have you ever listened to Nightwish? Symphonic metal and their current singer (Floor Jansen) is amazing. One of the few bands out there that sound better live than their albums do.

This is one of their more mainstream songs. If you're at all into it, check out the entire Wacken 2013 show (it's on Youtube), it was probably their finest hour. Shortly after Floor joined the band.

Reactions: Matt888
None of these are new but are worth checking out

Trivium
As I lay Dying
Killswitch engage
All that remains
In Flames

Black Label Society is a consistently good band. I got to see them live for the first time shortly before the pandemic and was impressed. This is from their upcoming album:

None of these are new but are worth checking out

Trivium
As I lay Dying
Killswitch engage
All that remains
In Flames
You may recognize some of these then 🤘🏻

BB21830C-D0D0-4242-9B0C-E594BA36ECE1.png

3856394C-364C-48B7-916F-01EE88315A25.jpeg

013FD0BF-0618-4390-9FF0-827263CE6751.jpeg

34801875-D47C-480B-9259-3A8478B64BFB.png

took my son to a concert at Ybor City, he met Corpse Grinder from Cannibal Corpse, Kyle from Vitriol and the base player, we had a blast, what a great group of guys And killer concert venue.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I'll throw Jinjer out there. I don't think they've been mentioned yet.

It's funny, Clutch's progression from grindcore to whatever the fuck you want to call them now (dirty blues??) kind of matches some of my own leanings/broadenings in music. I still like metal, but can appreciate a lot of other things that I overlooked when I was younger and "all-metal".

Check out the Metal Covers on Spotify, some very cool stuff hiding in there.

Go ahead and jump into the O'Keefe rabbit hole, great things in there too.

Reactions: RINC and Matt888
Any newish metal bands worth checking out? Maybe some on the horizon to look out for?

Bonus points for any group with a bad ass drummer.
Not yet mentioned: Boris, Kowloon Walled City, Pelican (might have been mentioned), Mastadon (just dropped a new album), 12 Foot Ninja, Isis, Kylesa, Municipal Waste, Them Crooked Vultures (not strictly "metal).

Leo is a one-man metal cover band from Norway.
His cover of Toto's Africa was the first thing I ever saw from him... Amazeballs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

His cover of Toto's Africa was the first thing I ever saw from him... Amazeballs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That is siiiiick! Love the OG song but this is next level. Thanks for posting. ✌️