Looking for sources for manual transmission for 2012 Jeep Compass

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
Wife has a 12' Compass and the trans took a dump this week so it looks like I have to find a replacement. looking for any sources on a manual trans for a 2.4 L manual trans with 4WD. Any info would be appreciated.

Unfortunately it's out of the base and extended warranty even after it was re-built twice on their dime, time to look for something else.

Used or new? You could get a used one here all day long:
http://car-part.com

As for refurbished, have you checked eBay? You could also call LKQ. Usually they sell them refurbished.

Used or new? You could get a used one here all day long:
http://car-part.com

As for refurbished, have you checked eBay? You could also call LKQ. Usually they sell them refurbished.

Waiting on responses from Car-part.com and several others.

Been searching the yards and ebay for used or re-built, unfortunately her need for a standard trans has made this a bit more difficult then usual as the AT's and CVT's are very common from the factory but not so much the MT's. Gonna keep looking.

Reactions: Chris
Well it appears that the 5 Speed MT with 4WD is a bit on the rare side considering that 99.9% of the Compass's were delivered with AT's and the prices reflect that. Best price so far is 3K for a salvage trans, so it looks like I'm gonna have to pull the trans and send it out for a re-build. Just for giggles and shitz I looked up a price on my AX5 and they are going for about $800 delivered for a re-built.

What a PITA it is dealing with the traverse system in her Compass, been working thru it with the Official Jeep FSM and it's worse than Chiltons. They do a reasonable job pointing out each basic step of the process until removing the CV shafts from the trans side, when they refer a detail that only covers 2WD vehicles and it's 4WD and very different. (thank you U-Tube for the help).

The kicker is I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the transmission with the driveshaft still attached because nowhere in that book does it say to disconnect it.

Pretty sure I'm gonna remove it though LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
Finally managed to get the trans out yesterday, spun the input shaft by hand and was wondering if there is a market for used marbles as it's full of them.

Gonna drop it off for a rebuild tomorrow so I should know what's going on inside in a few days.

Well the trans shop opened it up and had a good laugh after the guts basically just ran out. Whole dam thing is cooked and un-buildable. Just found a re-built one for the bargain basement price of $2,350 and bought it. Unfortunately they are just not out there in the salvage yards as so few were built with the manual trans and what was there was priced over $3,200 for used.

Wow! So the lesson here is don't buy a Jeep Compass with a manual transmission, huh?

It probably would have been cheaper to own an automatic at this point. At least those transmissions are probably readily available, right?

Wow! So the lesson here is don't buy a Jeep Compass with a manual transmission, huh?

It probably would have been cheaper to own an automatic at this point. At least those transmissions are probably readily available, right?

Everything is readily available except the manual trans, unfortunately she is insistent on the manual. This Compass has been trouble since day 1 and will probably be the last Jeep other than a Wrangler that we will buy.

She is shopping for a replacement vehicle and I think it will be the end of the standard trans for her, as she is starting the realize that they are few vehicles that offer it anymore. I told her she can drive my 5 speed or her motorcycle any time.

Reactions: Chris
Everything is readily available except the manual trans, unfortunately she is insistent on the manual. This Compass has been trouble since day 1 and will probably be the last Jeep other than a Wrangler that we will buy.

She is shopping for a replacement vehicle and I think it will be the end of the standard trans for her, as she is starting the realize that they are few vehicles that offer it anymore. I told her she can drive my 5 speed or her motorcycle any time.

Yes, fewer and fewer vehicles have manuals anymore, but I suppose the automatic transmission technology is getting so good, that they aren't bad like they might have been at one point.

Usually it's cheaper to repair or replace a manual transmission, but that tide looks like it may be turning.

I imagine the reason they continue to offer those AX5 and AX15s is that they know a lot more Wranglers were made with manual transmissions. It comes down to a simple game of numbers and money to be made, as it always does.

Well got the new trans in and done, took it for a quick test ride and all was well. Halfway back to the house the oil light came on so I shut it off and coasted back to the garage (thankfully all down hill) Checked the oil which is 4 weeks old and it's good, wanted to pull the pressure sensor and put a gauge on but the dam thing is totally inaccessible so I drop the oil pan to find the oil pump drive chain in the bottom of the pan. WTF !

Anyone want a Jeep Compass cheap ?

@TJ4Jim that sucks man. So the 2nd trans is also toast? Did you do the work yourself or had a shop do it for you?

@TJ4Jim that sucks man. So the 2nd trans is also toast? Did you do the work yourself or had a shop do it for you?

Did all the work in my shop.

New Trans is ok so far but somehow the oil pump drive chain snapped which was weird as I never touched the engine other then bolting up the trans. Just finished replacing the drive chain which meant removing the timing cover and all the accessories.

The only cause I can come up with is that the chain may have bound up when I was rotating the crankshaft by hand while lining up the bolts for the clutch pack.

Trans shop opened up the old trans and the shit just poured out, totally screwed.

After working on my 2.5 wrangler this thing is a nightmare with the traverse setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
Well I finally got the POS done and back on the road, at least now I get my TJ back home and in the garage.