Looking for suggestions on go-fast mods

i want to mod my wrangler to do kinda fast off-roading. it’s got the 4.0, and we swapped out the throttle body so it’s up to about 190hp and 230ftlb. i would love to hit 300hp as a stretch goal, along with other mods like upgrading the cage. the issue is my dad isn’t keen on me spending his money on it. any suggestions for cheap mods, or things i can do myself? (im studying mechanical engineering and can maybe engineer some stuff)
The easiest way to get up to 300hp is to do a 4.6L stroker, supercharger, or turbocharger.

The hardest way is to do an engine swap.

The way your going with throttle bodies and simple engine mods will never get you even close.

Then there's the suspension.

It would be way cheaper to sell the Jeep, get a Razr, and go have fun.

The easiest way to get up to 300hp is to do a 4.6L stroker, supercharger, or turbocharger.

The hardest way is to do an engine swap.

The way your going with throttle bodies and simple engine mods will never get you even close.

Then there's the suspension.

It would be way cheaper to sell the Jeep, get a Razr, and go have fun.
Then be like a guy I know, selling his Razor , to get a TJ , to go have fun.....

Both are a blast, his wife hates the cold, wet razor with limbs slapping her face

Last edited:
Reactions: AMS417
prothane coil spring inserts
08803E03-90BF-4A66-8218-A77007AF2033.jpeg

If your TJ is geared correctly for your tire size, it has enough power to go faster off road than your suspension can handle. So upgrade all the suspension and axles first so that it can take the abuse of you putting the skinny pedal to the floor when off road. Once all that's covered then you start increasing power.

Or sell the Tj and get a razor or bad ass 4 wheeler.

Last edited:
Why is the 1999 4.0 rated at 181 in the TJ but 190 in the XJ?
I believe it is due to the TJ's exhaust. Although it does make you wonder if Jeep under rated it so the premium vehicles could claim higher horsepower. The Grand Cherokee 4.0 was rated at 195.

Last edited:
Want to go fast off-road?
Get a junkyard 6.0 LS and a GT35R single turbo. Swap that into your TJ with a 6R80 and new t-case, and built dana 60s.

OK, now that fantasyland is over.......

Want to go fast off-road?
Get a junkyard 6.0 LS and a GT35R single turbo. Swap that into your TJ with a 6R80 and new t-case, and built dana 60s.

OK, now that fantasyland is over.......
I have a hunch that those is us with well built suspensions under our 4.0's could potentially go faster over rough ground.

I think the OP has “left the building.”
Once they get a dose of reality they usually do. Remember the last guy who installed the throttle body spacer? Never heard from him again after we told him he’d been fooled.

Like I said, people can’t handle the truth sometimes. They want to feel good about the purchase they made, even if it was a complete waste of money.

But you know…bolt on that bigger throttle body and get ready for some serious power 😉😆

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr and JMT
I believe it is due to the TJ's. Although it does make you wonder if Jeep under rated it so the premium vehicles could claim higher horsepower. The Grand Cherokee 4.0 was rated at 195.

Due to the TJ's what?