Looking for suggestions on new brakes for my 97 TJ

@qslim
Quote from @qslim :
After sitting for that long you'll definitely want to flush all the fluid & inspect the calipers & wheel cylinders. I'd recommend starting a different thread just to keep everyone's advice organized & on track.

So yeah, first thing I'd do is get all that old brake fluid out, check the calipers & wheel cylinders, see if there's any signs of leakage, make sure the pistons move smoothly in their bore, take a look at the rotors & drums for rust/pitting etc...

I've gotten some cars & motorcycles back on the road that have been sitting for years without changing anything except the brake fluid, it just depends on the condition. If you want peace of mind changing the hardware certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
My 97 TJ pulls REALLY hard to the driver side when I brake, so I suspect a bad caliper on the front passenger. I still have the original brakes on there, so I was looking at the PowerStop brakes at Summit with either EBC or Black Magic brake pads.

I would LOVE to do the Big Brake upgrade, but with only 33's and moderate to light use, I can't get that past the budget officer. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LennartfromAustria