Looking for suggestions on steps

Kevin Bruce

Never had a Jeep before, we bought a 2005 Wrangler, it is lifted, I am guessing 4"s And I have now learned by the cheap and crappy Rough Country lift kit, Guess I should have read the boards here first (will start by changing the shocks and go from there later) Anyway, I have bad knees and my better half can barely get in it with the regular sidestep. I bought one brand but it was only an inch lower or so.

So my ?? what is a good step that will be about 8"-10" lower than the side of the jeep or lower by 6" -8" than the stock steps? TIA
Newby Kevin N Renee

Welcome aboard! A 10" step is long and will definitely hamper you off road. Maybe look into something custom. Of course your other option is to lower the Jeep to stock height.

Reactions: Kevin Bruce
Welcome aboard! A 10" step is long and will definitely hamper you off road. Maybe look into something custom. Of course your other option is to lower the Jeep to stock height.

Indeed and thanks. I'm guessing without yet measuring the lift kit on it being 4". I'm not sure how to tell exactly, as we bought it that way. It has new 33" bf Goodrich all terrain tires. I'm 5'7" and Renee an inch shorter. With my height and bad knees I have to pull myself in with the steering wheel. I put the step on the passenger side. The pressed in nuts on my side of the frame slip and spin, so it won't tighten. I'll take some pics and maybe someone can help with a step.
We are also strongly considering lowering it to stick also. Not sure what parts we would need besides shocks. I have no other original suspension parts (if any came off for the lift kit)

Step on passenger side needs to be 3"-6" lower
20180331_193804.jpg
20180331_193737.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
You can measure the lift easily: On level ground, unloaded, measure the length of the coil spring without the rubber isolator. Stock is 12", anything over is your lift. I have seen electric retractable steps, not sure they are available for the TJ but worth looking into. You could also run a tube nerf bar and add a step to that. Probably won't be 8-10" lower but maybe half that or a bit more.

You can measure the lift easily: On level ground, unloaded, measure the length of the coil spring without the rubber isolator. Stock is 12", anything over is your lift. I have seen electric retractable steps, not sure they are available for the TJ but worth looking into. You could also run a tube nerf bar and add a step to that. Probably won't be 8-10" lower but maybe half that or a bit more.

Thanks, I'll check the lift. 10" was too much. From the other step just another 3 or 4 or 5" would do fine

I’m camping and fishing right now, but when I get home I will get you more info on my steps with pictures. If you look back through my content there is a picture of them. They are not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the rockslide engineering steps/sliders. I would love to get them on my TJ. My wife's JK has them and they are well worth the high cost because you get the drop step when you open the door and they suck back up into the slider when you close it. They are an actual rock slider too unlike amp research steps. The only downside is if you remove the doors, the sensors have no way of knowing whether or not to drop down the steps so you have to shut them off until the doors are back down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kevin Bruce and JMT
With my height and bad knees I have to pull myself in with the steering wheel.
There are a selection of grab bars (solid metal handles) and grab handles (soft rope-type that attach to your roll bar) sold on Amazon and any number of online off road stores that will help immensely with ingress and egress. Not so sure getting rid of your flares will help, however... ;)

Not sure what parts we would need besides shocks. I have no other original suspension parts (if any came off for the lift kit)
Hard to say without pics all around underneath. Possibly a number of things, possibly a few. Pics!

If you do decide to lower back to stock, you'll need tires. 33s won't fit. Springs, shocks, possibly a track bar. I doubt the control arms would need to be changed. I have springs and a factory trackbar that you may have for shipping, if you'd like.

Mine are Rockslide Engineering. Last time I looked they cost around $1500. Plus installation. Mine came with my Jeep. I would never had paid that much for steps but they are nice and they take a beating in the rocks. Pictures to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered just throwing a pair of these guys in?

Grab handles also work wonders. I gave a pair to a friend of mine who owns a JK. She has back issues and she says the velcro grab handles really help her out.

Last edited: