Looking for suspension / lift recommendations

jmess

Hi wranglertjfourm, this is my first post here and i need some advice on a future lift upgrade on my 2006 tj X with an auto tranny and the 4.0L. This will be the first mod on this cream puff 44000 mile jeep. I'm looking to put on 33" tires and i need suspension recommendations to comply. I went down to my local jeep shop(my mechanic is know for jeeps) and they said i need pretty much a whole new suspension(bushings, shocks, springs, track bar, the whole thing). so i would love to hear some recommendations on suspension parts. i also daily drive this jeep and i need something that would work highway driving as well as some minor off roading. so, if any of you could help me out with, a good lift kit(2-2.5) and pretty much all the parts necessary to do a full rebuild of my suspension(also if i need to make any other modifications to my jeep is i put on the parts suggested). I'm on a budget but, there is no price on safety, so i would like it to be the best i can get while still being safe.

thanks much,
Jonathan

Your 06 X auto will have the Dana 30/35 combo and 3.73 gears. A TJ with the 42rle isn't geared low enough from the factory for even stock tires, IMO. 33's with the stock gears will be absolutely dreadful. I've been there. You will need 4.88 gears for 33's with that transmission. Re-gearing alone is not a budget friendly process, and many believe it is not worth it to dump that kind of money into a Dana 35 rear axle, unless you are also upgrading to a Super 35 at the same time.
As far as the lift, there are many options to run 33" tires. I chose a cheaper lift and ended up having to replace it all later with better parts.
A 4.25" combo lift is what many, like myself, have gone with. 3" springs + 1.25" body lift. After that you will either need to drop your transfer case skid with spacers, or install a SYE (slip yoke eliminator), double cardon rear shaft, and adjustable control arms. Savvy, Currie, Rokmen, Metalcloak are the only short arms I would run after having to replace 8 cheapo arms I bought previously.
Then you will need track bars to re-center your axles, brakes to stop the 33's, and most likely replace the thin weak stock tie rod.
Welcome to TJ ownership, where doing a little takes a lot!

To run 33s and not completely break the bank, I would suggest a 2.5" lift with a 1.25" body lift.

There are a number of ways to do this, but the most important thing is going to be choosing the right shocks. My recommendation for the best riding "off the shelf" shocks would be the Rancho RS5000X shocks.

Pair those with a set of springs (I would recommend either the OME springs or the Pro Comp springs) and you'll have 2.5" of suspension lift.

Then you'll want to add a 1.25" body lift.

This will give you a lift that rides well and doesn't break the bank as I mentioned above. You'll also be able to utilize the stock control arms with this setup, though you will either need a SYE (see here: The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread) or a transfer case drop.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
To run 33s and not completely break the bank, I would suggest a 2.5" lift with a 1.25" body lift.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, i'm thinking of doing a 2.5 and 1.25 body lift

So, i'm slightly confused @Chris . @TJDaveX said i will need to redo all of the axles, you didn't mention that once in your explanation. so, is it true that with my 06 tj X i will need to re-gear?

Once again thanks for the help.
-Jon

Your 06 X auto will have the Dana 30/35 combo and 3.73 gears. A TJ with the 42rle isn't geared low enough from the factory for even stock tires, IMO. 33's with the stock gears will be absolutely dreadful. I've been there. You will need 4.88 gears for 33's with that transmission. Re-gearing alone is not a budget friendly process, and many believe it is not worth it to dump that kind of money into a Dana 35 rear axle, unless you are also upgrading to a Super 35 at the same time.
As far as the lift, there are many options to run 33" tires. I chose a cheaper lift and ended up having to replace it all later with better parts.
A 4.25" combo lift is what many, like myself, have gone with. 3" springs + 1.25" body lift. After that you will either need to drop your transfer case skid with spacers, or install a SYE (slip yoke eliminator), double cardon rear shaft, and adjustable control arms. Savvy, Currie, Rokmen, Metalcloak are the only short arms I would run after having to replace 8 cheapo arms I bought previously.
Then you will need track bars to re-center your axles, brakes to stop the 33's, and most likely replace the thin weak stock tie rod.
Welcome to TJ ownership, where doing a little takes a lot!

If stock, with the 06 X and a Dana 35, he more than likely has the 3.07 gears. So, it would be even worse on 33's. Some X special editions had the Dana 44 with the 3.73. My RME falls into this category.

You will not absolutely need to re-gear. Turning off the overdrive every time you start it will get you by until you can re-gear. Overdrive will be useless and bog your Jeep down, lessen fuel economy, and will be hard on the trans

Thanks for the recommendations guys, i'm thinking of doing a 2.5 and 1.25 body lift

So, i'm slightly confused @Chris . @TJDaveX said i will need to redo all of the axles, you didn't mention that once in your explanation. so, is it true that with my 06 tj X i will need to re-gear?

Once again thanks for the help.
-Jon

He's right to some degree.

You won't need track bars with only 2.5" of suspension lift. You COULD purchase them, but your axles will only be off maybe 1/4" laterally at most, and that will have absolute no effect whatsoever over the way your vehicle drives or performs. I've run a 2.5" lift before without adjustable track bars, and it's not a big deal at all. I don't even recommend adjustable track bars to people until they get over 3" of lift.

As for upgrading the axles to run 33s, yes and no.

If you plan on driving it on-road only, you'll be just fine with the stock axles, (though you will want to have it re-geared to gain the lost power back that you'll get when you go to 33s).

However, if you plan on doing any serious off-roading, you'll need to get chromoly axle shafts and turn your Dana 35 axle into a Super 35 ideally.

The re-gear is optional, though you'll find out that life with the 42RLE transmission on 33s with 3.73 gearing will really, really suck. But again, it's not going to break anything if you don't re-gear, it will just suck to drive since your transmission will always be hunting for gears.

I strongly suggest you read these threads:
A Beginners Guide to Lifting Your Jeep Wrangler TJ
Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?
What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)

You'll understand a lot of you digest the information in those threads.

If stock, with the 06 X and a Dana 35, he more than likely has the 3.07 gears. So, it would be even worse on 33's. Some X special editions had the Dana 44 with the 3.73. My RME falls into this category.
You are one of the lucky few X owners with a Dana 44. I wish mine was a RME when I bought it. I had to swap a Dana 44 in mine. I am pretty sure all 42rle equipped TJs came with 3.73 gear with exception of the Rubicon with 4.10.

Last edited:
Reactions: mots
do any of you have any ideas of the prices around a good re-gearing kit or which one to buy? if any of you could help me make a parts list for this whole suspension(and now re-gear) project that would be great.

-Jon

do any of you have any ideas of the prices around a good re-gearing kit or which one to buy? if any of you could help me make a parts list for this whole suspension(and now re-gear) project that would be great.

-Jon

Jon, you will want to have the re-gear done by a professional shop. It is not something that most would do at home, even for folks that replace engines, transmissions etc. It takes a special skillset.

Plug in your VIN here and see what your factory axle ratio is and let us know:
https://www.vindecoderz.com

You are one of the lucky few X owners with a Dana 44. I wish mine was a RME when I bought it. I had to swap a Dana 44 in mine. I am pretty sure all 42rle equipped TJs came with 3.73 gear with exception of the Rubicon will 4.10.

Yessir. The Dana 44 was on my checklist when I was looking for a TJ. I also wanted a manual, but drove several autos as well in my search. I'm fairly certain I drove an 04 X with the 4 speed auto and the 3.07 gears. It only had 31's and was a complete dog. With 3.73 it would have probably have been live-able. I knew someone else that said they were running the factory 3.07 in an 05 X auto as well. If I am mistaken, please let me know.

@mots i have the 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio

Cool. I have a 05 X manual 6 speed with a 3.73 Dana 44. I really wanted 33's when I bought my TJ, but settled for 32's since it would cost over $1000 for a re-gear and the lift would also become more costly. I also decided I didn't want a 3" lift since that would take me the SYE direction to do it properly. I also didn't want a body lift since I wanted to stay as close to stock as possible. I also didn't want to deal for poor performance until I felt like dropping the dough to re-gear. In hindsight, going with a 2" lift and 32's were a great decision for me and for how I use my TJ. 32's still look great.

The 6 spd manual allows me to be at pretty much any RPM I want in any situation, so it really hasn't been a big deal for me. Unfortunately, the TJ's fitted with the 4 spd automatic trans have the aforementioned annoying limitation. You essentially lose OD and are stuck with 3 automatic gears. I'll allow the auto owners and other more experienced re-gear experts to give you recommendations on products, ratios etc. I'm sure the guys here can give exact recommendations (there are also tons of threads on this topic alone). Just be prepared to spend some decent $ to regear and make sure you find an experienced and reputable shop to do it.

Here is my TJ on BDS 2" lift and 32x11.5xR15 tires on wheels with 3.75" backspacing.
Just offering the case that sometimes less is more. Still has that classic TJ look and it kept me from spending thousands more trying to run 33's properly. With 33's I would have had to extend my 3rd brake light higher. Things I hadn't even thought about at first.
Lifted on 32 inch tires.jpg
More pics here if you are interested:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/mots-2005-x-rocky-mountain-edition-oem-build.12446/

@TJDaveX I think you are right that "all 42rle equipped TJs came with the 3.73 ratio". I went back and looked at the info on the 04 X I test drove. It was listed on autotrader as 3.07, but when I plugged the VIN in it shows 3.73. The 05 X I mentioned is not likely a stock Jeep anyhow (was cobbled together and runs a V8 I believe), so I ran a couple other X models with the 42rle that I found online listed as having the 3.07. Guess what, when I ran their VIN's they come up as 3.73. Either way, OD was still disappointing with 31's with that trans, hahaha! Anyhow, thanks for the useful info! It makes sense that Jeep would not have used the 3.07.

Reactions: Tjrubicon