Looking for thoughts and opinions on Rough Country high clearance skid plate

03sahara

TJ Enthusiast
Looking for thoughts on RC high clearance skid plate. I found a used one for a decent price within my budget. Has anyone installed one is it decent or just garbage? I know I need to have a sye, dc driveshaft adjustable control arms and a body lift with mml. I’m slowly gathering parts to do all of this I’m not looking to do a flat tt just looking to get rid of the stock shovel and gain a bit of clearance.

Thanks in advance

Well I mean it's Rough Country and my general opinion of them is for the most part, everything they make is garbage.

A better option would be a UCF aluminum skid. Lighter weight and better quality than Rough Country.

Reactions: sideproject
I understand ucf or savvy is the way to go but shipping something that size and weight to Canada isn’t very cheap.

Looking for thoughts on RC high clearance skid plate. I found a used one for a decent price within my budget. Has anyone installed one is it decent or just garbage? I know I need to have a sye, dc driveshaft adjustable control arms and a body lift with mml. I’m slowly gathering parts to do all of this I’m not looking to do a flat tt just looking to get rid of the stock shovel and gain a bit of clearance.

Thanks in advance
Make sure all of the mounting hardware is there. Don't trust the coating that is on there, prep it well.

Please don't put UCF in the same category as Savvy. They're not in the same league.
I agree with you when it comes to most other parts, but for the aluminum skid plate you cant go wrong with either Savvy or UCF. Savvy’s is literally just a flat plate of 6061.

I agree with you when it comes to most other parts, but for the aluminum skid plate you cant go wrong with either Savvy or UCF. Savvy’s is literally just a flat plate of 6061.
The difference to keep it short and simple is the savvy aluminum skid is designed to be made out of aluminum the UCF is a steel skid made from aluminum.

The savvy skid is not literally a flat plate. It is literally made from a flat plate, it is literally a plate with bends in it that reduce ground clearance only where it needs to be reduced.

The UCF is literally their steel skid made from aluminum. It reduces ground clearance across almost the entire width of the vehicle. It doesn't have a separate xmember (which is an awesome feature to have and recommend adding an xmemver whatever skid you choose). They have large holes at the corners which grab on obstacles. I experienced this because i owned the UCF HC skid and it dug in on wood obstacles terribly. They weld the corners of aluminum 6061 which completely anneals the material in that area.

IMO from a functional design and implementation perspective they're not in the same league.

Reactions: Ephry73 and TWiG01
Ah, didn't realize that. What about if you make your own crossmember?
There's the Genright crossmember kit you can pick up and weld yourself and just order the "expert" aluminum UCF skid separately.

Edit: There are also generic "muscle" car kits that may be easily adapted to the frame for half the price was well. Since you're in Canada it may be cheaper and easier this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: B00mb00m
Is the transmission mount the only thing that changed between the years? If so then that would be a great option if savvy would sell just the aluminum pan. Maybe @mrblaine can answer?
The problem for Savvy was that there are no compatible parts between the later Under Armor, Early for manual and any with the 32RH. Every aspect is different between the 32 and other applications. No parts cross-over = no parts at all. The 32 would have to be a distinct and separate product due to all the differences. They could sell you the pan, by the time you get through cutting, hacking and drilling, you could make one.

Reactions: Gollywomper
If it's cheap enough, and you understand the pros and cons, RC is a better alternative than the stock shovel. Just be careful to treat, for rust, where the skid meets the frame. In the end, your Jeep, your money!

Reactions: Ephry73
There's the Genright crossmember kit you can pick up and weld yourself and just order the "expert" aluminum skid separately.
Edit: There are also generic "muscle" car kits that may be easily adapted to the frame for half the price was well. Since you're in Canada it may be cheaper and easier this way.