Looking for thoughts and opinions on the Antirock

Will the AR front still allow full articulation? Say using all available travel from a 12” shock?

Will the AR front still allow full articulation? Say using all available travel from a 12” shock?
An Antirock definitely does NOT reduce usable articulation. If it did it wouldn't have helped John Currie to win the overall ARCA series rock crawling national championship. He was running Antirocks front and rear on his Fireant TJ, I was fortunate to have been there to have taken these photos.

2002_0921_123805AA.JPG
2002_0921_124018AA.JPG
2002_0921_124616AA.JPG
2002_0921_134628AA.JPG

An Antirock definitely does NOT reduce usable articulation. If it did it wouldn't have helped John Currie to win the overall ARCA series rock crawling national championship. He was running Antirocks front and rear on his Fireant TJ, I was fortunate to have been there to have taken these photos.

View attachment 253931View attachment 253932View attachment 253933View attachment 253934
I understand how valuable it is and why it is used. Not doubting it effectiveness. Just wondering if all 12” of shock would still be utilized?

I understand how valuable it is and why it is used. Not doubting it effectiveness. Just wondering if all 12” of shock would still be utilized?
The key is to understand that if everything else is set up properly, an Antirock will not restrict the axle's ability to provide all the usable flex the suspension can produce. There is a limit to usable flex where you still have downforce available from the springs to help the tire maintain contact with the ground. Without sufficient downforce available on the tire, that is when flex/articulation becomes unusable.

Reactions: Gollywomper
The key is to understand that if everything else is set up properly, an Antirock will not restrict the axle's ability to provide all the usable flex the suspension can produce. There is a limit to usable flex where you still have downforce available from the springs to help the tire maintain contact with the ground. Without sufficient downforce available on the tire, that is when flex/articulation becomes unusable.
Thanks. Was just curious if there was a point at which we could have too much shock travel. More than the AR would ever allow? Again was not stirring the pot. At least not this time.......😝

View attachment 253931View attachment 253932View attachment 253933View attachment 253934
Wow thats hardly a TJ after all those mods! Haha
What engine was he using?
It is kinda odd having 5 vs 7 lines in the grill

Wow thats hardly a TJ after all those mods! Haha
What engine was he using?
It is kinda odd having 5 vs 7 lines in the grill
4.7L Jeep V-8, Grand Cherokee 5-speed automatic, 3.01:1 Atlas II tcase. Yep it was a bitchin' work of art for sure, I loved seeing it there. At one point he rolled it upside-down and ATF leaked out through the dipstick tube and formed a large red stain on the dirt. It reminded me of a bleeding beast lol.

• Love
Reactions: TJim and WSS
Thanks. Was just curious if there was a point at which we could have too much shock travel. More than the AR would ever allow? Again was not stirring the pot. At least not this time.......😝

We will be limited by spring travel long before an Antirock will limit the shock travel. Meaning the spring will unseat. Mine is just past that point on the front. With 12s and Currie 4".

I’m late to the party, but my advice is if it is strictly a trail rig that sees no road miles, the Antirock is appropriate. If it sees any road miles or highway speeds, an Antirock is unsafe poorly suited to the task, and the swayloc would be the better choice in that case.

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
Reactions: strumble8
Thanks. Was just curious if there was a point at which we could have too much shock travel. More than the AR would ever allow? Again was not stirring the pot. At least not this
I’m late to the party, but my advice is if it is strictly a trail rig that sees no road miles, the Antirock is appropriate. If it sees any road miles or highway speeds, an Antirock is unsafe, and the swayloc would be the better choice in that case.
Why is it unsafe?

I’m late to the party, but my advice is if it is strictly a trail rig that sees no road miles, the Antirock is appropriate. If it sees any road miles or highway speeds, an Antirock is unsafe....
I dunno who told you that but stop listening to them. As one who has driven 99% on the road with two different Antirock equipped TJs over the past 15+ years I have to call absolutely pure Bullshit on that wild baseless claim. Even while towing my pop-up tent trailer on winding mountain roads. My TJ with a 4" Currie lift and 35" tires handles just fine, so much so that no one is honking their horns behind me... as in I keep up with traffic on such roads with zero unsafe handling traits or problems.

We will be limited by spring travel long before an Antirock will limit the shock travel. Meaning the spring will unseat. Mine is just past that point on the front. With 12s and Currie 4".
How do you like the swayloc? Is it softer than the AR when running on the small torsion bar?

How do you like the swayloc? Is it softer than the AR when running on the small torsion bar?
In soft mode mine is set to be nearly identical to where the Antirock was, so no difference that I can perceive. The difference is in what it does in street mode. I like it much more than the AR on pavement.

Reactions: Gollywomper