Looking for thoughts on this engine noise

MikeE024

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I get this engine noise about once a month when starting the vehicle. Was able to capture the noise after restarting it.

Can't tell because of the short length of the vid, but did the noise stop by itself after only a second or so?
Yea it stopped on its own.

The noise happened so I shut off the engine then started it again after hitting record.

If it was that loud and stopped like someone flipped a switch shortly after starting, seems like a collapsed lifter to me. It's probably worth trying one of those engine oil cleaners like marvel mystery oil or the like, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. After that, I'd pull the valve cover and check the tightness of the push rods. Does this happen just when it's cold?

Reactions: MikeE024
If it was that loud and stopped like someone flipped a switch shortly after starting, seems like a collapsed lifter to me. It's probably worth trying one of those engine oil cleaners like marvel mystery oil or the like, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. After that, I'd pull the valve cover and check the tightness of the push rods. Does this happen just when it's cold?
Thanks for this input. I'm about due for an oil change so ill look into adding an additive before the change.

I believe it only happens when the engine is cold started.

Regarding ambient temperature, I thought it only happened when it was approximately 50F or less, but it just happened in that video when it was more around 60F-65F. I've been assessing, but this only happens about once a month and has only happened about 5 times so far.

Sounds like a leaky, sticking lifter.

You can also try a high mileage oil which has more detergents in it.

Used M1 HM in my YJ several yrs ago to clean one up.

Glad you mentioned this.

After purchasing the jeep last spring I put in Valvoline Max Life after seeing the good reviews in here. I may have used Mobile EP (non-HM) during the last change, so ill go with a HM again (Mobile HM or Maxlife) to see if anything changes.

Sounds like a leaky, sticking lifter.

First, disconnect serp, belt see if it stops if not Get engine stethoscope, I needed one to find bad lower rod bearings it saved my crank shaft for the re-build.

First, disconnect serp, belt see if it stops if not Get engine stethoscope, I needed one to find bad lower rod bearings it saved my crank shaft for the re-build.
I have a stethoscope but the noise only lasts about five seconds or less and only happens about once a month. I’ll definitely get my listening tool against it if the time/duration allows me to do so.

I can't listen at work, but maybe one of the rear exhaust manifolds are loose, or you have a crack back there?

I can't listen at work, but maybe one of the rear exhaust manifolds are loose, or you have a crack back there?
No cracks that I know of like I had on my 99. It doesn’t sound the same to me as a cracked manifold and it only lasts for about 5 seconds on start up (approximately once a month).

Yeah, if it stops that abruptly I don't think it's an exhaust leak. Lifters have kinda little spring loaded hydraulic pumps in them that get "stiffer" when they have oil in them. They normally retain oil for a long time but the pumps can get gummed up and leak the oil out and will clatter before they get pumped up again with oil again. Hopefully that's your issue and hopefully they can be freed up with some of that oil flush stuff. I'm not a big believer but it's worth a shot for as cheap as it is. Also maybe play around with a 5w-30 or even 0w-30 weight to see how that effects it.

My jeep had the same noise after setting. I know it was an sticky lifter, Was so bad at times it would miss till it pumped up. Had most of a bottle of Motorkote and dumped in. And not a peck since. I'm not a fan of additive's but had bought it for something else.

My jeep had the same noise after setting. I know it was an sticky lifter, Was so bad at times it would miss till it pumped up. Had most of a bottle of Motorkote and dumped in. And not a peck since. I'm not a fan of additive's but had bought it for something else.
Awesome. I’ve had sea foam laying around for a while, so I’ll try that and then I’ll try motorkote if this doesn’t work.

Just got HM Valvoline so we shall see how it goes.

Thanks for the help on this everyone. I’ll check back in if/when the noise comes back.

A five second noise once a month, I don't know if I'd worry about that. I wouldn't but you do you.
Thanks for letting me know I can make my own decisions lol. ;)

I was more worried about how bad this might be (bc it sounds really bad when it happens). Sounds like I might be all good, but time will tell.

Reactions: pagrey
You could search for the countless other threads on this exact issue with videos of the same noise or crack jokes, either works. You can make your own decisions.
I did multiple searches. Later, I made a thread since I was lucky to capture the noise. I then did many other things before eventually having the honor and privilege to poke fun at your nonsense.