Looking for upgrade ideas?

Blackthorne

Jeep ownership is a series of ups and downs haha...posted a week or so about my frame having a hole. Good news, it looks like I found a shop that can fix it.

Better news? The bank of wife has allowed me to dip into the savings a bit, and put some work into my rig.
Taking the probable cost of the crossmember replacement out, I’ll have about $2k to play with.

For a solid on-road, capable “let’s see where this road/trail leads” Jeep, within that budget, what would be some things to look into upgrading?

This is the best thing you can do with that budget - you'll have a pretty decent multipurpose offroader.

Yep. And unless you're really looking to do some serious playing in the rocks, anything more is simply not necessary.

Reactions: Tob
I agree with Chris and I’ll say add a winch. Drive the weee out of it to figure what upgrades you need next.

I figured suspension/lift and tires. I’m researching winches. Would capping the bumper/fender (removing the milk jugs) be a good idea before diving into replacements?

Reactions: Tioga river Rat
Definitely! Unless you're into the "faded milk jug" look. Which, I hear, is making a comeback!

• Haha
But seriously, no need to cap the bumper ends after milk jug removal. The bumpers will function just fine without them. I'd suggest sticking with the stock bumpers for now and adding a recovery point in both the front and rear. There are a number of bolt-on options for those.

I’ve always heard cap them to avoid water getting in. Or could that actually trap water?
They're completely open on the backside.
p.s. If you have the big milk jugs, you can replace them with the better looking flat end caps.
TJ bumper caps.jpg

TJ bumper.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Jeep ownership is a series of ups and downs haha...posted a week or so about my frame having a hole. Good news, it looks like I found a shop that can fix it.

Better news? The bank of wife has allowed me to dip into the savings a bit, and put some work into my rig.
Taking the probable cost of the crossmember replacement out, I’ll have about $2k to play with.

For a solid on-road, capable “let’s see where this road/trail leads” Jeep, within that budget, what would be some things to look into upgrading?
2" OME, Rancho 5000X shocks, a few creature comforts, 31's or 32's, go have fun.