STICKY Looking for used parts for your TJ?

They are pretty straight forward too lol. I submitted a parts request online and got back an email that simply said “do not have”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

This ought to be a sticky by now, I'm surprised I didn't do this sooner.

If you've never been to http://car-part.com, be sure to bookmark it now.

This website searches a nationwide database of nearly every auto wrecking yard in the United States. You can search by zip code, vehicle, and even drill down to the exact part you're looking for (i.e. hood).

It will then come back with a list of every auto wrecking yard within X miles of you who has that part. Many of them have the condition of the part, the price of the part, and photos as well.

This is an invaluable resource for anyone who is looking for replacement parts for their TJ. I've known about this website for 6 or 7 years now, and I use it quite frequently.
Late to the party but want to thank you for this. I had no idea! I've been looking at G2 Dana 44 for $4k-6k. This pointed me to a Dana 44 from the same year as my Jeep for $1350 and 12 miles away. Now I've just got to find a buddy in the area that knows what we are looking at so I don't get screwed. Anyway, great post!

Late to the party but want to thank you for this. I had no idea! I've been looking at G2 Dana 44 for $4k-6k. This pointed me to a Dana 44 from the same year as my Jeep for $1350 and 12 miles away. Now I've just got to find a buddy in the area that knows what we are looking at so I don't get screwed. Anyway, great post!

Happy to help! This is a great website for browsing the inventory of auto wrecking yards all over the U.S.

I've used it to find countless numbers of parts!

Reactions: TenThumbs

This website searches a nationwide database of nearly every auto wrecking yard in the United States. You can search by zip code, vehicle, and even drill down to the exact part you're looking for (i.e. hood).

It will then come back with a list of every auto wrecking yard within X miles of you who has that part. Many of them have the condition of the part, the price of the part, and photos as well.

This is an invaluable resource for anyone who is looking for replacement parts for their TJ. I've known about this website for 6 or 7 years now, and I use it quite frequently.
this is awesome , Thanks

Reactions: Chris
It's a great site to find replacement parts. They have an app for your phone as well and its easy to use.

Got one for Canada?

I was under the impression that site worked for Canada as well, no?
Most parts are USA parts/ wreckers for me in western Canada. Might be better in eastern Canada.
Haven't had much luck yet. The wreckers here are often "you find it - you pull it" (pick-your-part) or people that just part out cheap wrecks they pick up.
Thanks for help, though.
Huge fan of the site - you are a wealth of help and information.
Cheers

I've bought alot of stuff at junkyards over the years. Transferred an entire interior from one Thunderbird to another on time. And a GM soft top for a mid 70's Oldsmobile. That was an adventure. Thing probably weighed 400lbs. But back then you had to call or more than likely drive around to various junkyards in your area and talk to "Jimbo. Out back!".

And then hope they have the car you're looking for and the part. And if they didn't. They had a cb radio tuned to a channel that all the other junk yards monitored. And they'd ask everyone in town if they had the part. Then it switched to phones. And now the internet.

I recently bought a set of almost new seats from car-parts.com and it astounded me how fast I found them (I imean it probably searched hundreds of junk yards with one click.), what great condition they were in and the price. (Both for the item. And how cheap freight was.) I paid probably $300 for the seats and $100 to ship them what equaled to a state or two away. Norcal to Socal. With the brackets. Which make up the bulk of a seats weight. They are heavy.

But I do agree. They could use better cameras. Every photo I saw was taken on a 1999 flip phone. I swear. lol. But alot of them around here post photos of the entire Jeep too. So you can see how well taken care of it was or wasn't. I appreciate that.

The only other thing I'll say is if you're looking for NEW parts. www.rockauto.com is the car-parts.com of new parts. If everyone kept those two sites rock auto and car-parts. I doubt very much you'd ever get skunked.

I may be mistaken but in each new part category rock auto has just about every manufacturer. So if you're looking for a belt lets say. You'll get six different belts to choose from from ultra cheap to oem. They've really got you covered. And if you use their search engine or google. It's alot more reliable than most of the top auto parts stores websites.

Most parts are USA parts/ wreckers for me in western Canada. Might be better in eastern Canada.
Haven't had much luck yet. The wreckers here are often "you find it - you pull it" (pick-your-part) or people that just part out cheap wrecks they pick up.
Thanks for help, though.
Huge fan of the site - you are a wealth of help and information.
Cheers

No problem! Wish I could be of more help. I'm happy to hear you enjoy the site though (y)

This is an invaluable resource for anyone who is looking for replacement parts for their TJ. I've known about this website for 6 or 7 years now, and I use it quite frequently
Car-part.com is how I found a hard top near me at a junkyard. All the ones I saw on Craigslist were going for about 900-1000 bucks, but I got a junkyard deal for a top in great shape. Only $750.

Car-part.com is how I found a hard top near me at a junkyard. All the ones I saw on Craigslist were going for about 900-1000 bucks, but I got a junkyard deal for a top in great shape. Only $750.

That's a great deal! Sometimes you can find some good prices on there for sure. It's a great resource.

Reactions: sahara2000
I'm looking for the black windjammer metal rail, that the windjammer locks under to keep it tight. It attaches below the rear seat, on the top lip of the tub. It is black with five screws. Mine was taken out by a body shop, when they did my bedliner and they didn't replace it. If anyone has one, please post a picture and price wanted for it. Thanks.