Looking into buying a lift for the shop

bucky

Old Fart
Supporting Member
I’m getting too old to crawl under vehicles to do maintenance and repairs. I’m looking at getting a 10K lb 2 post lift for the shop. I’ve been looking around the net and youtube and see that quality is all over the place. Seems like the manufacturers can place any weight rating they want.
What do you guys have and what tips do you have on what to look for. My budget is 5-6K$ and I do not want to be disappointed with my purchase after I have it installed.

Reactions: John Cooper
I bought a used lift for that reason... Wanted to make sure it was quality. I ended up getting a Rotary lift from the 1980's. Picked it up for $750. Works like a champ.

Screenshot_20211025-225602~2.png

Wish I could find a used one. I’ve never seen them on the used market. I think I’ll get the BendPak XPR-10XLS. I do not want any Chinese shit. I have no idea what the psi rating is for my floor which was poured in the 70s and has no cracks in the area I want to place it in. I may have to cut out the floor and put in footings. My ceiling height is 12’ but I have 14.6’ between the trusses. I’m 6’ and want to be able to stand upright under the vehicle to work.
Thanks for the help it’s a big investment and I want to be happy with it.

Wish I could find a used one. I’ve never seen them on the used market. I think I’ll get the BendPak XPR-10XLS. I do not want any Chinese shit. I have no idea what the psi rating is for my floor which was poured in the 70s and has no cracks in the area I want to place it in. I may have to cut out the floor and put in footings. My ceiling height is 12’ but I have 14.6’ between the trusses. I’m 6’ and want to be able to stand upright under the vehicle to work.

You need to be careful with the overall height. I run into issues with the length of my car and slope of the roof.

Reactions: Rick Flair
From their site - Designed and engineered by BendPak Inc. in Southern California, USA. Made in China. They are still one of the better manufacturers.

Reactions: 1o1proof
Good choice. I’m also tall, 6’4”. I purchased their 9K lift 30 years ago used and have had zero problems with it.

I know Mohawk is made in the US, but not sure who else is. IMO any ALI certified lift would be a good choice. And to save you some looking, here is a quick description …

What is ALI Certification? ... These certifications mean the lifts have been certified under the current edition of the ANSI/ALI ALCTV “Safety Requirements for the Construction, Testing, and Validation of Automotive Lifts.” This is a comprehensive set of standards for constructing lifts that will be safe and reliable

I’ve seen the videos of the cheap Chinese units failing to lift anywhere close to their ratings. Impossible to find anything complex made in the US that does not have Chinese parts or steel.

Reactions: Blondie70